PDA

View Full Version : Which diaper bag for twins?

carolecarolebobarole
02-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm 26 weeks pregnant with twins, and I'm searching for a well organized, useful bag. I'm very impressed with the Ju Ju Be bags. <www.ju-ju-be.com/products.html> I'm trying to decide between the Premiere bags--the BeRightBack, BePrepared, and BeSpicy. Because I can carry it on my back, the backpack model, "BeRightBack", seems very practical. But is it big enough? The BePrepared seems very roomy, maybe that would be a better bet? And then the BeSpicy is just so darn cute, especially since it looks like a regular tote. But again, I don't know if it would be roomy enough or if it would be cumbersome and awkward.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice!
~Carole

Momof3Labs
02-09-2009, 11:39 AM
My twins aren't here yet, but I've done the diaper bag thing for years. Backpack diaper bags are a pain because they are hard to access while on your back. I'd go with something that fits well in your stroller basket (or hanging off the handles) because, really, I bet that it will be a long time before you are out with both babies and no stroller (or shopping cart). I also like something that closes securely with a zipper - no open top totes or loose flaps - so that things don't fall out when (since it is inevitable) the bag falls over or lands in your car upside down.

carolecarolebobarole
02-09-2009, 02:37 PM
My twins aren't here yet, but I've done the diaper bag thing for years. Backpack diaper bags are a pain because they are hard to access while on your back. I'd go with something that fits well in your stroller basket (or hanging off the handles) because, really, I bet that it will be a long time before you are out with both babies and no stroller (or shopping cart). I also like something that closes securely with a zipper - no open top totes or loose flaps - so that things don't fall out when (since it is inevitable) the bag falls over or lands in your car upside down.

Ah! I was wondering if the diaper bag being on my back would make it inaccessible. Thank you for your seasoned input! Is there a diaper bag model and/or brand that you would recommend? Thanks!
~Carole

Momof3Labs
02-09-2009, 03:21 PM
My favorite diaper bags were only good for one in diapers at a time, and no bottles (both boys were exclusively bf'd), so they are probably too small for twins, especially twins on bottles.

gatorsmom
02-11-2009, 01:44 AM
Just wanted to chime in my thoughts on this. I have tried numerous diaper bags and have only liked the backpacks. There's a couple of reasons for this. When I have a shoulder bag on and bend over to attend to a child, it always swings forward and hits them! I've found that very annoying. Also, when the diaper bag is on my back, it's out of the way. I have 2 free hands for holding hands, I can unfold my stroller or fold it up, really just about anything. When I need to get something out of it, I just swing it off one shoulder and reach around. It's really not a problem for me. In fact, I 've been able to wear it on my back while slinging an infant in front.

I have had the Petunia Picklebottom Boxy backpack and LOVED. It is roomy, comfortable, has plenty of pockets and the patterns are darling. However, the fabric is delicate and is only dry cleanable. So, I tried the Jujube Packabe which when I was looking was the largest Jujube backpack they created and honestly, it is a workhorse. I have that thing filled to the top all the time and it is heavy. But it is still in fantastic shape after nearly 2 years with twins and a toddler's stuff to carry around. It can be worn as a backpack or a shoulder bag. The zippers are sturdy and it has a lot of organization. The magnet closures on the front pockets are VERY strong too. The outside fabric is wipeable-yay! I honestly have no complaints about it.

Until recently, I carried 2 sizes of diapers, wipes, a single change of clothes for the twins, a change of clothes that could fit either of my older boys, bottles, juice boxes and a little snack for the boys, my wallet, a little makeup bag for me, my cell phone and some miscellaneous things like little toys and crayons for the boys. It all fit in there.

hth and good luck with your pregnancy!

twowhat?
02-12-2009, 10:40 PM
I bought the columbia backpack diaper bag from babies r us and I have twins. I'm really happy with the purchase. For the first several months, you don't have the energy to make more than short trips anyway, and this bag was perfect for carrying several diapers, changing pad, a change of clothes, several burp clothes and a couple blankets, a couple of bottles, and pacifiers. It also has loops for attaching to the handlbar of a stroller. It's the only thing I've used since the twins were born 5 months ago - and with twins you need both hands free so the backpack was great. Plus, it was cheap. I don't think you need anything more unless you're going to be making long trips out. I don't think I'll need a bigger bag until the babies are much older.

Momof3Labs
02-13-2009, 07:08 PM
Just wanted to chime in my thoughts on this. I have tried numerous diaper bags and have only liked the backpacks. There's a couple of reasons for this. When I have a shoulder bag on and bend over to attend to a child, it always swings forward and hits them! I've found that very annoying. Also, when the diaper bag is on my back, it's out of the way. I have 2 free hands for holding hands, I can unfold my stroller or fold it up, really just about anything. When I need to get something out of it, I just swing it off one shoulder and reach around. It's really not a problem for me. In fact, I 've been able to wear it on my back while slinging an infant in front.

And these are the reasons that I prefer a messenger bag style diaper bag (when I have to carry one vs. plunking it on the stroller), plus you can access a messenger bag without removing it. I always hated tote-style diaper bags (even when I had only one child) because they would swing around when you bent down, were hard to carry with a child on a hip, tied up an arm, etc.

gatorsmom
02-13-2009, 07:43 PM
And these are the reasons that I prefer a messenger bag style diaper bag (when I have to carry one vs. plunking it on the stroller), plus you can access a messenger bag without removing it. I always hated tote-style diaper bags (even when I had only one child) because they would swing around when you bent down, were hard to carry with a child on a hip, tied up an arm, etc.

Yeah, you know I really, really liked the messanger bags but I'm short and they overwhelmed me with all the stuff I had to put in them. By the time I filled them with everything I needed, they were uncomfortable. Plus, they'd get heavy and I couldn't take them off quickly. This was important if I had to run after toddlers quickly. But I could see how someone would prefer a messanger style bag if they didn't have as much to pack.

dowlinal
02-13-2009, 11:37 PM
Just to make it more confusing, I actually prefer a tote style to a messenger or a backpack. I am short and have a large chest so messenger style bags are not comfortable for me. I dislike backpacks with babies for the same reasons Lori posted. I feel like I'm always reaching into my bag for something and like to have easy access.

I am planning on getting a BePrepared for the twins. I need enough room for all my babystuff plus I need stuff to entertain my older two. I love the quality of JuJuBe bags. I have a mini-be that I hope to someday be able to use again. One warning though, the magnets on the bags are super strong so be careful with credit/ATM cards. I sometimes stick mine in a pocket if I am in a hurry at checkout and I killed two ATM cards by popping them in the front magnetic pocket. I didn't figure it out until the second time.

carolecarolebobarole
02-14-2009, 05:45 AM
My favorite diaper bags were only good for one in diapers at a time, and no bottles (both boys were exclusively bf'd), so they are probably too small for twins, especially twins on bottles.
Thank you for the update, Momof3Labs!

carolecarolebobarole
02-14-2009, 05:59 AM

I have had the Petunia Picklebottom Boxy backpack and LOVED. It is roomy, comfortable, has plenty of pockets and the patterns are darling. However, the fabric is delicate and is only dry cleanable. So, I tried the Jujube Packabe which when I was looking was the largest Jujube backpack they created and honestly, it is a workhorse. I have that thing filled to the top all the time and it is heavy. But it is still in fantastic shape after nearly 2 years with twins and a toddler's stuff to carry around. It can be worn as a backpack or a shoulder bag. The zippers are sturdy and it has a lot of organization. The magnet closures on the front pockets are VERY strong too. The outside fabric is wipeable-yay! I honestly have no complaints about it.

Until recently, I carried 2 sizes of diapers, wipes, a single change of clothes for the twins, a change of clothes that could fit either of my older boys, bottles, juice boxes and a little snack for the boys, my wallet, a little makeup bag for me, my cell phone and some miscellaneous things like little toys and crayons for the boys. It all fit in there.

hth and good luck with your pregnancy!

Thank you GatorsMom! It's so helpful to read about a mother of twins experience with the JJB bags. They seem so thoughtfully organized and designed. It sounds like the quality of the bags is worth their price tag. The tip about the magnets is great! JJB offers so many great bags; I'm a bit overwhelmed. Thanks for the good luck wishes and the great feedback!

carolecarolebobarole
02-14-2009, 06:02 AM
I bought the columbia backpack diaper bag from babies r us and I have twins. I'm really happy with the purchase. For the first several months, you don't have the energy to make more than short trips anyway, and this bag was perfect for carrying several diapers, changing pad, a change of clothes, several burp clothes and a couple blankets, a couple of bottles, and pacifiers. It also has loops for attaching to the handlbar of a stroller. It's the only thing I've used since the twins were born 5 months ago - and with twins you need both hands free so the backpack was great. Plus, it was cheap. I don't think you need anything more unless you're going to be making long trips out. I don't think I'll need a bigger bag until the babies are much older.
Great to know there is a good, inexpensive option available! I'll check it out right now online. Thanks for letting me know about that, TwoWhat?.

carolecarolebobarole
02-14-2009, 06:11 AM
Just to make it more confusing, I actually prefer a tote style to a messenger or a backpack. I am short and have a large chest so messenger style bags are not comfortable for me. I dislike backpacks with babies for the same reasons Lori posted. I feel like I'm always reaching into my bag for something and like to have easy access.

I am planning on getting a BePrepared for the twins. I need enough room for all my babystuff plus I need stuff to entertain my older two. I love the quality of JuJuBe bags. I have a mini-be that I hope to someday be able to use again. One warning though, the magnets on the bags are super strong so be careful with credit/ATM cards. I sometimes stick mine in a pocket if I am in a hurry at checkout and I killed two ATM cards by popping them in the front magnetic pocket. I didn't figure it out until the second time.

Oops--that was your helpful comment about the magnets! Sorry!
The BePrepared seems great. Thank you so much for your helpful thoughts.

carolecarolebobarole
02-14-2009, 06:17 AM
I bought the columbia backpack diaper bag from babies r us and I have twins.

Hi again!
BRU has a few Columbia backpack diaper bags. Do you recall if it is the "Trekster", "Baby Backpack", or the "Vertical Glide"? The Vertical Glide is in the backpack category but doesn't look like a backpack.
<http://www.toysrus.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2256157>
Thanks!

Melaine
02-14-2009, 09:34 AM
My favorite so far has been the skip hop duo double. I just can't handle any bag that doesn't hang ON the stroller, easily and not get in my way!

Momof3Labs
02-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Another consideration is the type of stroller you will use. A true backpack won't hang on a single stroller handle (but is fine on umbrella handles). Many of the nicer bags have stroller loops now, though, which will allow the bag to hang off a single handle just fine. In a pinch, I've used Stroll'r Swivl'rs when I have a bag that is incompatible with the stroller handles, but they aren't my favorite as they slide around and twist when you're trying to hang a bag on them.

For me, how the bag works with my stroller is a bigger deal than how it works on my body because I MUCH MUCH prefer to have the weight of my bag on the stroller vs. carrying it around and further messing up my already touchy back.

Just wanted to add that I have no plans for what I'll do yet for the twins. I really, really want to nurse them and thus minimize the bottle stuff I have to carry around, which means that I might be able to get away with my current favorite Lexie Barnes bag (my older boys will just need a snack or two carried by then) or one of the slightly bigger bags that I retired a while ago.

gatorsmom
02-14-2009, 12:40 PM

For me, how the bag works with my stroller is a bigger deal than how it works on my body because I MUCH MUCH prefer to have the weight of my bag on the stroller vs. carrying it around and further messing up my already touchy back.

I agree that if you like to put your bag on your stroller, and your are very often using your stroller, then that's something to consider. Half the time I was out and about I was either grocery shopping or making a Target run- then I didn't use the stroller at all.

btw, the Jujube backpacks have stroller loops.

So many considerations!

twowhat?
02-14-2009, 01:34 PM
I have the trekster

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2973321

I love it, and my husband will carry it too:) Like I said, it's great for short trips-to doctor's appointments, friends' houses for a few hours, grocery store, etc for the first several months of your twins' lives. When the babies get bigger, I imagine I'll need a bigger bag (since their clothes, etc will be bigger and since I will probably be making longer trips out or travelling, or carrying additional items like toys and food). For the babies, I just attach a couple of toys on the handlebar for them to keep them entertained while I'm out.

athompson
02-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Hi Carole,

I don't have twins, but I do have two in diapers and a very messy four year old. After many, many bags my favorite is the Lexie Barnes Darling. It's square shaped (vs. rectangle) and seems to hang against my body better if I'm carrying it messenger style and on the stroller. It zips up top, wipes clean and has lots of pockets outside and in. There are two side pockets for bottles/sippies and it comes with a changing pad. I got mine on mamabargains, but you can find them lots of other places. Here's one:
http://www.letsgostrolling.com/lexie-barnes-darling-diaperbag.html
If you do buy from mamabargains, she sells a version that doesn't have the stroller straps. To fix this, I bought the mommy hook stroller clip so that I can clip the bag to anything (the side of the cart at Target, the stroller etc.).
http://www.themommyhook.com/
I can fit diapers for the two younger children, a package of 40 count wipes, snacks, sippies, other necessities and a change of clothes for all three children.
Good luck!

BeachBum
02-15-2009, 05:35 PM
I've been using a Flueriville Sling Tote. I'm a pretty light packer--I'll grant you that but it is working for me so far. I have 2 onesie style outfits in there, a hotsling, a hooter hider, 2 pockets full of diapers, a hard wipes case, a misc pocket. Then I have my stuff on the outside pocket.
It has nice stroller clips too.

fivi2
02-15-2009, 09:07 PM
I am also a backpack person! ITA about shoulder bags swinging aroung and knocking the kids down if I lean over. (messenger bags don't really swing, but I found that it was so full that it was heavy to wear a messenger bag). I don't hang it on my stroller, but I can either stuff it underneath or put down the sun shade things and balance it on top. I don't remember which one it was - some big gender neutral one (I was hoping dh would use it). I have also used my old school backpack. Lots of pockets are good so things don't get lost in the bottom.

As the girls got older, I was able to go smaller to the the OE Donner bag - a smallish messenger style bag. But then they started potty training and I have a ton of stuff to carry once again. So now I just have a tote full of stuff that mostly stays in the car when we are out.

Honestly, I think it will be a lot of trial and error to see what works for you! Also remember, that most of the time you will either have your car nearby to stick an extra bag in and most strollers have a bunch of pockets and storage. So I usually just had extra clothes and diapers in my car and stroller. I didn't spend much on any of my bags because things spill, they get dropped in mud, etc. good luck!

Oak
02-23-2009, 10:27 PM
We use two diaper bags with the twins and our toddler, an Eddie Bauer backpack and a Lands End bag. I strongly recommend a couple and leaving one in the car or nearby with extra clothes, etc. I would recommend a regular backpack and getting a diaper pad that will fit in it.

Oak
03-10-2009, 08:52 PM
I also agree that a backpack is the way to go. I have an older Eddie Bauer Diaper Bag backpack and it is awesome. I will use it as a regular backpack, minus the diaper pad, once it isn't needed as a diaper bag. With a backpack, you can get whatever is comfortable for you and you can choose the size that works, etc.. And if you buy a decent brand, they are much more durable than most diaper bags I have seen. I don't think Eddie Bauer makes them, but I think they still make the pad insert for making any backpack a diaper bag. Personally, I like Undergear backpacks or Gregory or something along those lines.

My wife and I also have a large bag from Lands End. That usually stays in the car, etc., but close by and holds bottles, extra binkies, and changes of clothes.

Hands free with your children is a better way to go.

Vetchic
03-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Twins aren't here yet but we just bought the shkp hop duo double deluxe based off of tons of twin mom reccs. A little pricey but I expect to have it for awhile.

TwinFoxes
03-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Hi - I have a DadGear messenger bag. It's great. It's got useful pockets and compartments, including two insulated bottle pockets. It also has a built in wipes holder under the front flap, so you don't have to go searching for it in the bag. And built in straps to go over the stroller handle. It comes with a changing pad, but it's pretty small you'll probably want a bigger one. They also have a sister company called Daisy Gear, I think the bags are the same, but I'm not positive. One piece of advice I got was to choose a bag my husband wouldn't be embarrassed to carry! I like this bag, and my husband doesn't have to feel like a goofball carrying it. The website is dadgear dot com.

As for a backpack, I bought one when I had to fly cross-country with the twins. I used a regular Eddie Bauer backpack that had lots of pockets, and it was great. And only $30 at Target. It's not big enough for long term use, and no separate compartment for dirty stuff (diaper changing pad, soiled clothes etc.) but it works for quick trips and helps to keep your hands free.

jacobsmommy
03-26-2009, 02:25 PM
I have 8 month old twin boys and a three year old. I love the Ju-Ju-Be BeRightBack. I really wanted a backpack style diaper bag because I found the messenger style bags to be cumbersome when trying to tend to one of my kids. The bag would always fall forward off my shoulder and hit one of the kids. I like having my arms free. The Ju-Ju-Be bags also come with stroller straps so you can access it quickly if you choose to strap it to your stroller. I also like the way the bag is organized. It was important to me to have enough room to carry my things, as well as the kids. It is not a "black hole" like some of the other bags out there. I can find stuff quickly and easily.

Good luck to you.
Stephanie