PDA

View Full Version : DD just bumped her head. Totally freaking out

tmonroe
02-06-2009, 12:32 PM
She was laying on her mat on her tummy and rolled over on her back and bumped side of her head on hardwood floor. As I was about to panic I caught myself so I wouldn't startle her. She didn't cry at all and started to kick her legs like she normally does. I called DH freaking out. He told me to relax. If another mother tells me to relax I will feel much better!
ETA: A friends daughter is having surgery this morning with hydrocepehlus and I am a bit on edge about that.

elliput
02-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Not a big deal. She'll bump her head a lot in the next few years.

:hug:

ha98ed14
02-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Relax. If she didn't cry AND she is still moving like she was before, will make eye contract with you (i.e. can focus on a face or object), she is fine. Not sure how old she is, but just watch her to make sure she can still do the things she did before, balance, follow her own hand, grab her feet, where ever she is developmentally.

If she hit her head hard enough to raise a bump, so kinda hard, and a bump shows up, that's a good thing. If no bumb, I wouldn't worry unless she is having motor difficulties.

My kid literally falls over from standing still. Often I think she is gonna wail, but she doesn't.

JBaxter
02-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Mine had consistant bruises on their forheads for 6 months at a time. Huge goose eggs I worry about little bumps happen daily here.

Its a momma's worry hugs its scary the first 100 or so times

SnuggleBuggles
02-06-2009, 12:56 PM
No big deal at all, from what you described. Bonks like that are going to happen *a lot!* in the coming months.

My ds fell off of the last step of the porch a few months ago and landed forehead first on the concrete. Called the ped in a panic and they asked me a few questions. Based on how he was doing (happy, alert, normal) not to worry. If you want to call, go for it. But, for the bonk you described I don't think it merits a call.

Just wait a few more months when she sits by the wall and starts banging her head against it. Fun times. :)

Beth

tmonroe
02-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Thanks mommies. She is 9 months. She is doing all of the things she has done before including pressing buttons on my cell phone. I'm working on being more relaxed and less paranoia.

tmonroe
02-06-2009, 12:58 PM
No big deal at all, from what you described. Bonks like that are going to happen *a lot!* in the coming months.

My ds fell off of the last step of the porch a few months ago and landed forehead first on the concrete. Called the ped in a panic and they asked me a few questions. Based on how he was doing (happy, alert, normal) not to worry. If you want to call, go for it. But, for the bonk you described I don't think it merits a call.

Just wait a few more months when she sits by the wall and starts banging her head against it. Fun times. :)

Beth

Just as I am working on my paranoia and now I have that to look forward to? LOL

kep
02-06-2009, 01:02 PM
She sounds fine. :) My youngest actually did end up with a skull fracture at six months, but that was from a drop off a lap onto a hardwood floor, landing head first. And even then, there really wasn't anything to do for it, just keep an eye on him. The ped neuro surgeon said that before CT was around, there were probably a much larger amount of skull fractures that went undiagnosed, causing no harm to the child, and healing on their own.

It takes a pretty great deal of force to break a bone in an infant. Baby bones are designed to be flexible at that age. :hug:

kedss
02-06-2009, 01:02 PM
hugs, mama:)

salsah
02-06-2009, 01:07 PM
i agree with the pp but want to add that i heard that you should be concerned if a soft bump develops. maybe someone here can confirm that . . .

best wishes for you friend's dd.

elephantmeg
02-06-2009, 02:02 PM

Beth

DS fell off the 5 1/2 foot playset on Sun. He's fine too...