PDA

View Full Version : Resources for sex education?

Globetrotter
02-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Piggybacking off the other thread, does someone have suggestions for good books for a nine year old girl? She knows about periods, bras, fetal development and so on, but I'm having trouble getting around to explaining the "how did it get there" question ;) Thanks!

Corie
02-05-2009, 05:03 PM
I have seen alot of books by this author, Robie Harris. She seems to
have a wide variety.
http://www.amazon.com/Its-Perfectly-Normal-Changing-Growing/dp/0763624330/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233867551&sr=1-1

I have old copies of the Peter Mayle books titled, Where did I come from?
and What's Happening to Me? I love the pictures!
http://www.amazon.com/Whats-Happening-Me-guide-puberty/dp/0818403128

I thought these looked interesting too. American Girl has published
some books.
http://www.amazon.com/Care-Keeping-You-American-Library/dp/1562476661

Corie
02-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Forgot to add:

My best source for sex education questions was simply asking my
mom & dad. (very open communication in my family.)

I remember coming home from school one day and I asked my
dad, "What does 'giving head' mean?"

The look on my dad's face was sheer panic/horror! And I about threw up
when he told me what it meant.

JenaW
02-05-2009, 05:36 PM

Oh boy! I was in a near panic when DS asked what a wiener was. It wasn't so much that I was afraid of the answer. I just didn't want to give too much info. I started with, "do you mean like a hot dog?" His reply, "um, no. I don't think so." Then, "well, some people call their peni$ a wiener." I tried to be matter-of-fact, and I think I was. I also don't ever want to be too preachy. We have already done the "where do babies come from" and "how do they get in there" talks. It is hard (for me anyway) to gauge how much info to give. DS is very smart (too smart for his own good) and never satisfied with incomplete answers meant to placate. But yet, at 5, is he REALLY ready for the down and dirty version?? YIKES!

J

wendibird22
02-05-2009, 05:48 PM
I have heard (no personal experience...DD is only 18mos) that sometimes it is helpful to put the question back to the child and say, "What do you think _ means?" or "What do you think _ is?" Because sometimes what they are wanting to know is WAY less than what we are prepared to explain. This helps to keep the conversation appropriate to the child's age and maturity. So I've heard!

Globetrotter
02-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Forgot to add:

:47:How old were you???

Globetrotter
02-05-2009, 08:57 PM
I have heard (no personal experience...DD is only 18mos) that sometimes it is helpful to put the question back to the child and say, "What do you think _ means?" or "What do you think _ is?" Because sometimes what they are wanting to know is WAY less than what we are prepared to explain. This helps to keep the conversation appropriate to the child's age and maturity. So I've heard!

Yes, I do that for other things so it makes sense here, too!

Corie, thanks for the recos. I remember What's happening to me? :)

egoldber
02-05-2009, 09:04 PM
I have seen alot of books by this author, Robie Harris.

I highly recommend these books. They are very well done. When Sarah wanted to know EXACTLY how the sperm gets to the egg to make a baby, It's So Amazing was the book we turned to for answers. :)

StantonHyde
02-05-2009, 10:01 PM
As a Planned Parenthood volunteer, I do recommend giving your nearest center a call. Our main center here has a variety of age-appropriate videos, DVDs, books, materials etc you can check out.

I also encourage you to buy whatever book you use--that way you can keep the book around so that your child can go back to it if they have questions--plus it takes a while to sink in. A friend used the Where Did I Come From? and it worked well.

Corie
02-05-2009, 10:04 PM
:47:How old were you???

I was in jr. high. I'm sure everyone else in the entire school knew
what it meant except for me!

SnuggleBuggles
02-05-2009, 10:32 PM
I was in jr. high. I'm sure everyone else in the entire school knew
what it meant except for me!

In jr. high I used to wear red nailpolish and then someone told me it meant that I gave head. I had *no* idea what they meant. But, I didn't have anyone to ask because it seemed like all my friends knew so I didn't want to embarrass myself and ask them and I certainly couldn't ask my parents. I don't know when I figured it out. I just know that I stopped wearing red nailpolish b/c I didn't want anyone to think I was giving that thing I didn't know what was. :)

Beth