PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for stopping Nail Biting

hellokitty1
02-05-2009, 09:26 PM
DD went through a nail biting stage when she was about 3.5 but then she stopped on her own within a year. But she started back up again this past fall when she started kindergarten. I definitely know she does this from a comfort perspective since she never does it when it's just DH, me and her. She does it either in uncomfortble situations or even when she is really excited or worked up.

So anyone with some ideas of how to try to break the habit? I know someone made a necklace for her child with a noodle looking thing on it that she was sposed to chew on if she felt the urge. Any other ideas are appreciated.

pinkmomagain
02-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Well we are a family full of various bad habits. There are the obvious bad tasting stuff: I think the really bad one is Malva or Malava...something like that, I had to order it on line. Also, nice nail polish...maybe she'll want to keep it looking nice? I am suggesting things that would not call attention, which could push her anxiety up more. I, myself, would not do a chew necklace, especially since her problem seems to occur in more social situations.

Honestly, nailbiting, at least, is a socially acceptable bad habit. We had to deal with some that were not. Unless she's biting them down to bleeding, I'd maybe wait and see if she stops on her own again, once she's gone through the adjustment of Kindergarten. Pressure to stop, might stress her out more.

ohiomom1121
02-06-2009, 09:57 AM
I agree with trying the Mavala Stop. My DD sucked her fingers forever and we got that to stop it. I accidently got some on my finger and in my mouth and it's gross!! Should work pretty quickly! It does wear off quickly with frequent handwashing though...I would just apply some each time before she's going to be in a social situation. Good luck!

egoldber
02-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Honestly, nailbiting, at least, is a socially acceptable bad habit. We had to deal with some that were not. Unless she's biting them down to bleeding, I'd maybe wait and see if she stops on her own again, once she's gone through the adjustment of Kindergarten. Pressure to stop, might stress her out more.

I would agree with this. She's probably doing it to relieve stress at school. If you stop this habit, she may pick up another that is less easy to stop and less socially acceptable. JMO.

hellokitty1
02-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks for responses so far. DD knows she has this habit and she wants to stop bc we've talked about it before. My biggest concern was going into the winter season and her being more prone to illness if her hands were in her mouth constantly. I don't ride her about it but if I see her do it, I just give her this look. I don't use any form of punishment.

Someone suggested cutting them back so she can't bite them. Can't do that; they are already down to nubbins. I don't even know what she is biting. I haven't cut finger nails since last summer if that gives you a picture.

Nail polish - that doesnt work either because it gives her something to pick at.

If I try the bad tasting stuff, I will definitely ask her before I do it. Like I said, I don't want to punish her. I think she wishes she could stop too. I thought about rewarding it but it's not possible to know if she has done the deed or not and she has not been honest about it either. What kid wants to admit they fell off the wagon?

AngelaS
02-06-2009, 11:02 AM
We used Mavala Stop too.

I also bribe for this. If she can grow her nails long enough to be clipped, she gets one chocolate chip per nail. (and just FTR--this also applies to toe nails. One of mine is a bit too determined AND flexible. :eyeroll:)

hellokitty1
02-06-2009, 11:07 AM
We used Mavala Stop too.

I also bribe for this. If she can grow her nails long enough to be clipped, she gets one chocolate chip per nail. (and just FTR--this also applies to toe nails. One of mine is a bit too determined AND flexible. :eyeroll:)

Okay, this reward seems doable. If they actually grow, then you know they aren't being bitten. How old is your DD? I think I'll have to use something more valuable than chocolate chips. She's a good bargainer.

Toenails...we had that going on but just for a very brief time but it was probably more bc they needed to be cut.

Thanks for this reward suggestion.

pinkmomagain
02-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Re: concern about germs.....my dd2 who sucked her thumb up until last year (9yo) is probably the healthiest of my three girls. BTW, she stopped thumbsucking on her own spontaneously (after bandaids, Mavala, etc.). Of course other things have started in it's place :-).

Piglet
02-06-2009, 05:44 PM
We currently have 1 thumbsucker, 1 finger sucker and 1 nail biter (and a partridge in a pear tree). They have never struck me as sicker than their peers due to these habits. I figure it builds their immune system. I will say though that DS1 was a thumb sucker and we finalyl got him to stop and now he is a nail biter. Prior to he nailbiting we went through shirt collar sucking phase and a paper chewing phase!? I am not sure the thumbsucking was so bad after all (he only did it before bed).

Re: concern about germs.....my dd2 who sucked her thumb up until last year (9yo) is probably the healthiest of my three girls. BTW, she stopped thumbsucking on her own spontaneously (after bandaids, Mavala, etc.). Of course other things have started in it's place :-).

AngelaS
02-06-2009, 05:51 PM
I've been giving her chocolate chips for unbitten nails for about 2 years. I still do it. It's a small treat so it doesn't bother me. :)

BarbieSmith
02-07-2009, 10:55 AM
I have no good news for you - I am a 41- year old nail biter. And honestly, everything my mom tried (from hugs, to medicine, to nail polish, to spankings) failed. Some made it worse. In fact, any attention to my bad habit made me bite more. As an adult I can sometimes stop, but within a few weeks I am back to biting. It is just the way I cope. I am embarrassed about my nails, though, and do everything possible so that others cannot see them. But I still bite them - it is *that* important to my sanity, apparantly.

Hugs,
Barbie

egoldber
02-07-2009, 11:05 AM
I will say though that DS1 was a thumb sucker and we finalyl got him to stop and now he is a nail biter. Prior to he nailbiting we went through shirt collar sucking phase and a paper chewing phase!? I am not sure the thumbsucking was so bad after all (he only did it before bed).

I swear our kids WERE separated at birth LOL! Sarah is still a thumbsucker, but only at night for a few minutes before she falls asleep, and sometimes not even then. BUT she has replaced it with nailbiting. She really doesn't have any fingernails either. And she also goes through phases of chewing on her sleeves. It's a huge problem in the winter.