PDA

View Full Version : PSA Air conditioner returns / vents

jgenie
02-07-2009, 05:01 AM
Just wanted to post a PSA for parents of new crawlers or walkers. If you have air conditioning vents that are within reach of your DCs, please take a minute to check them to find out if they have sharp edges. If so, block access to them. DS cut himself on a vent in our living room earlier this week. The vent is so sharp that he didn't even feel the cut. Thankfully it was only one finger and the cut wasn't as deep as it could have been. I hate to think how bad it could have been. We've pushed furniture in front of our vents, but we still have one that we need to baby proof. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make these safe? I know I have seen magnetic "sleeves" for lack of the correct term that cover the entire vent in case you want to block air flow, but I would think DS will soon be able to peel these off and then cut himself again. TIA for any tips /advice.

wellyes
02-07-2009, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the tip, my DD is crawling and she is obsessed with any kind of vent she can get her hands on!! I'll keep a more careful eye on them.

KrisM
02-07-2009, 08:51 AM
I'm so sorry he got cut! I wouldn't have thought of that, either.

Not sure how to baby proof them. We have so many toys, they're all fairly blocked :).

WatchingThemGrow
02-07-2009, 08:55 AM
We did a lot of "no"ing when DD would get near them. DS is finally a little interested in them, and he pulled one (very easily) out of our wood floors yesterday. We'll start the "no" thing with him now. The phase didn't last long with DD.

DrSally
02-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Ds has gotten his finger caught in one when he was crawling.

Nyfeara
02-08-2009, 08:47 PM
We picked up some plastic ones that had more rounded edges - not the most attractive thing but definitely safer for DS. DH also screwed some into the floor in the rooms where DS is the most.