PDA

View Full Version : Best carrier for newborn on trip?

sadie427
02-09-2009, 01:43 AM
We'll hopefully be traveling soon to pick up our new baby we'll be adopting as a newborn. We'd be staying in a hotel for a week or two and then traveling home w/ about a two week old on a plane. Our carrier choices would be:

-KK fleece pouch (Currently what I was planning to bring, very portable to carry in suitcase and diaper bag and easy to pop baby in and out, but it will be March in Texas, I wonder if it will be too warm?)
-Moby wrap (seems like more wrapping and unwrapping in the airport, etc but it looks like a lot of people really like these for newborns)
-Maya sling (seems a bit heavier to pack b/c of the rings, but I used this a lot w/ DS from a fairly young age)
-Ergo (we don't own this yet, but plan to buy one, so could potentially have it for the trip?) Seems bulky and not necessary for such a small baby though.

Thoughts? TIA!

Neatfreak
02-09-2009, 03:46 AM
I might learn towards a Moby, actually. My second choice would be the KK, but at least for me, there's a huge learning curve to popping a newborn in and out of a pouch. It's not necessarily pretty.

maestramommy
02-09-2009, 10:55 AM
For a newborn I'm leaning towards the sling and the Moby. Both are very adjustable, which is good since you don't know the size of your baby. I really don't think the rings will be that much of an issue, although you probably want to stick to the Moby when you're flying, so you won't have to take your baby out at security. The Ergo is an awesome carrier, but will come in more when your baby is a little older, unless you want to use a blanket or infant insert.

Congratulations!

WatchingThemGrow
02-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Personally, I'd do the Ergo/insert thing just for the versatility. I've yet to see a daddy sporting a Moby or a KK, but I've seen several wearing a newborn (and much older child) in an Ergo. My DH would want to be able to wear the baby also, and I want him to.

Congrats, by the way. How exciting!!!

sadie427
02-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Hmm. Should I get the Ergo in advance then? DH will wear the moby, sling or fleece pouch without any complaints though. I didn't realize it was hard to get a newborn in and out of a pouch--is it harder than getting a newborn out of a sling, which we did w/ DS, or getting a 6 mo old in and out of a pouch, which we also did?

lowrioh
02-09-2009, 11:39 AM
I would recommend the pouch or a sling with a baby that small. I tried to use to Ergo when DD was really small and I thought it was really awkward, especially in comparison to a sling. With the sling she just seemed more secure and comfortable.
I did love wearing DD through the airport in the Ergo when she was 5 months though.