PDA

View Full Version : I'm deleting my facebook account

tmonroe
02-05-2009, 04:58 PM
After a bunch of friends bugged me about getting one of these I did. I thought it would be an easy way to stay in contact with people but I am finding it, for me, to be very high school and annoying. Tagging people in photos, wondering why someone hasn't accepted a friend request (this one is totally on me). It's just too much for me.

I'm assuming I can deactivate my account. Oh, I also want to add an ex boyfriend requested me as a friend. I didn't see the big deal in accepting his request until he started making comments about still being in love with me and wondering wy we never made it as a couple. Mind you, I have not seen or heard from this person in over 10 years. Too weird.

deannanb
02-05-2009, 06:10 PM
it is easy to deactivate the account -
go under settings - and the last one is deactivate.

it is also easy to to untag yourself - and delete the people you don't want to be friends with.

and the people who have accepted you as a friend - they probably aren't on facebook all that much.

tmonroe
02-05-2009, 07:33 PM
it is easy to deactivate the account -
go under settings - and the last one is deactivate.

it is also easy to to untag yourself - and delete the people you don't want to be friends with.

and the people who have accepted you as a friend - they probably aren't on facebook all that much.

Thanks for the info.

shawnandangel
02-05-2009, 07:36 PM
You can also make it so people can't search for your account, so you could keep your account, delete all the people you want and have a hidden account

citymama
02-05-2009, 07:52 PM
I'm assuming I can deactivate my account. Oh, I also want to add an ex boyfriend requested me as a friend. I didn't see the big deal in accepting his request until he started making comments about still being in love with me and wondering wy we never made it as a couple. Mind you, I have not seen or heard from this person in over 10 years. Too weird.

1. You don't have to deactivate your account to have greater privacy, while still participating in FB. As the PP says, you can untag yourself from pics. You can set your privacy settings to a max, so no one can see pics in which you have been tagged. No one can see your pic or your friends list unless you are their friend. You can un-friend someone who has gone nuts like your ex. You can even block them. You can ignore friend requests. I posted an article about setting FB privacy settings a couple of days ago: http://www.nytimes.com/external/readwriteweb/2009/01/30/30readwriteweb-how_to_friend_mom_dad_and_the.html

2. FB membership is apparently forever. See this NYT article "How Sticky is Facebook membership? Just Try Breaking Free" http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/11/technology/11facebook.html?scp=11&sq=facebook&st=cse

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave...creepy.

DrSally
02-05-2009, 10:36 PM
This is why I haven't ventured onto Facebook.

american_mama
02-06-2009, 12:36 AM
I am not much of a Facebook fan, somewhat because it can be childish - the little snowball fights, sending people mojitos and hugs, quizzes, etc. But mostly because I find it insidious.

Did anyone notice that when you first joined Facebook, it looked on your computer and found everyone you'd ever emailed who also had a Facebook account, then showed it to you complete with profile photo, name, and city? MANY people I have emailed through Baby Bargains showed up, so I learned the names, cities and faces of many BBBers who I didn't otherwise know. Some of those people, like me, may have tried hard to keep their BBB persona more private only to have that un-done by Facebook. I found that a little frightening.

And THEN Facebook asked you if you wanted to be email everyone else in your address book who wasn't on Facebook and invite them to join and be friends. So it wants to utilize YOUR contacts to grow ITS network.

I have enjoyed catching up with a few old friends via Facebook, but am not sure why half of my friend list is people I see in real life and thus don't need to catch up with. I also think it has sadly decreased some of my motivation for a high school reunion (my original reason for joining) because I have caught up with people in a very quick way and that has quelled my desire to see them in person. But I don't think that's good, because in person for a reunion you get interaction, conversation, etc. than a superficial email exchange doesn't capture.

citymama
02-06-2009, 03:06 AM
Did anyone notice that when you first joined Facebook, it looked on your computer and found everyone you'd ever emailed who also had a Facebook account, then showed it to you complete with profile photo, name, and city? MANY people I have emailed through Baby Bargains showed up, so I learned the names, cities and faces of many BBBers who I didn't otherwise know. Some of those people, like me, may have tried hard to keep their BBB persona more private only to have that un-done by Facebook. I found that a little frightening.

Good grief, no, that never happened to me! I think it asked me if I wanted to use the email friend finder via my address book, but I declined. I have all my FB privacy settings to the maximum!

tmonroe
02-06-2009, 04:48 AM
I am not much of a Facebook fan, somewhat because it can be childish - the little snowball fights, sending people mojitos and hugs, quizzes, etc. But mostly because I find it insidious.

And THEN Facebook asked you if you wanted to be email everyone else in your address book who wasn't on Facebook and invite them to join and be friends. So it wants to utilize YOUR contacts to grow ITS network.

I have enjoyed catching up with a few old friends via Facebook, but am not sure why half of my friend list is people I see in real life and thus don't need to catch up with. I also think it has sadly decreased some of my motivation for a high school reunion (my original reason for joining) because I have caught up with people in a very quick way and that has quelled my desire to see them in person. But I don't think that's good, because in person for a reunion you get interaction, conversation, etc. than a superficial email exchange doesn't capture.

I took a quiz and when I clicked on to get my results it said something like "submitting okay means you give access to your friends list or profile" so I just clicked cancel. I thought it was weird.

I also found that searching for emails thing very creepy.

tmonroe
02-06-2009, 04:49 AM
1. You don't have to deactivate your account to have greater privacy, while still participating in FB. As the PP says, you can untag yourself from pics. You can set your privacy settings to a max, so no one can see pics in which you have been tagged. No one can see your pic or your friends list unless you are their friend. You can un-friend someone who has gone nuts like your ex. You can even block them. You can ignore friend requests. I posted an article about setting FB privacy settings a couple of days ago: http://www.nytimes.com/external/readwriteweb/2009/01/30/30readwriteweb-how_to_friend_mom_dad_and_the.html

2. FB membership is apparently forever. See this NYT article "How Sticky is Facebook membership? Just Try Breaking Free" http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/11/technology/11facebook.html?scp=11&sq=facebook&st=cse

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave...creepy.

Very creepy. Thanks fro the info and links!