PDA

View Full Version : Will I need a stroller for my 4.5 y.o. at Disneyland?

Karenn
02-06-2009, 06:54 PM
DD will be 4.5 and DS 6.5 when we go. Will we want a stroller? I have an older Peg Perego Pliko that has a ride-on step on the back. Would it be worth it to bring that? I'm worried that it would be a hassle. What about a cheap umbrella stroller? We're only going to be there for a couple of days. Would it be dangerous to gamble with a wait and see attitude and rent one if we need it?

todzwife
02-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Our 5 YO rode in a stroller the ENTIRE time. It was nice to keep him contained while we walked through large crowds.

egoldber
02-06-2009, 08:05 PM
I would bring that Pliko.

Momof3Labs
02-06-2009, 09:36 PM
DS1 rode almost all the time when he was 5.25yo. At 6yo, he walked most of the time (5 day trip). I would bring the stroller, especially since those rentals are so expensive.

erosenst
02-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Abby turned five the week after we went, and spent a lot of time in the stroller (which she hasn't used in at least a year and a half). We left it parked for periods, but it was very nice to have. Also nice for carrying jackets, daypack, etc.

SnuggleBuggles
02-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Not in my opinion or experience. DL isn't huge and at that age I would expect my child to be able to walk the whole day.

Beth

TraciG
02-07-2009, 10:33 AM
I am wondering about my 5 year old, she hasn't been in a stroller in year's , I think we'll take a break & go back to the hotel & nap, otherwise I don't know how she'd walk all day ! My 1 year will obviously be in a stroller !

wendmatt
02-08-2009, 12:54 PM
DD was 5y 4 months and we went to DL for 1 day and had no stroller and she was fine. Your DD is a little younger so maybe the cheap umbrella stroller, it's a toughie!

Tondi G
02-08-2009, 03:41 PM
I would bring the Pliko! It will be helpful to carry jackets and such... does it have a cup holder? It will give your kiddo a chance to sit rather than asking to be carried... my Dh can only carry a kid on his shoulders for so long! It think you will be happy to have some kind of stroller along! If it's busy it's nice to plunk your kiddo into the stroller and know they are contained and won't get lost in the mix!

tribecamom
02-10-2009, 06:45 PM
whole time--between the crowds, heat and distance we were glad to push them

infomama
02-11-2009, 11:51 AM
We used our stroller a lot. DD1 turned 5 a month after we went and I can't imagine the amount of whining we would have had to put up with if not for that stroller. We saw very few families without strollers.....

Karenn
02-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Well, you all have talked me into bring a stroller for DD(4). Now though, you've got me thinking I might need a second one for DS(6.5)! He's a pretty small 6.5 year old and could still fit in a stroller. I'm starting to wonder if two strollers might be better than 2 kids fighting over who gets to sit and who gets to ride on the back. Thanks for all the replies!

luvmypeanut
02-11-2009, 01:32 PM
We always bring two strollers to DL. My kids like to sit in them when eating popcorn or ice cream. And it's nice for them to sit in them while waiting for the parade and fireworks. I don't like to carry a backpack with all of our stuff so it's a good place to store snacks, water bottles and clothes. Have fun! We're dying for another visit!

mnosky1
02-15-2009, 09:35 PM
DisneyLAND or DIsney WORLD? I think it makes a big difference. For DisneyWorld, my DD5 will be in stroller for animal kingdom and epcot but probably not magic kingdom. Even though she isn't a big fan of walking, she was mostly out of it at magic kingdom at 4 years old - we'd park it for long stretches, but needed it at night.
DisneyLAND is smaller and close together like magic kingdom so you may not need one. but DD was 4 mos when we were last there.

spunkybaby
03-01-2009, 01:52 AM
Well, you all have talked me into bring a stroller for DD(4). Now though, you've got me thinking I might need a second one for DS(6.5)! He's a pretty small 6.5 year old and could still fit in a stroller. I'm starting to wonder if two strollers might be better than 2 kids fighting over who gets to sit and who gets to ride on the back. Thanks for all the replies!

Here's another possibility. You could apply for the Disney VISA card, which then gives you two free stroller rentals each day at Disneyland only (not Disney World). That way if your DS wants a stroller, you can just get another one. You would still have to use your Pliko for going back to your hotel though.

We are going to DL in a few weeks, and I am still trying to decide whether to bring two umbrella strollers (Volo & Quest) or my BJCSD. I had DH apply for the Disney VISA card a few days ago so that we would have the free stroller option too :) The Disney VISA also gives you a free meet-n-greet pic with Chip n Dale.

bubbaray
03-01-2009, 11:01 AM
We are taking two strollers for our girls (2 and 5 when we travel). I was gonna take our P3, but we're taking a Volo instead. It worked really well in Maui.

When are you going? We're going at the end of April. I'm finding DL requires more planning than a transcontinental move! :dizzy:

Karenn
03-01-2009, 01:39 PM
We're going at the beginning of April. And yes, it's a ton of planning. But I've got to confess, I'm loving every minute of it!

I love the idea of bringing a Volo, but I just can't justify spending that much on a stroller that we will only use for 3 days. Even the ones on Craigslist are more money than I can justify when I've got two kids almost out of strollers.

SnuggleBuggles
03-01-2009, 04:50 PM
I really do think you will be just fine without a stroller. DL is just not that big. If you are worried about endurance, start taking good walks every day to build up to it. :)

Beth

urquie
03-04-2009, 12:04 AM
we've taken a stroller twice for dd1 but never used it while in disneyland, only for the airport. she was almost 3 and almost 4 and power walked the whole time! it's amazing how much energy reserves kids can have.

When are you going? We're going at the end of April.

we're going the end of april too!!! :yay: this time we'll bring a mac and hope that dd2 will take naps in it.

AnnieW625
03-13-2009, 02:00 PM
YES! Strollers are necessary and they are all over the place. A lot of older kids there still use strolelrs. Disneyland rents a lot of doubles and I have seen older kids in them too.