PDA

View Full Version : Budget friendly durable diaper bag?

KarenLud
02-08-2009, 01:15 PM
So I've done some looking around and it seems like most people tend to recommend bags that are in the $100+ range and right now I just can't seem to justify that for us. Is it really necessary (I mean, I could be talked into it! Lol)? Are these bags (skip hop, ju ju be, etc) really worth it? I'm so overwhelmed with all the choices! I'd like to keep the bag in the range of around $50-60. A couple of my friends just use back packs and that isn't sounding like a bad idea right now. Does anyone else use a back pack or other brand of bag they like and can recommend? Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
02-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Many of my friends just use a backpack too- good old LL Bean, Jansport... They make nice changing pads that have pockets on them for diapering essentials. I have just been throwing my diaper/ wipe pouch (like a Diapess/ Wipees ) in my purse and calling it a day.

My diaper bag strategy is that I use my big diaper bag(Combi) that I bought before ds1 was born to store all the extra stuff I want to have when we are out and about and keep that in the car. It has full changes of clothes for everyone, a towel and just extra provisions I want to have on hand. But, that resides in the car full time and I use my purse, my Lands End Little Tripper or one of my totes when we are out and about.

Think about your lifestyle and the kinds of bags you carry now. I bought that giant diaper bag because I thought that was what you were supposed to have but I never liked big purses so it didn't work for me. Also, I chose to wear baby rather than use a stroller those first few months and a big diaper bag made me feel all lopsided. I had to pare things down to the basics just for the sake of convenience when we were out and about.

I get sucked in sometimes on the really cute diaper bags but I usually just keep my eyes out for cute totes and use them instead. :)

Beth

hellokitty
02-08-2009, 02:40 PM
I think that a comfortable backpack is more than adequate as a good diaper bag. The ones you see recommended her are often recommended for being fashionable rather than just being functional. I think that if you care mostly about function, a backpack is really a good way to go to get the best bang fr you buck, esp since so many backpacks now have a ton of pockets for organization.

KarenLud
02-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Many of my friends just use a backpack too- good old LL Bean, Jansport... They make nice changing pads that have pockets on them for diapering essentials. I have just been throwing my diaper/ wipe pouch (like a Diapess/ Wipees ) in my purse and calling it a day.

My diaper bag strategy is that I use my big diaper bag(Combi) that I bought before ds1 was born to store all the extra stuff I want to have when we are out and about and keep that in the car. It has full changes of clothes for everyone, a towel and just extra provisions I want to have on hand. But, that resides in the car full time and I use my purse, my Lands End Little Tripper or one of my totes when we are out and about.

Think about your lifestyle and the kinds of bags you carry now. I bought that giant diaper bag because I thought that was what you were supposed to have but I never liked big purses so it didn't work for me. Also, I chose to wear baby rather than use a stroller those first few months and a big diaper bag made me feel all lopsided. I had to pare things down to the basics just for the sake of convenience when we were out and about.

I get sucked in sometimes on the really cute diaper bags but I usually just keep my eyes out for cute totes and use them instead. :)

Beth

Brilliant Beth! It's like you took thoughts that I normally have and said it. I love the idea of having a bigger one in the car with all the change of clothes, etc. I normally carry a big purse (but this was mostly due to my job at the time..I used my purse to carry small folders and a notebook but since I've been laid off I don't really need to. I tend to prefer a smaller purse). That said I could use the purse I have now to carry wipes and a few diapers or whatever and then keep a larger diaper bag/back pack in the car! Thanks!

KarenLud
02-08-2009, 03:20 PM
I think that a comfortable backpack is more than adequate as a good diaper bag. The ones you see recommended her are often recommended for being fashionable rather than just being functional. I think that if you care mostly about function, a backpack is really a good way to go to get the best bang fr you buck, esp since so many backpacks now have a ton of pockets for organization.

Thanks! I am more of a function before fashion girl anyway...although those bags are cute :)

ang79
02-08-2009, 03:41 PM
I've gotten a few nice "designer" bags recently for great deals (would never pay full price!). I have a Fleurville Sling tote and Babymel Amanda that I use for my everyday bags and have picked up a few of the smaller JuJuBe bags that are being discontinued. littledudesanddivas.com has some on sale right now too.

Fleurville is having a seconds sale right now and I've heard that usually there are no noticeable flaws and they are at a great price. Also, check out Ebay, the Pink Room forum at the JuJuBe website, and http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybags/ for great deals on new and EUC bags.

Good luck!

MamaKath
02-08-2009, 05:30 PM
If you are looking for a non-diaper bag backpack, check out LandsEnd clearance (very comfy, they have a bunch on clearance) and Target.

MamaKath
02-08-2009, 06:01 PM
http://fleurville.com/product/seconds is another place to look. I meant on my prior post to say Target backpacks on clearance and also their line of SkipHop bags in the baby section. www.Sierratradingpost.com always has all kinds of totes and bags also. Oh and one last one would be Chester STyle bags http://www.chesterstyle.com/index.php?cPath=2&osCsid=9eb7041d5338754945ddccf4f3a0214f

GraceH
02-15-2009, 03:28 AM
I have the $20 Eddie Bauer Mini Coordinator diaper bag - it's nothing to get excited about looks-wise, but Daddy will carry it and it keeps all DS stuff in one place - I also have the Fisher Price Portable Changer tucked in it... originally, I had all 'my' stuff in the front outer pocket and baby stuff in the inside compartment & pockets (now I carry a separate purse to work & the bag goes with DS to childcare) - the strap is adjustable, so you can 'tote it', 'purse it', or 'messenger bag' it ...
the zipper finally derailed and won't close now, but it took 14 months of everyday abuse (yes, abuse - we are constantly on the go and in a hurry) to get to that point - since it's only $20 or less, I'm actually considering getting another one, although we may be able to go even smaller now.

bubbaray
02-15-2009, 12:10 PM
The bags that I used most often with newborns were my SkipHop Dash and Lands End Little Tripper. I EBFd both girls, so had no need for room for bottles, though. If you are BFg, the LE LT is a really nice sized bag. I have a number of non-mom friends who have since ordered it for a casual "purse". Its one of the few bags I will use after I no longer need a diaper bag.

Timbuk2 messengers also work well as diaper bags and have a "life" after diaper bag time. I recommend the small size -- the medium works if you want to put the baby IN the bag as well!

KarenLud
02-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! So many choices it's a bit overwhelming! I think it will be one of those things that ends up being trial and error...I have to use it before I know if it will work!

Melaine
02-15-2009, 02:52 PM
I love my Skip Hop "Spark" from Target. I bought mine for $7.50 on clearance, but even new they are only $30. From what I can tell, I actually like it better than the Duo. My one issue with it is that it doesn't zip closed, but has a little velcro.

vonfirmath
02-16-2009, 11:10 AM
I've purchased many other bags, but my favorite is still the Babies R Us special "Winnie the Pooh" bag I got for my shower. It just seems to fit everything the best.

bekkalu
02-16-2009, 12:24 PM
My suggestion is the Skip Hop "Spark" bag that they carry at Target; it's very similar to the Duo but like half as much $. I have one and it's great!

vludmilla
02-16-2009, 01:21 PM
I really never used my diaper bag all that much after the first year or so. I wouldn't bother spending $100 if you don't just have the extra money to spare. I have a Pottery Barn Baby ultimate diaper bag ($60) and it is just fine. I don't miss the fancier ones.

aajamu
02-18-2009, 05:47 PM
I really never used my diaper bag all that much after the first year or so. I wouldn't bother spending $100 if you don't just have the extra money to spare. I have a Pottery Barn Baby ultimate diaper bag ($60) and it is just fine. I don't miss the fancier ones.

Agree with the PBK Ultimate bag. I prefer to the Skip Hop Dash - the strap padding is way comfier and the canvas nylon is more elegant. Side bottle pockets roomier and more functional too. I don't know why on earth PBK stopped making that bag, it was really popular. 3 of my mom's group members had it!