PDA

View Full Version : Yet another stroller question

s7714
02-06-2009, 07:44 PM
We never took or rented a stroller when we visited DL with my older DD because she's such a petite little thing it was no big deal to just carry her if she got tired. However, we're going to be taking both DDs (3.5 and almost 6) to DL at the end of the month, so I want to have some sort of stroller. I'd like to say just a single, but my older DD is getting too big to carry around so a double or two singles will be best.

I have a Combi Twin Savvy that I'm fine with taking, but I'm curious about what to do with it while we're riding things. Is it overkill to take a bike lock to thread through the wheels or around a folded stroller to prevent people walking off with it? I'm hesitant to rent because the past couple times we've gone I've encountered people who've had their rental stolen while on a ride. Haven't encountered anyone who's had their personal stroller stolen though, so maybe I'm just being paranoid?

egoldber
02-06-2009, 08:06 PM
People leave Bugaboos unattended. I wouldn't worry about it. :)

s7714
02-06-2009, 08:29 PM
People leave Bugaboos unattended. I wouldn't worry about it. :)

LOL, I know! I'm always amazed when I walk by all the Bugaboos and those other way expensive strollers just sitting there!

Rainbows&Roses
02-07-2009, 03:26 AM
I read too many stories on disboards about people having their strollers stolen in the months before we left (with the bad economy being blamed), so we did take a bike lock to put through the wheels. It was pretty easy to do. Also we wrote our name in several obvious places on the stroller.

We knew that if someone really wanted the stroller they could have still taken it, but we just made it a little more inconvenient.

JTsMom
02-07-2009, 09:42 AM
From what I've read, you can lock one set of wheels (back or front), but not lock the stroller to anything else b/c the staff has to be able to move it. I think it's pretty rare to have a stroller stolen there, but it does happen occasionally. I just took my chances.

If you do go with a rental and it's stolen, they replace it for free. It's still a hassle, but it's not like you're out the money or anything.

SASM
02-07-2009, 10:15 AM
From what I've read, you can lock one set of wheels (back or front), but not lock the stroller to anything else b/c the staff has to be able to move it. I think it's pretty rare to have a stroller stolen there, but it does happen occasionally. I just took my chances.

If you do go with a rental and it's stolen, they replace it for free. It's still a hassle, but it's not like you're out the money or anything.

Yup...you cannot lock a stroller to a railing, even if it is far removed from the others and out of the way. You will get politely reprimanded by a cast member as they DO need to move the strollers around. Bring your stroller and tie something around it to make it stand out for when it is moved to another place, so you'll be able to find it after exiting the ride. I went with a bright orange/pink bandana.

Our travel guide reccommended something quite amusing! :) They put a diaper soaked with water to simuate the weight/look of a dirty diaper in a zip bag or something, poured in some root beer and tied it to the stroller's handle! Noone went near the thing!! No chance of someone stealing that stroller...LOL!!

WatchingThemGrow
02-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Our travel guide reccommended something quite amusing! :) They put a diaper soaked with water to simuate the weight/look of a dirty diaper in a zip bag or something, poured in some root beer and tied it to the stroller's handle! Noone went near the thing!! No chance of someone stealing that stroller...LOL!!
:hysterical:

egoldber
02-07-2009, 10:43 AM
In general, thieves do not want your stroller. They want your wallet and your small, portable electronics (digital camera, video camera, cellphone, etc.) Don't leave anything of real value on your stroller. Strollers get moved around a LOT by the employees to make room for new ones. Many people think their stroller was stolen when it was simply moved.

kimbe
02-07-2009, 02:35 PM
In general, thieves do not want your stroller. They want your wallet and your small, portable electronics (digital camera, video camera, cellphone, etc.) Don't leave anything of real value on your stroller. Strollers get moved around a LOT by the employees to make room for new ones. Many people think their stroller was stolen when it was simply moved.

ITA!!! We have left our strollers for HOURS. (Sometimes we'd just park one and take DS in the sling for awhile.) I know that it happens, but I have never worried about it. Once, we went to get our stroller and it wasn't where we left it......we stopped at Town Hall in MK and it was there because a Cast Member thought that someone had stollen it and put it in a random place. So as an FYI, if your stroller comes up missing, check with the lost and found!

When we did leave our strollers, we always took our valuables with us. (Foogos, Kleen Kanteens too!)

Momof3Labs
02-07-2009, 04:24 PM

This suggestion comes up pretty regularly on the disboards but makes no sense to me!! With garbage cans easily every 20-30', why would anyone keep a truly dirty diaper on their stroller??

s7714
02-07-2009, 08:14 PM

I assumed they'd replace it easily, but the family we encountered last time waiting in a line, said they were told they couldn't have a new one to replace it because Disney had rented out everything and didn't have a stroller left to give them (this was late afternoon). They claimed they got their money back but were left high and dry without a stroller. :shrug: