PDA

View Full Version : Now what do I do?

Clarity
02-06-2009, 02:33 AM
OMG, I just melted down the flanges to my breastpump. That's right, I MELTED THEM DOWN. *sigh* I put the flanges, diaphragms and valves in a sauce pan to boil/sterilize along with some of dd's nipples then I promptly fell asleep and forgot all about them. (I was out by 8:30p.m. tonight..just very tired.) DH noticed a funny smell and got up to check and I instantly recalled the pot of water. Sadly, there was no water any longer. The house is now filled with noxious fumes from the melted plastic. It's 1:30a.m. and all the doors are wide open as well as two windows in the rooms where my girls are sleeping. Did I mention that it's like 19 degrees outside?

I have to work tomorrow. What the heck am I going to do?

citymama
02-06-2009, 03:00 AM
Yikes. Some options you've probably thought of:
1) do you have a hand-pump to tide you through the morning?
2) hospital or kids/medical supply store on your way to work, or a short detour? some larger pharmacies may also have parts, depending on the brand.
3) Not always recommended, but works in a pinch: can you borrow froma friend, perhaps someone who isn't nursing anymore, or someone at work who is nursing (sterilize in the microwave between uses)?

Sorry - hope it works out!

Clarity
02-06-2009, 03:20 AM
Hmm..the only person I know uses a Medela and you're not supposed to share those right? However, it didn't occur to me to check for B&M stores that carry Ameda accessories. I've always ordered them online. Thanks for helping, I'll go check!

citymama
02-06-2009, 03:44 AM
Hmm..the only person I know uses a Medela and you're not supposed to share those right? However, it didn't occur to me to check for B&M stores that carry Ameda accessories. I've always ordered them online. Thanks for helping, I'll go check!

My OB/GYN is in a medical office building, and the pharmacy on the ground floor carries all kinds of breast pump accessories - I was surprised to see this; hadn't noticed it until I was nursing, of course. Might be something to look into as well (medical office buildings, that is!).

egoldber
02-06-2009, 07:55 AM
If a hospital with a lactation center is near you, they probably sell replacement parts.

And 3 words.....Medela sterilizer bags! The best things EVER!!

ThreeofUs
02-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Oh, gosh! We also use the sterilizer bags for precisely this reason. I swear, having two did something to my attention span and memory capabilities....

wendibird22
02-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Walmart and Target usually carry Medela parts and are typically open before 8am.

Clarity
02-06-2009, 10:23 AM
I have an Ameda pump...but the parts will still fit in the Medela sterilizer bags? That sounds like a much better alternative.
I just can't believe I forgot, what a mess. I was so worried about the smoke and odor and my poor girls. We're just lucky there wasn't a fire.
Anyone have suggestions on how to clear out the smell? Dh thinks it will linger a few days even though the smoke is gone now. But, gosh, it makes me nauseous just recalling the odor.

egoldber
02-06-2009, 10:30 AM
I have an Ameda pump...but they parts will still fit in the Medela sterilizer bags?

Yes. I used the bags for one of my hospital pump rentals, which was an Ameda. They have the same flanges as the Ameda consumer pumps.

jerigirl
02-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Oh no!! I melted down a complete set of about 6 Avent bottles in the steam sterilizer one time. I set the microwave for 40 minutes instead of 4 and walked away and got busy with something else and forgot about them. It was disgusting! I had to use a putty knife to scrape the melted sterilizer off of the microwave turntable. I feel your pain!!! I would try a local hospital or medical supply/ pharmacy. Does BRU carry Ameda parts? Good luck!

ThreeofUs
02-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Anyone have suggestions on how to clear out the smell? Dh thinks it will linger a few days even though the smoke is gone now. But, gosh, it makes me nauseous just recalling the odor.

Wash your floors with a vinegar solution? Boil a pot of water with a bit of apple cider vinegar and cinnamon?

I wouldn't try perfumes, etc., but baking soda might also work as a wash for your stove.

Good luck!

Clarity
02-06-2009, 12:13 PM
That's a good idea. I'll try boiling some vinegar and/or cinnamon and see if that helps. The good news is that my stove wasn't damaged at all. Just the sauce pan. But I LIKED that sauce pan! LOL