PDA

View Full Version : Ever do a clothing roster for YOU?

tmarie
02-06-2009, 09:33 AM
I am in the midst of revamping my wardrobe. I have finally lost almost all my baby weight and nothing fits. I senselessly donated a lot of my old pre-pregnancy clothes so I don't have much at all to work with. I bought a few mix and match outfits this week and am trying to evaluate how many clothes I really need. Right now I have:
-2 prs of jeans
-2 prs of chinos (gray, khaki)
-1 pr of black dress pants
-4 long sleeve tee shirts
-4 layering tees
-5 cardigans
-2 blouses
-1 trench coat
-1 denim blazer
-1 cargo jacket

Just curious.....what does your wardrobe look like? How many clothes do you have? :)

tmarie
dd#1 5/05
dd#2 6/08

WatchingThemGrow
02-06-2009, 09:48 AM
LOL... I thought my old thread came up! http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=298944&highlight=watchingthemgrow+clothing+roster

I got some items, pulled some outfits together, filled in the gaps, then got pg...

But, I did "lay out" my whole winter maternity wardrobe - shoes and all - and filled in/replaced what needed to be. It seemed expensive to actually buy stuff to fill in, but BOY, it has really made a difference to actually HAVE a few clean outfits every morning that have matching parts, accessories, etc.

I look forward to doing it again when the weather gets above freezing! I still want to contact the wardrobe consultant someone suggested in another thread.

Oh, I think I ended up with like 4-5 yoga/exercise pants w/l/s cotton tops, 3 casual but nicer outfits, 2-3 things to wear to church or dressy events, 2 sweaters, a dress, maternity hose, 2 mat. hoodies/fleeces. Not sure what all I have for summer, but I think there's plenty there leftover from DS' pg.

ThreeofUs
02-06-2009, 09:49 AM
I have finally lost almost all my baby weight and nothing fits.

I had two immediate thoughts:
-First, congratulations!
-Second, what a perfect opportunity to buy a new wardrobe!

Even though your money might be tight, retailers are really slashing prices on everything, so buying now can really work.

I always have at least one set of clothes that mix together. It's usually a tunic (or blouse that can be worn inside or outside pants), a dress, a jacket, a skirt, and a pair of slacks. Then I build around this to match my life and career circumstances.

It's hard to tell someone else (whose life I know nothing about) what they need, so that's my pitiful little two cents right there.

GL and have fun!

boolady
02-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Right now I have:
-2 prs of jeans
-2 prs of chinos (gray, khaki)
-1 pr of black dress pants
-4 long sleeve tee shirts
-4 layering tees
-5 cardigans
-2 blouses
-1 trench coat
-1 denim blazer
-1 cargo jacket

Just curious.....what does your wardrobe look like? How many clothes do you have? :)

tmarie
dd#1 5/05
dd#2 6/08

I have a lot more clothes than that, however (1) many of them don't fit right now :( and (2) I don't necessarily like a lot of them anymore. I really want to pare my wardrobe down to some good quality, interchangeable pieces like you've listed and keep things simple; however, right now I don't want to spend the $$ to essentially start over, and I keep telling myself that I'm going to lose weight.

What you have seems like a great foundation to me, if you throw in a few jazzy tops for when you need to go out and maybe another pair of dress pants or two and a denim pencil skirt or other casual skirt for when you don't want to wear pants.

kozachka
02-08-2009, 12:45 PM
I found that it helps to build your wardrobe around 1 or two colors to make sure your items work with more than one item in your wardrobe.

Good fit is paramount. Your clothes should also be able to move with you. Otherwise you won't be comfortable.

stefani
02-09-2009, 01:27 PM
I have a clothing roster for myself, I modeled it after DS's clothing roster, but then I modified it to fit me.

5 columns: category (long pants, long-sleeved blouses, etc.), description (red Talbots, etc.) size, comments (where / when bought), price.
The categories I have long pants, jeans, long-sleeved blouses, jackets, short-sleeved blouses, summer dresses, short sets, long-sleeved dresses (modified as needed).

I have about a dozen long-sleeved blouses, and a dozen short-sleeved blouses, with a dozen pants. Those are my staples. Just two or three of the others. Of course this will vary depending on your lifestyle.

HTH!

P.S. When I find the "foundation wardrobe" list, I'll post it.

From MissusSmartyPants, here is the wardrobe basic list:

2 pairs of pants, one black, other pair dark neutral · 2 pairs of jeans (one casual, one a dressy darker wash)
· 1 dress in basic black (or other dark color) can be worn to work or dressed up for nights out
· 2 shirts/blouse- button- front (white or ivory & 1 colored)
· T-shirts (white, black, etc.) body skimming with stretch
· 3 sweaters (season-less and lightweight)
· 2 jackets-tailored, must coordinate with pants
· 1 skirt, basic black (or other dark neutral) of mid-weight fabric (season-less)
· 2 purses, 1 classic design in basic color, 1 playful style
(Recommended: 3- piece suit-set. Includes jacket, pant and skirt all out of the same fabric. Wear together, or mix and match)

kozachka
02-11-2009, 03:27 PM
If these were all the clothes I had, I'd be bored out of my mind. And doing laundry/dry cleaning non-stop. Seriously, just two pairs of jeans?! In addition to two pairs of pants? I had much less when I was pregnant but than again I did not work and hardly went anywhere. It was temporary so OK. But if this is all I had on a regular basis, I'd feel deprived.

I think you should have at least three pairs of jeans:
- regular medium blue pair
- dressier dark blue wash ones
- white longer pair to wear with heels for the summer days when you go out
and preferably another looser/boyfriend cut pair for lasy days. Depending on your lifestyle you might not need white jeans but could use more regular medium blue pairs.

And I think every woman needs variety of dresses. Summer dresses. Wrap dress. Possibly sweater dress. Cocktail dress. One really dressy evening dress.

tmarie
02-13-2009, 12:14 AM
If these were all the clothes I had, I'd be bored out of my mind. And doing laundry/dry cleaning non-stop. Seriously, just two pairs of jeans?! In addition to two pairs of pants? I had much less when I was pregnant but than again I did not work and hardly went anywhere. It was temporary so OK. But if this is all I had on a regular basis, I'd feel deprived.

Thank you for saying this--it makes me feel less guilty. I feel bad about buying clothes for myself due to the economy. However, it really is a necessity as my size has changed. I already feel like I do laundry all the time, so I definitely need MORE items, like jeans. This weekend I went out twice in my new outfits....it felt GREAT! :)

tmarie

KBecks
02-13-2009, 09:38 AM
i seriously should do one. A lot of my clothes are house clothes. Then I have a few pair of pants that fit, blouses, skirts, and nice clothes for work/church.

My drawers are full and I don't have much but things should get organized and/or weeded so the scruffiest stuff goes. My jewelry drawer is a mess and has broken things, etc.