PDA

View Full Version : BabyUniverse.com fiasco

wifecat
02-05-2009, 04:35 PM
(long, sorry)

I ordered a Young America crib and dresser from BabyUniverse on Dec. 1st. Both items were in stock and were supposed to be delivered between Dec. 17-30. I was contacted shortly after ordering and was told the crib was backordered until the beginning of January.

My online order status was never updated, though they claim that is the fastest and most accurate way to check your order. I called at the beginning of January and was told the item was now in stock and should ship soon. On January 14th I got an email that the order shipped. I called again on January 28 and told them it had been two weeks and no one had called to set up delivery. They said that it could take up to three weeks from the ship date to receive my furniture.

On Feb. 3rd I still had no furniture, so I called again. Now they have ended their phone customer service, and so the message says you have to email them and they will respond within 24 hours. At this point I was livid.

I emailed BabyUniverse Feb. 3rd and have not heard back. On the 4th I called Young America to let them know what's going on, since ultimately the furniture is coming from them. They didn't answer their customer service line either, but there was an option to leave a message. I did, and I have not heard back from them either.

Today (Feb. 5) I emailed BabyUniverse again. They have my money as I was charged on the 14th of January when everything "shipped." I'm going to attempt to contact their parent company, aptly called the Parent Company, and at some point I suppose I need to contact my credit card company, as well as the Better Business Bureau. Anything else I can do to speed this along? I NEED this furniture.

IDcam
02-05-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm sorry about your situation. I actually posted a thread asking about recent experiences with Baby Universe so it's good to know not to order from them. I'd rather a little more for peace of mind.

In your last email did you let them know you'll be contacting your credit card company if they don't respond (by however length of time you want to give them)? I find throwing in a little threat somtimes helps. ;) Although I'm not sure what will happen since they recently filed bankruptcy. Also, keep all your emails/paperwork/correspondence you will need this to dispute the charges with your CC company.

I've been considering buying a stroller from them and have emailed with questions. They quickly responded (within minutes!), answered my question about the stroller being brand new, but also wrote "Thank you for your interest in our eBay auction...". I found that strange since I had sent them the message directly from their website. Either way, they are not very reliable at this point, especially with no Customer Service phone number, so I won't be purchasing from them.

Thanks for sharing and I hope everything gets resolved quickly.

WatchingThemGrow
02-05-2009, 05:24 PM
I can PM you with a Stanley cust service rep's email address. I've been so happy with our YA stuff- all 12 pieces (yikes) in 2 rooms - and the customer service we've gotten. So sorry you're having these issues!!!

Our Stanley stuff from Furnitureland South was ready in a flash, but since BU is having bankruptcy issues, I'll bet that has something to do with it.

MaddieBoo
03-16-2009, 06:09 PM
I was told that BU is history and the assets were purchased by Toys R Us. Since TRU does not sell Stanley, you probably are in trouble. You should go for the credit card refund.