PDA

View Full Version : Is there a forum for: MY KIDS SCARE ME?

Melaine
02-04-2009, 10:55 AM
It finally happened.....the two two year olds locked me out of the house. I was afraid this day was coming. I ran to the car to get something out and was back like less than 2 minutes later. THEY HAD turned the deadbolt and LOCKED ME OUT. I have no doubt that they were probably trying to open the door. It's not like they didn't want me to come back or something but HOLY COW that was freaky. Of course, I had my keys since I had gone to the car, thank the Lord! I guess I won't be running out to get the mail or take the trash out anymore without my keys!:52:

Ceepa
02-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Yeah, the first time I realized DC was capable of turning the lock on the door but didn't know how to turn it back was the day I went to get the mail and ended up having to haul my pregnant body through the living room window. Thank goodness it was a nice day out and the windows were open!

Glad you had your keys.

Melaine
02-04-2009, 11:00 AM
I doubt I could've found an unlocked window at this time of year. It makes me panic to think what I would've had to do....

LarsMal
02-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Same thing happened to me last week, but I didn't have my keys. I was bringing groceries in, so I had dropped my keys inside with the first round of bags while I went to get more. DS locked me out- on purpose!!!! (Well, he bolted the door, I don't think he really realized he was locking me out.) He thought it was hysterical, until he saw the look on my face and heard the tone in my voice when I told him to OPEN.THE.DOOR. NOOOOWWWW!!! I got his favorite, "What my did, Mommy?" line when I got inside. grrr...

We have doors that open from the inside even if the door is locked. I hate them! If it's just DD home I always make sure I have my key if I run out real quick- she loves to close doors, but can't open them yet. Scary!

egoldber
02-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Sarah did that to me once, maybe when she was 3? I stepped out onto the deck and she was playing with the lock and turned the deadbolt. I was panicking since I had no key (and BTW, DH was out of the country at the time). My panic was making her panic, so I managed to calm myself and talk her through turning the deadbolt again. Since then I NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER leave the house without a key in my hand. NEVER.

linsei
02-04-2009, 11:08 AM
My ds (4.75) didn't lock me out until recently. I ran out to get the mail. Half way down the drive he opens the door and yells out "Mommy, you forgot to lock the door!" and he promptly closed and locked the door while I was yelling back something like "I didn't lock it because..." He's such a stickler for the "rules", especially if I break one. Good thing it happened before it was freezing cold outside :)

Melaine
02-04-2009, 11:09 AM
I am now adaquately prepared....I just need to remember when I am letting out the dog at 7:30 and am half asleep....to grab my keys at all costs! I am afraid that I couldn't explain to them to open the door before something terrible happened inside....

Melaine
02-04-2009, 11:12 AM
My ds (4.75) didn't lock me out until recently. I ran out to get the mail. Half way down the drive he opens the door and yells out "Mommy, you forgot to lock the door!" and he promptly closed and locked the door while I was yelling back something like "I didn't lock it because..." He's such a stickler for the "rules", especially if I break one. Good thing we had a lock box and it happened before it was freezing cold outside :)

I guess he was trying to be helpful! Mine are only 27 months right now and soooo unpredictable. There is no telling....I can see them locking me out then randomly taking everything out of the fridge while I bang and yell at the door.

KpbS
02-04-2009, 11:19 AM
DS1 did this at 18 mo. on April Fool's Day. Ha Ha! He was fascinated by locks and turned the lock when DH took out the trash. DH called me (out w/ friends for breakfast) and then we had to call the locksmith who also called the police! :shy: DS1 was having a blast in the spice drawer--think music shakers--and while he could lock the door, unlocking on command was too advanced.

mom_hanna
02-04-2009, 11:25 AM
We put a keypad on our garage door for the very reason that I was afraid I would get locked out of the house by my kids. It gives dh and me a huge peace of mind.

nov04
02-04-2009, 11:42 AM
dd1 did it when she was 2 1/4. I remember vividly because I was almost 9m pregnant!!!! I wriggled into the bathroom through a window with a burglar bar on it. she did the same thing to mil while i was having dd2 and mil couldn't figure out how I'd done it because it was hard for her (she petite and much thinner!).

secchick
02-04-2009, 01:44 PM
We have a keypad entry on the garage door, but for other emergencies (eg. like when DH locked himself out of the house when the power was out due to a hurricane and the garage door was still engaged) we are contemplating putting a door key in one of those fake rock things. Of course, I know they look fake and burglars know what to look for, so we plan on hiding it or burying it somewhere in the back yard or doing a magnetic key box and hiding it somewhere in our crawlspace foundation, but even if someone else did find it we still have an alarm system with a battery backup, so it's not like they'd get far. But I am paranoid that way. With our raised foundation being as tall as I am, there's no way I could reach and pull myself up as high as a window.

kijip
02-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Thankfully the one time this happened to me, we lived in an apartment. When I could not coax him to open it, I was able to get the master key from the onsite helper (not a manager, but a lady who kept the keys and vacuumed the hall for the owners). If we lived in the house we have now, I would have had to break a window to get back it.

buddyleebaby
02-04-2009, 02:22 PM
DD1 did it to me over the summer. I was out on the deck watering the plants. She wasn't able to open the door back up, but she was able to climb up on the kitchen island, retrieve my keys from the keyrack on the wall, open the window and hand them out to me.

WatchingThemGrow
02-04-2009, 02:54 PM
YUP, BTDT! The 2 yo locked me out of the house while the not quite 1yo was crawling around behind her. I was in the laundry room, which was a screened in porch. I had to run to a neighbor's house to get her key to get into another neighbor's house, but I couldn't find my key there. The one neighbor went back to my house and kept an eye on the kids through the window while I called MIL to come over. Before she got there, we coaxed DD into unlocking the deadbolt. It sucked. I need to go put all the keys back at the neighbors' houses, so thanks for the reminder.

ThreeofUs
02-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Yeah. DS1 went through a "closing doors is funny" phase that would have been a REAL problem if it weren't for the keys under the rock. I felt like I was raising Calvin (of Calvin & Hobbes, an old but favorite comic strip) when I sat him down to explain why it was dangerous.

catpagmo
02-04-2009, 05:25 PM
This happened to me a long time ago, before DD. I locked myself out. I installed a lock-box on the garage door (the door to the house) the next day, and our garage has a keypad on it. Just a scary situation! It has come in handy for the couple of times that DD has locked me out, too!