PDA

View Full Version : Please help with recommendations!!!

Kalynsmom
02-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Hello - I am a first time mom with a 6 month-old and we need to get her a new stroller. Right now we are still using her Graco car seat and the snap and go (which we love), but she is just so unhappy. I am totally overwhelmed by the choices out there. Please help!! We live in the suburbs of DC so we drive almost everywhere, but we do go in to DC from time to time and use the metro. We also take long walks outside along sidewalks and paths and frequent a park near our house (no paved surfaces). Most of our travel is by car, but we will do some flying. Other important bits of info: I'm short, 5'1", and DH is about 6' tall so an adjustable handle bar would be great. DD is a pretty small baby (she's only 14 pounds at 6 months). We will be having at least one more child, so something that can be "expanded" would be nice, but is not a must. I'd like a good sun shade as it gets pretty hot here during the summer. Drink holders would be nice, as I usually take a bottle of water with me everywhere. I don't know that I really need a snack tray. Our diaper bags are Skip*Hop with the stroller straps. We love the easy manuverability of the snap and go, so good steering is essential. I'd also like something reasonably lightweight. We are planning to hit Buy Buy Baby this weekend to check out the strollers they have there, but I'd like to have some recommendations before we go. I am not willing to pay $600 for a stroller. Thanks for your help!

AnnieW625
02-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Let's see here I really like my Maclaren Triumph and it's been our main errand/travel/doctor stroller since DD was 3 mos. old. It has very few downsides in my honest opinion. It is a tippy stroller and if the baby is not in it won't take a diaper bag, purse or shopping bag. I actually wish I would've bought the next model up the Quest because it has a better recline, but our almost 3 yo still sleeps in the Triumph from time to time. We've used it on public transportation trains with no issues, and on the airplanes a lot (it's easy to gate check!). It is light, folds well, and is a good all around stroller. For use with a toddler I know it's done, but I wouldn't feel safe putting a stroller board on the back of a MAC because of the lightweight and tippy issues of the stroller. The Techno XT has a full recline, as well as adjustable handles. None of the MAC models come with a snack bar, but I think you can find them.

I decided that with child #2 I wanted a stroller that could accomodate a stroller board and I didn't want to pay $600 for a stroller either so I researched a lot of less than $600 brands that I could find in my area.

We also looked at the Baby Jogger City Mini, Baby Jogger City Elite, Inglesina Zippy, Quinny Buzz, Mutsy, and Peg Perego P3. We almost bought the City Mini, but I wasn't wowed by the fabric like I was with the City Elite. Both models had a good sunshade, a great fold, and it's lightweight. In the end I decided I preferred the carriage style stroller to another jogger. I thought the Inglesina, and the P3 were identical clones of eachother, except for the fold on the Zippy, which was nicer. Neither folded as flat as I would've liked (you get spoiled with folds with a Maclaren). Both models were rather plasticky and I didn't like that much at all. Both the Zippy, and the P3 had adjustable handles. Some people here love the Zippy and think it's the end all of all carriage strollers, but I just don't see it, besides the easy fold it just seemed like a really nice Graco Quattro stroller to me. I did like the Buzz, and the Mutsy okay, and loved that with the Mutsy you could just buy the pieces you needed, but I think with both brands my daughter's head hit the canopy and since we wanted use the stroller with her too those were out.

After all that I found a used UppaBaby Vista on Craigslist. I paid $400 for a 2007 model. It's a great all around stroller that will take a buggy board for a toddler. It also comes with a carrycot. The basket is huge, and it's a really nice stroller with an adjustable two position handle bar. I would check out the brand in the store and then start looking for used models, however they might be hard to come by. We've gone on a couple of three mile walks with ours and with DD and it's worked out well for us. I am very happy with our decision.

Good luck!

kitui00
02-05-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm in the same boat as you and need a stroller to replace my snap-n-go, which I loved!

I'm considering the Maclaren XT or Quest. I've heard nothing but great things about them. They are pricey at $200-300 but seem to be the better deal over the cheaper ones.

I'm going to BRU this week to try a few out myself. Please keep us posted with what you find.

edurnemk
02-05-2009, 04:10 PM
I have the Vista and I love it, but it is kind of heavy and bulky for taking in and out of the car all the time (I mostly walk everywhere). It handles great in the snow, grass, bumpy sidewalk, etc. And you can push it literally with one finger. The canopy on the new model is amazing. But you can always get a Ray Shade for $15 for any stroller if the canopy is not so good.
Now, I would never ever take my Vista on public transportation. I just don't see how I would handle it. For those occasions I got and umbrella stroller with recline and a small basket for 100 at BRU.
Since you intend to walk on unpaved trails and such, you need air tires or foam tires and good suspension. However most AT strollers are not to light or compact. I personally like the Baby Jogger City Elite for your kind of situation. And there are other cheaper AT's at BRU's, but I don't know about the quality. But if you want something lighter, it may be a better option to get 2 strollers: an AT for walks and a lightweight full feature stroller for car trips and public transportation. You could look at the Micralite Toro which is like a hybrid of both, but it's expensive (over 500 without the bassinet, I think).

WatchingThemGrow
02-05-2009, 04:15 PM
I'd get the BJ City Elite single and a Maclaren Triumph for flights and public transportation.