PDA

View Full Version : Tempurpedic, latex mattresses

heatherlynn
02-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Anyone have any insight into these? We really need to replace our king mattress - we've had it for almost 20 years and it's showing its age. Are they too hot? too hard? too anything? what should I be aware of? do like/hate yours? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

kcimato
02-07-2009, 01:51 PM
There are a lot of good discussions on the garden web forum about mattresses. check out this one

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/furniture/msg0615330710729.html

Visit their main site at www.thathomesite.com

Go to the home decorating forum of the furniture forum and do a seach for latex or tempuric mattresses.

marit
02-07-2009, 02:28 PM
We have a Tempurpedic and I wouldn't replace it for ANYTHING! We love love love it. It is expensive, but I know it lasts a long time, because my dad has one from maybe 10 years ago that is still going strong. I like that it doesn't sag.

Good luck with your decision.

clb
02-07-2009, 02:56 PM
We've had a tempurpedic for the last 6 yrs. I will never go back to a regular mattress again. I miss my mattress anytime I travel.

It isn't too hot. I don't think it is too firm, but I always liked a firm mattress so maybe I am not the best judge. It may feel firm at first but it will break in. After I gave birth to DS, it took a little while for the mattress to become comfortable again since I was carrying less weight- it sort of molds to your shape.

The mattress pad that comes on the tempurpedic zips off to be laundered, but I think it would be easier if there was an additional one. Some other brands don't even have one that removes. You are just supposed to vacuum it, so at least this one is removable. I tried to put on another mattress pad, but it crumpled the corners of the mattress. I am not sure that you are supposed to use one. I used a crib liner when I got close to my edd and thank goodness because my water broke in bed while I was sleeping.

Momof3Labs
02-07-2009, 03:15 PM
We've had ours 2.5 years and love it!! It's a Sealy. They had a softer one and firmer one, and we both definitely preferred the firmer one at the store (the firmer one still has a lot of give).

geochick
02-07-2009, 03:58 PM
We just bought a new king mattress this morning. We crossed Tempurpedic off our list early, though, because I get night sweats and night terrors if I get too hot. Everything I read said they don't breathe well, and people tend to get hot.

Other than that, people are supposed to like them. Apparently, Latex mattresses breathe better.

Some reviews:
http://www.consumersearch.com/mattress-reviews

A good site:
http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/

ged
02-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Uggh! I really do not mattress shopping. We just went through this about 1.5 years ago, and I still don't know if I made the best decision. Anyhow, I think it's so personal, but I tried the Tempurpedic for 3 months (or however long their policy allows for), and it just wasn't that great. It was alright, but I sitll woke up sore the majority of the mornings. So, we wound up going for a innersping with some topping (latex). I really wanted to love the Tempurpedic but just didn't. Good luck!

fortato
02-07-2009, 05:49 PM
We got our Tempurpedic 2 years ago, and At first I wasn't a fan. I am a stomach and side sleeper and just couldn't get comfortable.

But now- I will never give that mattress up. It's the most comfortable thing I have ever slept on. It does stay warm... and I like to be cold at night, so I just kick off my blankets.

nellonello
02-07-2009, 07:11 PM
We had one of these and my husband ended up sleeping in our guest room because he got too hot in it. We ended up getting a Sleep Number bed and will never go back!

heatherlynn
02-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Thank you all for your help. It seems as if the people who like these the most are people who like firm beds, of which I am one. Heck, I don't think I'd mind sleeping on a board quite honestly! And I rarely get too warm at night, so maybe this would be perfect for me. Thanks everyone for your input!