PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever ordered something from the european website?

kusumat
02-07-2009, 06:46 PM
I am planning to order a baby product from a UK website. Will I get charged a custom when it arrives here? If yes, how are they collecting it? Where I can find out the rate? TIA!

kransden
02-07-2009, 10:22 PM
I order Birkenstocks from Germany. Everything was factored in at the end of the order, before submitting it.

GlindaGoodWitch
02-08-2009, 12:48 AM
Same here when I ordered some Fwahnch stockings. (I used to be so fancy.)

kozachka
02-08-2009, 08:31 AM
I think it depends on the value of your purchase. If it's something relatively inexpensive (less than $100) you have nothing to worry about. I don't remember the limit. I used to think it was $400 (that's how much you can bring in person on you tax free) but have recently read that it's $700.

hardysmom
02-08-2009, 12:36 PM
I order a lot from Europe.

MAKE SURE that they remove the VAT (usually 25% ish) from the price if it is leaving the EU. For the most part, Europeans include the tax in the listed price, but you don't have to pay it if the item is leaving the Euro Zone. Often, removing the tax more than makes up for the shipping price.

I think the custom thing is around $200 for EU. Try to keep the order under that. Depending on shipping costs, I have placed multiple orders. The only time I went over, my order (Sweden) was stopped at JFK in New York and I had to send and additional $40 for some 3rd party shipper (contracted by the store) to do the customs and send it on to me. Annoying and unexpected.

Other than that, stuff has always come right to my house.

Stephanie