PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on BeRightBack vs. Packabe?

Ladybug47
02-04-2009, 02:46 PM
I am interested in the pros and cons of the two JuJuBe backpacks, BeRightBack and Packabe. This is my first child and I'd like a bag that will fit everything I need for daily outings, be smartly organized, and not be overly heavy or too much of a boxy, vertical black hole (which is kind-of what the Packabe looks like to me). I'm not totally set on specifically getting a JuJuBe backpack, but I've heard so many positive things about the brand that I figured it might be a good purchase.

Does anyone have any advice about which backpack might be the best option for me? I'm pretty sure I'd like a black backpack and want it to be one that my husband will not mind carrying as well. I'm open to any suggestions of other good, sturdy brands of diaper backpacks as well.

Your suggestions/advice/experiences would be much appreciated!

pastrygirl
02-04-2009, 03:14 PM
I've had both, and easily preferred the BRB. It was much, much more comfortable (and I even had the padded straps for the Packabe). I love the grab handle and all the compartments. I love the mesh that goes against your back, so you don't feel hot. I had to sell it because I needed funds and wasn't using it very often (too big for just a toddler).

My Packabe annoyed me because of the depth, and the fact that the zipper doesn't open all the way around. I pretty much just loaded a bunch of Be Quicks in there. It was fine while I had it, but when I decided to switch to the BRB, it was like a lightbulb went off. :)

WatchingThemGrow
02-04-2009, 03:24 PM
If you really want DH to carry it, you better let him pick it. My DH would do a Jansport or the LE Little Tripper, and sometimes the Skip Hop Dash, but only in Denim, and only for a short time. He'll wear the plain Jansport Equinox all day long, and it has great compartments.

Ladybug47
02-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Is the Jansport Equinox an actual diaper bag or just a regular backpack that can work as one?

Pastrygirl, how long did you use the BeRightBack before you had to switch bags to a smaller one because your toddler got too big to need all that stuff? Will it even be worth it for me to buy it if I'll have to downsize eventually? (We are planning on having more than one child eventually, if that matters at all.)

pastrygirl
02-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Honestly, I would not have sold it at all if I didn't need the funds for something else. I loved that bag and plan to buy another one in the future.

I had bought it for "big" summer outings when my son was 2 -- bathing suits, towels, etc. and just found that we weren't doing those kinds of outings very often. I'm a very light packer and wouldn't have needed a bag that big beyond the first 6 or 9 months as an everyday diaper bag.

I supposed one plus about the Packabe is that it doesn't seem as big as the BRB, so even if it's only half full, it doesn't seem like a waste to carry it. Does that make sense? :)

OTOH, the BRB is not nearly as big as it looks in the photos. It's not that much bigger than the Packabe, it's just laid out very differently.

ETA: I'm thinking of getting another BRB in time for baby #2, so that I have a hands-free option...

WatchingThemGrow
02-04-2009, 04:14 PM
The Jansport is just a regular backpack - http://www.bagsbuy.com/jansport-equinox/162283/371789?cm_mmc=frooglebags-_-none-_-none-_-none There are other colors, coupons, etc. You can play with them at REI maybe - or a university bookshop maybe. We have one large compartment for changes of clothes, toys, etc. a smaller one with the SH Pronto in it, and the front one for my little wallet, chapstick, etc. There are 2 stretch mesh pockets on the sides for drinks, and the straps, etc are all padded nicely. I think there's even a waist belt and chest clip, so it's a pretty substantial "gear" pack. But, when we're going out for the day or traveling, we use it - with enough stuff for both kids. For quick trips we use the LE Little Tripper...or we just have the Pronto thing in the bottom of the stroller. Sometimes, we hook the SH Dash on the back of the stroller. It just depends.

hlphillips2
02-11-2009, 10:19 PM
I adore the BeRightBack now that I have two kids, but until then it was just too big. I also have a Packabe and liked that better, but things do tend to get lost in there. The benefit with one kid (especially a baby) is that a lot of space is taken by larger things like burp cloths & a blanket.

The BRB allows for more organization which I love. I'm also not a big fan of backpacks, but if you're a backpack person you might like it more. However a blanket probably won't fit in the BRB easily unless it's very foldable.

ang79
02-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Is the packabe very heavy? I'm on the petite side (5'2", 116 lbs.) and normally don't like backpacks, but thought this might be useful for park days and summer outtings. I have a toddler still in dipes and an infant but consider myself a fairly light packer.

MamaKath
02-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Is the packabe very heavy? I'm on the petite side (5'2", 116 lbs.) and normally don't like backpacks, but thought this might be useful for park days and summer outtings. I have a toddler still in dipes and an infant but consider myself a fairly light packer.

It is heavier than a "normal" backpack. The prints are sharp. The Packabe is kind of rectangular and boxy, certainly diaper bag styling there. The organization is great, easy cleaning, practical and cute!

If you want something really light but not so boxy, check out some of the women's backpacks that Jansport makes or even the Lands End Original series of backpacks, though they are both sporty styles. Even the LeSportSac's are really super light!!! Oh and the Chester Style bags might also be worth a look if you are looking for light... http://www.chesterstyle.com/index.php?cPath=2&osCsid=9eb7041d5338754945ddccf4f3a0214f What about a Vera Bradley? They are cute and light.

tnrnchick74
02-11-2009, 11:19 PM
I LOVE my packabee. I don't have a problem with losing things in there, but it is pretty modular. I love that I don't HAVE to use it as a backpack, but can use it as a shoulder bag or messenger bag because of the adjustable straps.

Whatever JJB you decide, you won't go wrong! They are GREAT bags! I won't own another brand of diaper bag!

ang79
02-11-2009, 11:31 PM
Yes, I'm already getting addicted to JJB and Fleurville! So far I only own the smaller JJB bags though (BeSmart, BeSmall, some BeSet pieces) - much too small for two young ones, but I love the bags and figured I'll hang on to them and use them when they are older, since both styles are discontinued.

I love the organization and pockets of the JJB's, as well as the easy cleaning, which is why I was thinking about the packabe. Are there any other backpack style bags with good organization?

hlphillips2
02-14-2009, 09:09 PM
As far as heavy - the BRB is heavier than a hiking backpack, but I don't think it's heavier than most other diaper bags out there of the same size (though I've only had Vera Bradley before). I've read really great things about the Sherpa and the One Step Ahead backpack on this board. I considered those two before going for the BRB.