PDA

View Full Version : School tuition increase

KBecks
02-06-2009, 09:07 AM
$700. And I have two children going next year, so $1,400 more than planned. I knew there would be some increase but was hoping for maybe $100 or $200. I think we are going to have to reconsider our school, and I'm stressed out about it.

As you may imagine, it's a very nice school, but it's getting out of reach for us price wise. Especially considering we have years more of preschool for the kids.

I have less expensive options that are closer to home and maybe I should look at Montessori based homeschooling in addition to or in lieu of regular preschool.

WatchingThemGrow
02-06-2009, 09:12 AM
That stinks! I'd be choking. It seems like a lot to absorb.

SnuggleBuggles
02-06-2009, 09:17 AM
That is quite an increase. I bet there are other parents that are going to balk at that too. GL with your choices!

Beth

himom
02-06-2009, 09:39 AM
I feel your pain...I just filled out our "letter of intent" form for DS for next school year, and I had to check "will not be returning."

It breaks my heart, but both my husband and I took paycuts and we aren't even breaking even right now. So the small private school and the kids and teachers that DS adores are just no longer an option.

They cranked up tuition $325 too!

This economy sucks.

Hope you find a school you like that's more affordable!

ThreeofUs
02-06-2009, 09:41 AM
IKWYM. I'm seriously thinking home-school, even though I really think DS1 needs the socialization.... The economy is really hitting our school hard.

AngelaS
02-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Wow! I just bought all of next years school books for a fraction of that! I can definitely help you w/some preschool ideas if you're interested. ;)

Socialization (′sō·shə·lə′zā·shən) The process whereby a child learns to get along with and to behave similarly to other people in the group, largely through imitation as well as group pressure.

LBW
02-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Karen,

See if the school offers financial aid. Many do, and you might be surprised to find out that you qualify.

Even if they don't, have a frank conversation with the Director about the fact that you may be forced to pull both of your boys if they insist on raising your tuition.

We looked into financial aid last year when I was trying to figure out a way to keep my oldest in his wonderful Montessori school. We qualified, but tuition was still way beyond what we could handle, so he's now in public school - and doing very well. Still, I was impressed at how easy it was to apply for aid and at the amount we qualified for.

Good luck!

stefani
02-06-2009, 12:45 PM
$700. And I have two children going next year, so $1,400 more than planned. I knew there would be some increase but was hoping for maybe $100 or $200. I think we are going to have to reconsider our school, and I'm stressed out about it.

Karen, is that per month/semester/year? DS's daycare fee went up $60/month in October 08, too. I know that the school is also hurting with this economy, as children and pulled out when the parents are laid off, so it is hard all around.

:hug: and good luck in making a decision.

ha98ed14
02-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Wow! I just bought all of next years school books for a fraction of that! I can definitely help you w/some preschool ideas if you're interested. ;)

Socialization (′sō·shə·lə′zā·shən) The process whereby a child learns to get along with and to behave similarly to other people in the group, largely through imitation as well as group pressure.

I'm offended by your comment. I think you sound condesecending and self-righteous. Some people value the interaction our kids get in a formal school setting. If this is not an experience you want for your children, so be it. But do not imply that I am wasting my money by paying for a structured out of the home school setting for my child.

I also think your signature is out of line. My husband teaches public school and is paid by "the state" and he works hard to provide his students with an excellent education and to meet the individual needs of each student. His students are not brainwashed or indoctrinated with propaganda. Public school is not communism.

lorinick
02-06-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm offended by your comment. I think you sound condesecending and self-righteous. Some people value the interaction our kids get in a formal school setting. If this is not an experience you want for your children, so be it. But do not imply that I am wasting my money by paying for a structured out of the home school setting for my child.

I also think your signature is out of line. My husband teaches public school and is paid by "the state" and he works hard to provide his students with an excellent education and to meet the individual needs of each student. His students are not brainwashed or indoctrinated with propaganda. Public school is not communism.

:yeahthat:

AngelaS
02-06-2009, 04:23 PM
I posted the definition of socialization to show that it's not something that just happens in a school setting or something you achieve by hanging out with one's peers. When you homeschool, you constantly hear people talk about how your kids need socialization. Anyone who spends much time in a formal school environment knows how very little time children actually get to truly interact with other children--they're told to be quiet and not touch each other. Some schools even have quiet lunches. The main complaint I hear from kids in school is that their children are learning bad behaviors--that too is socialization.

As for my siggie, it's a quote about how communists felt was the best way to educate their children. If you're making a comparison between the communists and our public school system, that's your doing. Not mine.

ha98ed14
02-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Nevermind. It's not worth it. Sorry Karen.

AngelaS
02-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Editing mine too, since it doesn't apply now that ha98ed14 has edited her post.

(Sorry for the thread hijack Karen--truly, I was just offering you some help if you wanted to consider a different schooling option, until I started getting attacked.)

HIU8
02-06-2009, 05:01 PM
That is a steep increase. I would say something to the school and start looking elsewhere. Preschool went up for DS and we are adding DD into the mix, but it went up very very little (like under $100 a month). I bet others with children in the school feel the same way you do.

KBecks
02-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Karen, is that per month/semester/year? DS's daycare fee went up $60/month in October 08, too. I know that the school is also hurting with this economy, as children and pulled out when the parents are laid off, so it is hard all around.

:hug: and good luck in making a decision.

Thanks, tuition this year was $5,500 and next year is $6,200. I feel we can't afford the school in the long term if the increases are like this every year. It was possibly a little dreamy to begin with, but this increase is making me reevaluate and get a little more practical. I am very disappointed that we're in this situation, DH seems to feel bad that he isn't making enough (he is doing just fine). It's not about income, it's about three kids and being real about preschool.

I love Montessori method and the freedom to choose activities. That's what is the saddest thing.

LBW
02-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Thanks, tuition this year was $5,500 and next year is $6,200. I feel we can't afford the school in the long term if the increases are like this every year. It was possibly a little dreamy to begin with, but this increase is making me reevaluate and get a little more practical. I am very disappointed that we're in this situation, DH seems to feel bad that he isn't making enough (he is doing just fine). It's not about income, it's about three kids and being real about preschool.

I love Montessori method and the freedom to choose activities. That's what is the saddest thing.

If it makes you feel any better, Montessori schools around here (NJ) are $15,000/year and UP. Yours sounds like a bargain to me.

Seriously, talk to the Director. I'm sure they'll work something out with you before they'd willingly lose a family with 2, and eventually 3, students.

KBecks
02-06-2009, 05:46 PM
I appreciate the offer from Angela for homeschooling info if I decide to go that way. I think it's a very good thing to look at all the options. And I also agree that socialization is overrated. There are a lot of paths for education, and I see nothing wrong with a homeschooling parent feeling proud of her choice, just as other parents are proud of their children's schools.

KBecks
02-06-2009, 05:49 PM
If it makes you feel any better, Montessori schools around here (NJ) are $15,000/year and UP. Yours sounds like a bargain to me.

Seriously, talk to the Director. I'm sure they'll work something out with you before they'd willingly lose a family with 2, and eventually 3, students.

I wonder? I have the impression that they would not work with us as they always have a wait list. I emailed the director asking what the increase is, (although I know what it is, I just want them to reply with the numbers, and the increase and maybe try to explain it -- they did not explain the increase at all in the renewal contract materials). I have not cancelled DS2's admissions interview, although I am thinking of going to a local neighborhood preschool on Monday that was my second choice last year and enrolling both boys. It's not Montessori but it would be a fraction of the cost and we'd have more family time at home too.

I really like A's teacher and it would be hard to leave, but I also think that we would adapt to the change with little difficulty overall.

kcandz
02-06-2009, 08:09 PM
And I also agree that socialization is overrated.

Not commenting on the homeschooling debate but this depends on the child. My child is in school precisely for socialization, because we are dealing with social anxiety. I guarantee that a homeschooling option is not workable for my DC in this instance. This is partly because I am not the best teacher for my DC. DC is doing much, much better with outside influence of other adults that are specially trained in child development. My DC is in a private Montessorri and it is working out fabulously well for these specific issues. It costs some serious money.

This is a slight hijack from OP - that tuition increase is indeed outrageous. How many years have you been with the school? Will it make this kind of jump or close to it every year? Having to look at another school after choosing carefully, dealing with DC transition issues all stink.

shawnandangel
02-06-2009, 08:54 PM
I would kill for a 6200 dollar tuition here in Nashville. :( I wish and hope and dream that DD can go to a private school here on the same campus I'm in college, but I don't think it will be possible.

maestramommy
02-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Sorry to hijack, but it's somewhat related. Why in the heck is Montessori so danged expensive?? It seems to be that way all over, esp. if it's "classic" Montessori. Is it really worth that much money? The tuition seems to guarantee that a large segment of the population will never be able to afford it, myself included.

KrisM
02-06-2009, 10:40 PM
That is a crazy increase! Wow. That's, what, about 13%? In this economy? DS's preschool is holding costs so that people can still afford it (not nearly that expensive either!) because she knows people can't afford a big increase these days. I hope they can justify the huge increase to you.

KBecks
02-06-2009, 11:10 PM
It was our first year in school and I have asked school if we should expect this kind of jump every year. I don't think we will continue at school and we my do a neighborhood school 2 or 3 1/2 days a week plus some home activities. I have a while to decide but may go put a deposit at the neighborhood school Monday. I researched the school last year and it was our 2nd choice.

LBW
02-07-2009, 09:35 AM
There are a lot of resources for using Montessori techniques at home. The books Montessori Read & Write and Teaching Montessori in the Home are great. I know a lot of the "real" supplies can be prohibitively expensive, but I remember finding cheaper options and instructions for making them yourself. I think I found the links on MDC. Since DS1 wound up attending M school, I didn't wind up buying/making the supplies, but I may for my younger two.

egoldber
02-07-2009, 10:04 AM
How many hours a day is the school? And it's 5 days a week? We pay $538 a month (so $5380 for 10 months) for Amy to go to the JCC 5 days a week from 9-1. It's a playbased school, not Montessori. That's a pretty standard price around here. Next year the price is going up to $590 (so about 10%) which has been my experience with this school. (Sarah went there also and we paid $470 a month when she was there 5 mornings a week three years ago.)

I know that our school has been hit hard by parents getting laid off and pulling their kids out of school. I think this is a pretty common problem.

The Montessori school that I have thought about (mainly because it is literally around the corner and we could walk there) is $6740 for 5 days a week from 9-12.

KBecks
02-07-2009, 10:36 AM
It's 5 mornings a week from 8 to 11. I know that a lot of schools cost more, and we could stretch to afford school next year for both boys. The school is lengthening the school day slightly for full day kids, and their tuition raised $1,000. My son's schedule is not changing but the costs are going up $700. I am concerned about the long-term affordability if we see year over year increases like this, I had not expected a 10%+ increase after our first year.

It's not that I think the school is not worth the cost. The problem is that the tuition is becoming more than we can afford. I have most of next year's tuition for both boys saved in advance (except now I need an extra $1,400 I had not planned). I am thinking that keeping that money in savings may be a more prudent move, especially with the current economic concerns.

We are in the upper Midwest and most schools aren't quite that high. Our neighborhood Christian school charges $5k for nonmember families for full day, the Montessori school is at nearly $8k for full day. Our local Catholic school charges $3,000, for full day, which includes a parish donation, and then there's free public school for K and up, and the public schools are not terrible. I actually look at it as we have four fine schools to choose from.

If money were not a factor, I would continue at our school, but money is very much a factor.

egoldber
02-07-2009, 10:48 AM
I hear you. We have kept Amy enrolled and even increased her enrollment from 2 days a week to 5 days a week in acticipation of me working full time. (Her school also offers full time child care.) And I never had to pay for two kids at once in preschool or that would have been a definite hardship (and honestly something I never considered in terms of kid spacing.)

But if I don't find a job, then we will not enroll her at this school next year. :(

HIU8
02-07-2009, 03:15 PM
With 2 in preschool next year we are experiencing a big jump, but we knew and have been able to adjust things to accomodate. DS has never been in 5 day a week preschool. Last year he was 3 days a week (just mornings). This year it's 4 days a week mornings (but 2 afternoons he is in extended care). DD is at a babysitters 3 days a week. The ONLY reason we are doing this is b/c I have to work at least part-time. My working not only pays for preschool and the babysitter, but it also pays either groceries or health insurance each month-which takes something off of DH's plate and allows us to put something into savings. Next year both DS and DD will be going 5 days a week (DD until 12:30 and DS until 2:30 for preK). Two days a week they will be in extended care until 4. That eliminates the babysitter expense and gives me the opportunity to add a few more hours of work in (and be able to pay 3 bills instead of 2). If I did not have to work DD would be in something more like a playgroup and DS would still do preK. This year we are paying $590/month for DS (that includes the 2 days of aftercare). Next year the bill we be $14~~/month (can't remember the exact amount). Then I get a break again when DS goes to public school for K. This was one of our cheaper options if you can believe it--DS is now, and both kids will be next year in our JCC program.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
02-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Becks, I am sorry you are going through this. We love our school and really thought about not having Kate go next year as with two in the school it will be about $9000 for 9 hours a week! Judging by the bday parties we have been to the school is very exclusionary- people living in million dollar homes is the norm. It is the only Montesorri wi driving distance and is still 20 minutes away. It is going to be a stretch for us to send 2 kids for two years each and this was the mid priced school we looked at. No public pre K here. Ugh. Hugs to you!

stella
02-09-2009, 11:25 AM
I agree with the poster who said they expect the school will work with you to keep your 2 boys. On the other hand, these tuition rates are astounding to me out here in rural Texas.
It's definitely not Montessori, but our Methodist church-based preschool is around $250/month for 9-1:30/5 days a week.

It's one of 4 or 5 similar church-affiliated, play-based preschools/kindergartens. Montessori must certainly have its advantages, but my children were always so happy at St. Luke's and are now doing very well at Ambleside, a Charlotte Mason-based private school. I hardly feel that they were under-prepared for real school.

Good luck - it's hard to think about lowering your standards based on the sheer number of children you have to educate (or feed, clothe, bathe, etc.!). I have 3 as well, so I definitely feel your pain in that regard!

mytwosons
02-09-2009, 12:31 PM
*IF* you are comfortable spending the money in this economy, what about asking the school for a discount for prepayment, since you already have what you expected the tuition to be in savings. My parents always prepaid our school at the previous year's tuition rate. The school will probably be happy to have the money up-front. If you do go this route, I would make sure the refund policy is clearly stated in case something changes in your life.

mommylamb
02-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Have you asked the school why they are doing such a big increase this year? Is that typical or is there something specific this year that's driving it? It sounds like a lot to me.