PDA

View Full Version : Hotel to hotel time estimates??

SASM
02-07-2009, 03:46 PM
I am not sure if something like this exists, but is there a site that TRIES to calculate travel time between hotel to hotel on WDW property? I know that bus times can vary d/t traffic, time of day, and time of year but I am curious. We are going for a conference again and have already stayed at the conference hotel. DH is considering staying at a different hotel and traveling between hotels for the conference using the bus system. Not sure if it'll be worth it but I understand his desire to experience a new atmosphere and resort. I fear that it'll tack on 2 extra hours of travel time a day and WHO wants to do that on vaca?!?!

Just curious. At the moment, we are not getting a rental, but DH is considering it to possibly see some other Orlando sites, so that'll remedy the bus issue if he truly is serious.

TIA!

Momof3Labs
02-07-2009, 04:29 PM
It's so unpredictable because it depends on how long you wait for a bus (and now you're waiting for two busses - one to get you to a park or DTD, and then one to get to conference hotel). If he does this, he should probably allow around 1.5hrs in the morning for travel time, and then it is what it is on the way back. I would definitely, definitely rent a car if you're going this route as it would save probably two hours of travel time every day (car rentals are soooo cheap if you book around a month ahead of time - I usually get a minivan for less than $25/day).

Another option would be for him to take a taxi between hotels but that would probably cost more than the car rental in the end.

egoldber
02-07-2009, 04:35 PM
If he plans to travel to and from a hotel every day, and if the conference start times are in the 8-9 am timeframe, I would rent a car. You definitely need to allow 1 - 1.5 hours for hotel to hotel travel. Best case would be 40 minutes and that's if the bus you need is there waiting for you each time.

SASM
02-08-2009, 02:55 PM
It's so unpredictable because it depends on how long you wait for a bus (and now you're waiting for two busses - one to get you to a park or DTD, and then one to get to conference hotel). If he does this, he should probably allow around 1.5hrs in the morning for travel time, and then it is what it is on the way back. I would definitely, definitely rent a car if you're going this route as it would save probably two hours of travel time every day (car rentals are soooo cheap if you book around a month ahead of time - I usually get a minivan for less than $25/day).

Another option would be for him to take a taxi between hotels but that would probably cost more than the car rental in the end.

Hi Lori!

Thanks for the response! That is exactly what I figured. YUCK! We were JUST discussing minivan rentals and that is soooooo cheap!

My fear is that if we use the minivan to and from the parks for family use, in addition to the conference usage, we'll be parking soooooo far away from the park entrances that it would be best just to take the buses for park use. What do you think?

SASM
02-08-2009, 02:58 PM
If he plans to travel to and from a hotel every day, and if the conference start times are in the 8-9 am timeframe, I would rent a car. You definitely need to allow 1 - 1.5 hours for hotel to hotel travel. Best case would be 40 minutes and that's if the bus you need is there waiting for you each time.

Thanks, Beth! What are your thoughts in regards to my question in the above post? :)

egoldber
02-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Well in general, I think it makes the most sense to use the bus to the MK. Then you get to skip parking at the TTC and then the boat or monorail to park entrance, which can take 30 minutes.

Other than that, as long as you plan to get to a park either right when it open OR late in the afternoon, I think bus and car are a wash.

Our last trip was the first time we relied completely on the WDW buses (there were too many in our party for a car) and it was fine. But we've also driven exclusively and it was fine too. If his work will pay for a car, then I would get one because it can be handy if you want to eat off property, run to a grocery store, etc.

Momof3Labs
02-08-2009, 05:37 PM
ITA with Beth. Bus is far superior to get you to MK but the other parks are pretty much a wash as long as you arrive pretty early or later in the day. But we like the car far better to get us to DTD. The DTD bus makes quite a few extra stops around PI (which is temporarily closed) and West End. The only downside is that parking can be iffy at DTD if you hit it at the wrong time.

JTsMom
02-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Do you have AAA? If you can get your hands on a Diamond parking pass, I'd say it makes driving more attractive than buses to all of the parks except th MK. You get to park right up front, next the handicapped spots.

I think you're only supposed to get them if you buy a package through them, but from what I've heard, some offices just give them out.