PDA

View Full Version : Washington DC hotels

heatherlynn
02-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Speaking of vacations/travel... we're going to WDC 3rd week of April sometime. We usually stay at the JW Marriott, but that's in December when it's considerably cheaper. I will say that I do like nice hotels. I can scrimp on pretty much anything (food, cars, whatever), but I do like a nice hotel.

So I'm wondering what suggestions anyone may have to stay near the Mall that is nice but not too too pricey. I want to be able to walk pretty much anywhere (or take the Metro if we're going out a little farther).

Thanks!!

egoldber
02-08-2009, 11:24 AM
There really are not that many cheap hotels in that location in downtown DC. And since that is close to Cherry Blossom time, hotels will fill fast.

ETA: http://nationalcherryblossomfestival.org/cms/index.php?id=390

jayali
02-08-2009, 01:27 PM
We stay at the Willard when we are in DC. The location is ideal and if you call the hotel directly they usually have deals going. The last time we were there was a few years ago the week between Christmas and NY and I was shocked at the deal we got. I think the room was less then $200/night. As PP said you will be going during the peak Cherry Blossom season so hotels will be pricey, but given the way the economy is going I would call lots of hotels directly and see if they have deals going.
I am jealous - we LOVE DC, but DH and I agree that DS is still a little bit too young.

bethie_73
02-08-2009, 04:50 PM
The Willard is nice, we had our company Christmas Party there. My friends stay at Embassy Suites at Chevy Chase. They really like it, but most are here for business, otherwise they scam a way to stay with us ;)

Sorry I haven't actually stayed in many DC hotels.

heatherlynn
02-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks ladies! I was looking at the Willard so I keep on eye on that one. I think Chevy Chase is farther out than I want to be. Basically, I want to be w/in walking distance of the Mall. Thanks again!!

mommylamb
02-09-2009, 01:58 PM
I live and work here, so I don't stay in hotels, but the Phoenix Park is right near my office and that is where we often put people up (near Union Station, right on the Hill, Senate side). Also, there's a new hotel called the Liaison that's close by too and looks nice, but I have no experience there.

citymama
02-09-2009, 03:43 PM
The Omni Shoreham in Woodley Park is a great location - just blocks from the zoo, one block from the metro. When I lived in that neighborhood, I used to have friends and family stay there - I was able to call and get a "neighborhood" rate. ($89-99 king rooms in the summer) I wonder if you could call and say you are booking for a friend in the 20009 zip code and see what you get! April is a fabulous time in DC!

lfp2n
02-09-2009, 04:15 PM
I second the Omni Shoreham or the Marriott a little further up the street by the Metro. You can often get a good rate off Priceline.
Its a good place to stay with kids, its walking distance to the zoo and Metro (easy to get to the Mall) and very near a bunch of cheapish/kid friendly restaurants.

dcmom2b3
02-09-2009, 04:19 PM
I live and work here, so I don't stay in hotels, but the Phoenix Park is right near my office and that is where we often put people up (near Union Station, right on the Hill, Senate side). Also, there's a new hotel called the Liaison that's close by too and looks nice, but I have no experience there.

OMG, mommylamb -- we're work neighbors. I'm close to Union Station too. Small world, eh?

OP, in the same 'hood as the Phoenix Park is the Hotel George (15 E Street NW) a Hyatt, and the Washington Court Hotel (both on New Jersey Ave, NW). The Hotel George is small and nice, but pricey, I think. The other two are just fine, but they're not the Willard. Next door to the Willard is the Hotel Washington. I have the sense that it isn't terribly nice, but it does have a great rooftop bar -- great for a drink on a pretty spring evening.

South of the Mall, there's a large chain hotel at at L'Enfant Plaza (not sure of which one), and the Mandarin Oriental (relatively new, and supposedly lovely). They also might be walking distance to the Mall.

Have fun!

mommylamb
02-09-2009, 04:45 PM
OMG, mommylamb -- we're work neighbors. I'm close to Union Station too. Small world, eh?

South of the Mall, there's a large chain hotel at at L'Enfant Plaza (not sure of which one), and the Mandarin Oriental (relatively new, and supposedly lovely). They also might be walking distance to the Mall.

Have fun!

Funny... what a small world. Hi neighbor.

The one at L'Enfant Plaza is a Lowes. I think that Mandarin Oriental is supposed to be quite pricey.

HGraceMom
02-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Try the Monaco - just lovely.