PDA

View Full Version : IUD insertion and questions (caution: possibly TMI)

caribbeanmama
02-05-2009, 02:06 AM
Hello all,
So DH and I decided that an IUD is the best BC option at this point for us. I had the ParaGard (copper IUD) inserted on Monday. My Dr. was great about making me feel as relaxed as possible during the insertion and I have to say that it was not that uncomfortable. Actually, the pelvic exam was more uncomfortable than the actual insertion, but that may have been because I was feeling really nervous to begin with.

Anyway, since Monday I had been spotting very lightly (light pink). Today, however, I have been bleeding, not just spotting, heavier - almost like having a light period. Is it normal to go from light spotting to bleeding after insertion?

My other question is that my Dr. didn't have me feel the string before leaving the office. Is this something that is routinely done? Do you have to feel the string after every period to make sure the IUD is in place?

My last concern is this (sorry, TMI): I just happened to take a look yesterday and my vaginal opening looks, ummm, let's just say "different". I was actually appalled by its appearance. Descriptions that come to mind: swollen, raw, flesh hanging out. Did anyone experienced this? I tried to explain this to my Dr. over the phone, but he did not think there was anything to be concerned about. We do have a follow up appt. in three weeks.

I am sorry if this post offends anyone, but I just need to ask these questions. Believe me it took me a while before clicking the "submit new thread" button :o TIA

o_mom
02-05-2009, 07:53 AM
I didn't have to feel the strings before leaving. They showed me a model and let me take a feel of those, but she said to just check them once in awhile (DH's job ;) ) The doctor saw them in place, so I'm not sure why they would have you feel them?

I have a Mirena, so I'm not sure on the bleeding. I was told spotting up to 3 months is normal. They usually try to time it with your period, so it could be that or just your period starting early. If it is not an alarming amount (less than a regular period) and you are not in pain beyond normal cramps I would give it a day or two and see.

On the last one... have you looked down there since your last child? Also, they have to put betadine on the whole area, so that can take some time to wear off and if you have any reaction to this it could make things swell, even just all the stuff being poked around down there could cause swelling. If it is still concerning at your follow up appointment, bring it up then.

SnuggleBuggles
02-05-2009, 09:51 AM
I didn't have to feel the strings before leaving. They showed me a model and let me take a feel of those, but she said to just check them once in awhile (DH's job ;) ) The doctor saw them in place, so I'm not sure why they would have you feel them?

I have a Mirena, so I'm not sure on the bleeding. I was told spotting up to 3 months is normal. They usually try to time it with your period, so it could be that or just your period starting early. If it is not an alarming amount (less than a regular period) and you are not in pain beyond normal cramps I would give it a day or two and see.

On the last one... have you looked down there since your last child? Also, they have to put betadine on the whole area, so that can take some time to wear off and if you have any reaction to this it could make things swell, even just all the stuff being poked around down there could cause swelling. If it is still concerning at your follow up appointment, bring it up then.

Yep, everything she said (especially the last part).

I have the copper IUD and it is my 2nd one. With the first one I had random bleeding and cramping throughout my first 3 cycles. Keep an eye for strange odor or any signs of infection but it sounds normal.

BEth

caribbeanmama
02-05-2009, 11:16 AM

I see. Maybe he saw that the string was in place and didn't feel it was necessary for me to feel it.

LOL! I know, after three vaginal births, yes things do look a bit different. But things were healing up nicely since my last birth (17 months ago). I guess I just did not expect it to look like I had just given birth all over again, kwim. It all makes sense though with all the poking, betadine, ect. Thanks for your input, it reassures me.

caribbeanmama
02-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Yep, everything she said (especially the last part).

I have the copper IUD and it is my 2nd one. With the first one I had random bleeding and cramping throughout my first 3 cycles. Keep an eye for strange odor or any signs of infection but it sounds normal.

BEth

Thank you Beth! Good to know there are some copper IUD users since Mirena seems to be so popular. We went with copper since we are still nursing. Also, my Dr. said "the beauty of the IUD is that there are no hormones". Not that I wound not have tried the Mirena, but he suggested the copper.

Tondi G
02-05-2009, 12:44 PM
I have the Paragard too! I had mine put in a year ago. I was towards the end of my period when my Ob put it in and I went from spotting to full on bleeding for a few extra days. I had a pretty uncomfortable insertion and ended up being sent for an Ultrasound to make sure everything was in the right place. The IUD was fine but they found a cyst on my ovary... weird!

I've been quite happy with my IUD... for the first month or so I guess.... I felt really aware of the IUD being in there. Don't know what it was but things felt swollen maybe... I dunno. Anyways that feeling went away and after a few cycles the really heavy bleeding calmed down. I have a couple of days needing a super tampon and other wise aside from my cycles being longer (around 9 days instead of 5) all is well. I do have some cramping the first day or so.

I've heard some not so wonderful things about the Mirena since I got my Paragard so I am happy with my choice! I would do it again. I am looking forward to either deciding to have a 3rd baby once and for all or having DH just go in for the Vasectomy and not having to be the one who deal with the BC anymore though! This was my compromise cause I told DH I didn't feel done and felt like we were too young to go with a V in case we changed our minds later on!

nrp
02-05-2009, 12:49 PM
I've heard some not so wonderful things about the Mirena since I got my Paragard so I am happy with my choice! I would do it again. I am looking forward to either deciding to have a 3rd baby once and for all or having DH just go in for the Vasectomy and not having to be the one who deal with the BC anymore though! This was my compromise cause I told DH I didn't feel done and felt like we were too young to go with a V in case we changed our minds later on!

Not to hijack, but I wondered what you heard about Mirena? I ask because I have had one for a couple months with no issues, but I always want to stay informed.

SnuggleBuggles
02-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Not to hijack, but I wondered what you heard about Mirena? I ask because I have had one for a couple months with no issues, but I always want to stay informed.

Not the one you were asking but I have heard some things too that make me happier about my choice. The one thing I have heard are mood issues. Now, because the hormones are supposed to be local only you aren't supposed to have that sort of trouble but I have heard several stories of mood changes and the people think the Mirena is to blame.

I have heard other random things but that sticks in my mind.

Beth

JenaW
02-05-2009, 03:14 PM
To the OP regarding your "swollen, raw, flesh" (OUCH!): I worked as a OBGYN PA in my pre-child life and inserted several IUDs (more mirena than paraguard, but the techniques are nearly identical). To help straighten the cervical canal and make insertion easier, we grasp a portion of the cervix with a tenaculum (think long tweezers with coated "teeth" or "graspers" at the end). For most people, this causes a short-lived, sharp cramping sensation. I usually had my patients cough when I would apply the tenaculum, as it not only makes the cervix a bit closer to my reach, it also causes enough momentary distraction to help minimize the pain (in theory!). The "teeth" of our tenaculums were coated in a soft material meant to minimize tissue damage, and in most cases, once the tenaculum is removed, other than a slight redness, you can't even tell where it was. HOWEVER, in some cases, women have a particularly sensitive (or often even friable - easily torn or bleeding) cervix. This could be the case for you. Also, depending on where you are in your cycle, you cervical position can change. At times it is closer to the vaginal opening. Early in the cycle, it can become swollen and tender, especially if you are bleeding heavily. I have seen a cervix or two during early menstruation that is so swollen and friable, it looks almost everted, and a lot like you are describing (fleshy and raw). Also, spotting or even frank bleeding is not uncommon after an IUD insertion (although not the rule) and is actually more common with the paragard than mirena. If you are sore or having cramping, try some ibuprofen for relief. Like pp mentioned, things should return to normal within a few days, but definitely mention it to your provider at your f/u if you are still concerned.

HTH
J

caribbeanmama
02-07-2009, 01:31 AM
To the OP regarding your "swollen, raw, flesh" (OUCH!): I worked as a OBGYN PA in my pre-child life and inserted several IUDs (more mirena than paraguard, but the techniques are nearly identical). To help straighten the cervical canal and make insertion easier, we grasp a portion of the cervix with a tenaculum (think long tweezers with coated "teeth" or "graspers" at the end). For most people, this causes a short-lived, sharp cramping sensation. I usually had my patients cough when I would apply the tenaculum, as it not only makes the cervix a bit closer to my reach, it also causes enough momentary distraction to help minimize the pain (in theory!). The "teeth" of our tenaculums were coated in a soft material meant to minimize tissue damage, and in most cases, once the tenaculum is removed, other than a slight redness, you can't even tell where it was. HOWEVER, in some cases, women have a particularly sensitive (or often even friable - easily torn or bleeding) cervix. This could be the case for you. Also, depending on where you are in your cycle, you cervical position can change. At times it is closer to the vaginal opening. Early in the cycle, it can become swollen and tender, especially if you are bleeding heavily. I have seen a cervix or two during early menstruation that is so swollen and friable, it looks almost everted, and a lot like you are describing (fleshy and raw). Also, spotting or even frank bleeding is not uncommon after an IUD insertion (although not the rule) and is actually more common with the paragard than mirena. If you are sore or having cramping, try some ibuprofen for relief. Like pp mentioned, things should return to normal within a few days, but definitely mention it to your provider at your f/u if you are still concerned.

HTH
J

WOW! Thank you, thank you JeraW for such detailed information. You are amazing! My Dr. did make me cough, but he nowhere nearly explained everything that way you are explaining it to me. You ladies rock!