PDA

View Full Version : Anything I need to know about Blackberry?

Fairy
02-07-2009, 09:55 PM
I'm buying a Bberry tomorrow. I was a Treo user, but that one had an unfortunate accident with, um, water. Anyhoo, I'm using a RAZR at the moment and cannot offload it soon enough. I really feel like touch screens are not my thing and need the raised buttons. Which Bberry would you recommend? Also, I really only know Windows Mobile; is there anything about the Bberry OS that I should keep in mind that will be really different?

GlindaGoodWitch
02-08-2009, 12:50 AM
I know nothing and am officially no help whatsoever, but I just wanted to tell you that I am green with envy.

BillK
02-08-2009, 09:58 AM
If your wireless carrier has the Curve - get that. I switched from a Pearl (hated "suretype") to the Curve. I much much prefer the Curve. The jury still seems to be out on the touchscreen Storm - some love it - some hate it.

As I have no experience with Windows Mobile I can't offer any advice there other than to say I love my Blackberry Curve.

btw...do youself a favor and bookmark: www.crackberry.com - probably the best source of information regarding Blackberry out there.

kozachka
02-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Our office went with Blackberry Curve as it's much easier to type on. I've been using it for over a year and love it. Wish I got some sort enclosed cover (as opposed to a leather 'pocket' that we have) for it earlier as I've dropped it a few times while pulling out of the bag and the back cover no longer stays in place.

BillK
02-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Our office went with Blackberry Curve as it's much easier to type on. I've been using it for over a year and love it. Wish I got some sort enclosed cover (as opposed to a leather 'pocket' that we have) for it earlier as I've dropped it a few times while pulling out of the bag and the back cover no longer stays in place.
http://www.seidioonline.com/ has GREAT accessories for Blackberries.

I have their black Innocase (hard plastic w/rubberized coating) for my Curve along with the matching holster and love it. I also have their desktop charger - it's nice being able to just plop my Curve into that before bed every few nights w/o fumbling around looking for my wall charger.

http://www.seidioonline.com/product-p/csr2bb8330-bk.htm (they also have it in blue, red and pink - as well as clear versions)

amandabea
02-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Another Blackberry Curve user here. I love it and have no issues with the OS. Definitely get some kind protective cover - I have the leather pouch/pocket, but I wish I had something I could keep on it at all times. It's been dropped many times!

kozachka
02-08-2009, 11:03 AM
I am sure this case is not as nice as the one posted by Bill but it's sufficiently good for my needs I paid $6.61 with S&H and the price has dropped by $1.65 since than. In case you don't want to spend too much but still want to protects your Curve. And there are many "in between" options as well:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016PEN38

caleymama
02-08-2009, 11:04 AM
If your wireless carrier has the Curve - get that. I switched from a Pearl (hated "suretype") to the Curve. I much much prefer the Curve. The jury still seems to be out on the touchscreen Storm - some love it - some hate it.

As I have no experience with Windows Mobile I can't offer any advice there other than to say I love my Blackberry Curve.

btw...do youself a favor and bookmark: www.crackberry.com (http://www.crackberry.com) - probably the best source of information regarding Blackberry out there.

:yeahthat:

DH has the Pearl with "suretype" and likes it fine, but he was switching from a regular cell phone whereas I was used to the QWERTY keyboard on my Treo and felt like I was taking a step backwards. He wanted a smaller device than my Curve and feels the suretype is a compromise he can live with. My sister has the 8830 World Edition BB and it doesn't have a camera. I adore the camera on mine and find that it takes great pics and video for a phone.

I do miss using Palm Desktop - it was my calendar for years both at home and on first my Palm PDA and then my Treo. I use the Blackberry organizer but haven't figured out a great way to sync it with a desktop companion. I don't have Outlook and don't really want to purchase it, and I haven't been able to get Google's Calendar to sync correctly. Other than that, I love the Blackberry, especially the Blackberry messenger feature.

For a case, I have this (http://shop.crackberry.com/blackberry-skin-case/4A54A2473.htm) case that I picked up at a Verizon Wireless store. It's not fancy, but it does the job for me.

daniele_ut
02-08-2009, 11:14 AM
I went from a regular phone to a Blackberry Pearl just over a year ago. It took a short time to get used to the predictive typing, but I mostly liked it. I really loved the intuitive nature of the Blackberry OS and how accessible all of the most used features were. The big thing I didn't like was the trackball. Mine had to be replaced 3x and I always seemed to have a callous on my thumb!

My office just changed carriers and took away the option for Blackberry, so we were offered a bunch of choices and most of us picked the coolest, shiniest Windows Mobile phone, the HTC Touch Pro. I can't express how much I loathe the thing. Nearly everyone in my division feels the same way and they gave us the option to trade in our phones. I've had it for 2 weeks and it feels like nothing is intuitive to me about it. It takes multiple steps to do anything, where the Blackberry only took one. I wanted a phone with an organizer and other features, not a tiny computer with a phone somewhere inside. The web browsing capabilities are amazing, the camera is awesome, the video stuff is fun., but at the end of the day, I use my phone primarily for work and those things aren't nearly as important as the organizer and phone. I decided to switch to the Palm Treo 800w and i hope I don't regret it!

infomama
02-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Blackberry's seem so cool but I can't buy into it b/c there is no way I am paying for a data plan. Palm phones are the only PDA's left that don't require a data plan (according to Verizon) Also we really rely on the color coded calender the Palm OS has. My friend loves her blackberry tho.

luvmypeanut
02-08-2009, 01:17 PM
I went from a Pearl to a Bold. I actually do like suretype as it's easy to type with one hand, but I've since gotten used to the Bold. DH has a curve but I feel the Bold is built more solid and the screen is incredible. It also has video capture but I really only use the camera. And if you use a mac computer you'll have to get Missing Sync or PocketMac because the Blackberry software is only for PC users.

Fairy
02-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Thank you so much, everyone. This is so so helpful. I think the curve it is. I do not do well with touchscreens, so I was leery of the storm. Now the pearle is free with the 2 year re-up. So, that's a hard one to pass up. But I'm not a fan of teh suretype concept, so I wasn't sure if i'd like it. I didn't realize the world edition didn't come with a carera. Jeez, what ever did we do before phones came with cameras? In fact, what did we do before there were cellphones?! Amazing how when we are suddenly enabled with something we didn't know we needed, we suddenly cannot live without it.

So, my phone "needs" a camera ;-) So, it's either the pearl or the curve, probably the latter. We're leaving for the store shortly.

THANK YOU!!!

melissaflorida
02-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Other than it's the best thing ever?? LOL

I am obessed and addicted to my BB. I just got the new Bold, on the 3g network.

I have AT & T phone plan with an unlimited BB for $30.00.

~Melissa

s_gosney
02-08-2009, 05:50 PM
I have AT & T phone plan with an unlimited BB for $30.00.

Wow, really? We have AT&T and I have been lusting after a smartphone for awhile. May just have to look into this...

Fairy
02-08-2009, 06:26 PM
I am stuck with Verizon. I just got back, and DH got the new Chocolate (eh), and I got the Bberry Curve in pink. What a difference from the RAZR and Treo. It'll be a bit to get used to, but so far I like it! My current confusion is in trying to download a ringtone. Can't figure out how to do it from the phone itself. I tried doing it fromt he website, but I need to give them my PW, and no clue what that is, so they are theoretically texting me a temporary PW, which I've not gotten yet.

I also can't figure out how to get to the Internet. rather easy with the Treo. But can't find IE anywhere. Ya gotta download that? So confused. Will probably go to the crackberry.com site to try to figure this stuff out.

caleymama
02-08-2009, 06:33 PM
I am stuck with Verizon. I just got back, and DH got the new Chocolate (eh), and I got the Bberry Curve in pink. What a difference from the RAZR and Treo. It'll be a bit to get used to, but so far I like it! My current confusion is in trying to download a ringtone. Can't figure out how to do it from the phone itself. I tried doing it fromt he website, but I need to give them my PW, and no clue what that is, so they are theoretically texting me a temporary PW, which I've not gotten yet.

I also can't figure out how to get to the Internet. rather easy with the Treo. But can't find IE anywhere. Ya gotta download that? So confused. Will probably go to the crackberry.com site to try to figure this stuff out.

For the internet - use the Blackberry browser or you can download Opera Mini, which is another browser that people like.

For ringtones, if you want to download a different one, I've had good luck with the downloads at crackberry.com. I had to sign up, but once I did that I was able to email them to myself, open the email on my phone, and then save the ringtone to the phone so that I can access it as a ringtone.

Also, I would recommend getting a microSD card for pictures/video. That way you can use the best quality for pics and transfer them easily from card to computer, in addition to being able to email/message them. I loaded songs from my computer onto the card and use those songs for ringtones too.

niccig
02-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Wow, really? We have AT&T and I have been lusting after a smartphone for awhile. May just have to look into this...

I think the $30 she quoted was for the Blackberry data plan. You still have to pay for a voice plan.

melissaflorida
02-08-2009, 08:54 PM
That is correct. I have an unlimited anytime minute plan for $99.00 and then the $30.00 unlimited BB data plan.

~Melissa

mrshalco
02-08-2009, 10:30 PM
My DH has the BB Curve and he LOVES it!! He owns his own company and he does everything on that phone. One thing that I found for him that he loves and raves about is called Best Skins Ever. (www.bestskinsever.com) It's a cover that adheres to the screen to protect it from scratches. The product covers the whole phone but DH only added it to his screen. It works so well that when someone pulled out and hit DH's car last summer....the phone flew up hit the rearview mirror, knocking it off and then hitting the windshied and smashing it, - the screen on his phone was remarkably unhurt!! The car was totalled! I think it's worth it to protect the screen if you plan on using it for a long time!!

s_gosney
02-08-2009, 11:07 PM
That is correct. I have an unlimited anytime minute plan for $99.00 and then the $30.00 unlimited BB data plan.

~Melissa

Oh, duh. :duh: That makes a lot more sense.

mominjune
02-09-2009, 03:02 AM
Another new BB Curve lover here. I never thought I needed anything more than my Razr (didn't text msg, just used it only as a phone). But I am one of those people who can't remember what I ever did without it- and now can text, IM, email without the DDs complaining/climbing on my lap, trying to get the keyboard or whining.

Another perk, I have BBB bookmarked so I can check in here while I'm walking into Target to check out the deals, or at the mall look up a review of something on the msg board. LOL.

I second the bestskinsever. It's inexpensive, and gets great reviews from my techie brother and DH. The hardest part for me was finding a 24 hour time frame when I didn't need my phone while the coating dried on the phone. I caved after 16 hours and turned my phone on and used it (they say to leave it off for 24hours)

My brother updated my OS to the newest version so I could see pictures in emails, and some other better features. He was surprised that it shipped to me with the older OS version even though the newer version was available.

Hope you love your phone as much as I do! :)