PDA

View Full Version : MRI suggestions?

SASM
02-07-2009, 03:31 PM
I am having a breast MRI on Monday. I've never had an MRI. I've been told that is a tight space and very loud. So...I am curious what people have done to get through it. Any visualizations? Tips?

My GF suggested visualizing that I am in NYC walking down the street wearing stilettos, etc (need the color) and the jackhammer dudes are whistling. :) She, as well as another friend, suggested waking up very early so I'll nap in the tube and stay relaxed.

Anything else? :) Just curious...

kijip
02-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Anyone who can nap through an MRI is my personal sleep hero or they are suffering from a serious medical condition which keeps them asleep.

If you are claustrophobic or very sensitive to sounds, I suggest being ready with some visualizations. If you are not very sensitive in these respects, the whole thing will likely just be annoying but over soon enough.

BabyMine
02-07-2009, 03:41 PM
I have had so many MRIs that I should own one by now. Here are my recommendations.

- They should give you ear plugs. If they don't then ask.
- Some places also provide headphones with music that help with the noise.
- It is noisy but what I did was notice the rhythm and try to create a song or a beat.
- Ask for a blanket becasue the room is always cold.
- If you ever feel uncomfortable always tell them.
- You have to keep still. I try and relax all my muscles and breathe.
- It doesn't take that long.
- Go in with a positive attitude and ask as many questions.

Sillygirl
02-07-2009, 03:47 PM
I suggest closing your eyes when you lie down, before you go into the tube. Then don't open them until the test is done. You won't know how small the space is if you don't look.

They'll offer you music, but it's hard to hear over the noise of the machine.

pookee
02-07-2009, 03:49 PM
I agree with the pp, but keep in mind that if you build it up a lot beforehand, it will be much worse than it really is.

They should also have a mirror inside so you can see down the "tunnel" of the MRI unit - this prevents you from feeling like you're inside. Just focus on the mirror and try to figure out what the heck the attendants are doing.

It's really not that bad - honest! But I completely understand how you feel about it. All you have to do is lay there, listen to the music of your choice, breathe, and stare at the mirror. If you do start to panic and can't bring yourself back to normal, they will get you out of there ASAP.

Just take deep breaths.... deeeeeeep breaths. Do your relaxation breathing and try to breathe through your eyelids (someone told me that once)

ThreeofUs
02-07-2009, 03:59 PM
It's not that bad, really, and you have some great advice above. My two cents is to make sure nothing is digging into you or scratching you on the table - even if it's only mildly annoying, say something about it before they put your extra sheet or blanket on you.

GL!

tylersmama
02-07-2009, 04:56 PM
You actually don't want to nap, because you need to stay still and if you twitch like I do sometimes, you may have to start that series of images over. That means you'll be in there longer. I've had several MRIs and every one of them gave me headphones and let me select a cd to listen to. Most of them also talked to me through the headphones..."this next series is going to take 3 minutes" or whatever. If they don't offer you a blanket, ask for one, it usually is cold. I'm not sure how far in the tube you'll need to go (my MRIs have all been for lower extremities), but it's possible you may not even have your head in the tube.

Good luck!

Emmas Mom
02-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Hi Sharyn, when I had my breast MRI I was face down (laying on my stomach) so I didn't think it was a big deal. Maybe if I was laying on my back it would've been different? I'm not really claustrophobic though. I did have headphones with music but yeah, it's kind of loud so it was hard to hear. I don't think it lasted more than 15 minutes total & the tech did tell me how long each segment was going to be. I think the longest was like 6 minutes. The worst part, for me, was getting the IV contrast....I hate needles! ;)

justlearning
02-07-2009, 05:58 PM
When I had an MRI, they put a washcloth over my eyes. I'm glad that they did--it helped not being able to see anything and I'm glad that I didn't have to worry about freaking out if I opened my eyes. They didn't give me any music to listen to, but that would be nice if you got that. (I used headphones during my c-section that helped keep me calm.) I just prayed the whole time and tried to view that time as a blessing--I'll treasure any alone time to myself without screaming kids! :)

Melbel
02-07-2009, 07:56 PM
I have had numerous MRI's over the years and it really is not bad. IME, different MRI centers handle things differently. I find it helpful for the techs to guide you through the portions of the test (i.e. this portion will last 5 minutes, etc.). I also like it when there is music to pass the time. Some centers provide ear plugs. Deep breathing helps me to relax.

hez
02-07-2009, 08:11 PM
One word: Valium. Yes, it requires a 'sober driver', but I'm very claustrophobic and wanted to be sure we got everything in one take.

Also, I chose to close my eyes before they put me in the tube, and I never opened them 'til I got out. That also kept me sane.

Take a CD that relaxes you-- they should be able to play it from the booth for you. iPod won't work 'cause the magnet will erase it.

hardysmom
02-07-2009, 08:25 PM
First (and probably most important) is not to get psyched out before you arrive. It is noisy and annoying, but not painful or difficult. If you can live in the house with a couple typical toddlers, you can handle the noise.

Small space, but you are not locked in or strapped down or anything. If you have big issues with small spaces, ask your doctor if you can have a couple of valium. It isn't a big request, they won't think you're a nut, drug seeker, etc... Often, a person can be so nervous about the test/results that they become more sensitive than usual.

Earplugs are good if you are sensitive to sound.

Generally, the REASON you're having the MRI is much much much more stressful than the test itself. It is easy to let the stress compound into a much bigger deal than it is, get hyper-sensitive, etc

Don't get psyched out.

Hope it goes well. I wish I'd been offered MRIs.

Stephanie

pookee
02-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Love the Valium recommendation!
If you want to go with a natural alternative, go to the health food store and buy some "Rescue Remedy". I used this when I was going through a difficult time in my life and it really works!
http://www.rescueremedy.com/

SASM
02-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Thank you so much, ladies! I really appreciated all of your advice. I went in today and was still not completely prepared. I was expecting a loud noise but NOT 13 variations of a fire alarm!! It is funny how everyone preceives the noise differently. A friend who went through the same scan at the same facility said that it sounded like pounding metal to her. Interesting! Anyway...I forgot to ask for the blanket and I was uncomfortable within the first 2 minutes of the 20-minute face-down portion, but I cannot thank you enough for warning me to NOT MOVE b/c the tech didn't mention this. My fingers were asleep for half of the scan and my forehead went numb due to lack of padding but I stayed still. THANK YOU!! I just concentrated on the very low music (I thought that it was high enough before the noise but it wasn't piped into the headphone, it was just piped into the room), and tried to follow the patterns of each new "fire alarm" and all went well. I wasn't bothered by clausterphobia, so that wasn't an issue. THANK YOU!!

Emmas Mom
02-09-2009, 04:24 PM
Glad you made it through ok, here's hoping you get GOOD results!! :hug: