PDA

View Full Version : Question on necessities

glbb35
02-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Hello! We are expecting twins anywhere from a few weeks to two months and I am trying to tie up loose ends as I can imagine bringing home two at one time will be much more difficult than one. We have two other singleton sons.

Anyway, We have the typical pack n play, a swing, a high chair and lots of other things as we have had two other kids. Those of you who have been through this can you advise on the things we will need to add to what we have to make life easier? I imagine another swing, another high chair etc... But what have you found to be the most useful. Since we won't be able to run out and get what we need quickly I am hoping to prepare now.

I will take any advice and thanks!!!!

B

DS 03 & 06 and EDD April-May

gatorsmom
02-11-2009, 02:29 AM
Congrats on the twins! Like you, I had older boys before our twins so I already had some stuff too. I was lucky to be able to hit the summer garage sales to prepare for our November babies.

I had a c/s and it was hard getting around for awhile. In our house, the bedrooms are on the top floor and living areas are on the main floor. So, every time I came downstairs to make breakfast for the boys, get them ready for school, or spend time with them I carried one twin down first then went back up for the other. Going up stairs after a c/s IS HARD. My point is, for the first 2 weeks line up a lot of help, especially for your older boys. And especially if you plan to try to breast feed the twins because breastfeeding 2 is a bit tricky at first until you get the hang of it. Mine were born at 37 weeks but were still very sleepy and had a hard time b/fing and gaining weight so it took some extra work (supplementing with formula and pumping to increase my supply). It all just takes extra time so if you can line up help for your older boys, that will give you the time you need to devote to the twins in the first few weeks.

As for products, I found that it really helped to have a "baby safe station" on every floor. This was the safe place I could set a baby or 2 while doing other things. I had a packnplay on the main floor and one in my bedroom. I kept diapers, wipes, change of clothes, extra pacifiers, etc., in it too. I also had 2 bouncy seats for the bathroom where I took my shower to keep them busy. And I had swings in the family room to keep them happy while I made dinner or folded clothes. So, for the twins I had 4 bouncy seats (2 of them were handmedowns), 3 swings, 2 exesaucers (which they LOVED), and instead of buying another highchair I bought a booster seat which could accommodate an infant or toddler. I dont' like it though, and regret not just buying another highchair. Oh, also we got a second crib for the second twin but they wouldn't sleep in their cribs for the first 6 months. When the twins were about 9 weeks old DH had to leave me alone with the 4 kids for 2 weeks. The twins were colicky and I couldn't take it so I bought 2 Graco Sweetpeace swings out of desperation. They are WONDERFUL and that is where the babies slept until they were close to 7 months old, naps and at night. Then they transitioned to their individual cribs pretty easily. We did get a second crib.

Oh, I wanted to add that if you plan to breast feed your twins (which is an especially great idea for the twins and for your health), I'd highly recommend this pillow. it makes nursing soooo much easier:

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Comfort-Nurse-Plus-Pink/dp/B000GEDVZQ/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1234333306&sr=8-1

I also later was given a Super Yard from a friend. There were extra pieces added on and I swear, that thing is a LIFE SAVER right now. No matter how hard I try to keep tiny Legos, marbles, coins or other toys of my older boys' off the floor, the twins always find them. So, we have this Super Yard set up in half my family room. My older boys know that if they want to play in there, they can't take their toys in there or I'll confiscate them. And that is where I put the twins while loading the dishwasher or doing other things that prevent me from supervising them. I rotate the toys they have to play with in there so they don't get bored with them. And it helps that its in the room where everyone hangs out so the twins are always surrounded by their family members. But honestly, they really like it in there and play well together, as long as they don't get bored. And it's a nice safe place for them, free of little toys. This is the one we have.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00020L78M

I can't think of anything else we got that we didn't already have. Well, except an extra infant carseat. actually, we gave away our Graco Snugride (which i did love) but decided it would be easier to hawl the babies around as long as possible in Graco Safeseats which go up to 30 pounds. The Safeseats fit in our Double SnapnGo and are very handy when picking up the older boys from school and for errands. I dread when they outgrow those Safeseats.

Hope that helps!

caheinz
02-11-2009, 02:48 AM
Thus far, we've found having a second swing and a second bouncy seat to be useful. We're making do with one exersaucer, and we might start looking for a second high chair soon... (Right now, most dinners are with one twin in each DH and my laps.)

We replaced the old SnugRide with a pair of SafeSeats.

Upstairs, one crib is still working, and one playyard downstairs. The one downstairs has the changing area.

Definitely get a twin nursing pillow! I was able to get mine at a twin resale.

glbb35
02-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks for your reply's. I have written down 4 bouncy seats, at least another swing and 1 more exersaucer for sure. We have the gate thing for the inside as my BIL gave us his years ago, I guess we will be cleaning it up soon. We also have the breast feeding extra large pillow as a friend of a friend gave me hers. She swears by it too and says it is the best thing she ever bought. My doc has said he will do a c/s although I want to try vaginally first since I have done it two other times without any problems. So the idea of having a "station" on each floor makes a lot of sense. Thanks for that information. We have two big church/yard sales coming up in March and I jokingly say I just have to make it through the sales then I will be ready! But I am serious as well.

Seems so overwhelming now and a little scary. I am glad to know that you Gatorsmom, were in a the same type of situation as we are going into and you survived! Yahoo!

I really appreciate all the advise ladies and if you think of anything else please let me know.

B
DS 03 & 06 and Edd not soon enough!

Melaine
02-14-2009, 05:32 PM
We used our two bouncey seats, two exersaucers, two boppies, two playmats and two bumbo seats TONS but at different ages/stages, ykwim? I am big on selling anything the moment it has outlived it's usefulness, so we went from one to the other to keep down the clutter (ie by the time we were done with the playmats and boppys, it was on to the bumbos and exersaucers). We also had the twin pack 'n play which I loved. With twins you have several safe places to place them, even if only for a moment, and all those worked well for us at different stages. By all means, do your very best to breast feed them, but if you wind up bottlefeeding for any reason, I highly recommend these:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=14925619
I never wanted to bottle prop (heck, I never wanted to bottle feed, period) but my girls had to be burped several times through a feeding and this allowed me to keep feeding one, while burping the other.
The Eurobath tub was a lifesaver, too. And I recommend investing in a GREAT double stroller. There is nothing worse than struggling with multiple kiddos and dragging a useless piece of crap stroller while trying to grocery shop....

arhawgfan
02-17-2009, 09:00 AM
Melanie,

You shouldn't put so much pressure on breastfeeding. I was determined to bf my twin girls and did so for 2 weeks until my babies were starving & loosing serious weight (and they were small when born). The doctor said I HAD to pump & then add human milk fortifier to my milk in order for them to gain any weight. I did so for another 3-4 weeks, until my milk supply basically dried up (even with taking medication to produce more). I knew that I couldn't have my girls starve to death just to "be a good mother by breastfeeding". It wasn't worth the health.

I also had a friend who was extremely pressured into bfing. She never would use formula & her babies cried all the time because they were starving. Every time the grandparents had the babies they would feed them formula & guess what? They stopped crying!

It's not worth your babies health. I know its the best form of food for your newborn, but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

MBK

We used our two bouncey seats, two exersaucers, two boppies, two playmats and two bumbo seats TONS but at different ages/stages, ykwim? I am big on selling anything the moment it has outlived it's usefulness, so we went from one to the other to keep down the clutter (ie by the time we were done with the playmats and boppys, it was on to the bumbos and exersaucers). We also had the twin pack 'n play which I loved. With twins you have several safe places to place them, even if only for a moment, and all those worked well for us at different stages. By all means, do your very best to breast feed them, but if you wind up bottlefeeding for any reason, I highly recommend these:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=14925619
I never wanted to bottle prop (heck, I never wanted to bottle feed, period) but my girls had to be burped several times through a feeding and this allowed me to keep feeding one, while burping the other.
The Eurobath tub was a lifesaver, too. And I recommend investing in a GREAT double stroller. There is nothing worse than struggling with multiple kiddos and dragging a useless piece of crap stroller while trying to grocery shop....

Melaine
02-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Melanie,

You shouldn't put so much pressure on breastfeeding.

MBK

Huh? I don't even understand if you are saying I was putting pressure on the OP, on myself, or on the world in general....but all I said was "by all means breastfeed if you can" and then went on to share tips about bottlefeeding. My kiddos are 2 and a half now so this isn't really applicable to me anymore....:shrug:

AJP
02-17-2009, 05:31 PM
First off congrats! Our girls are 6 months and it's so much fun. Sleep was a commodity the first few months, but we're on a great routine now and I amaze myself on what I can accomplish alone now!
Lots of good advice from PP's. What helped us was keeping the bouncy seats on the 2nd floor, and having 2 swings on the 1st floor. We use the bouncy seats upstairs for feeding (when I'm doing it alone) and when I have to shower, bathe one baby etc. I would have loved having 2 more downstairs, but I wanted to keep things to a minimum (if that is possible with twins)! It helped to have a station downstairs for changing/napping in the beginning also since i had a c-section. Our pack n play had a bassinet feature and also a changing station attached to one side.
I also love my podee bottles IF you have to bottle feed ever, or if you are pumping. They are hands free bottles that are a lifesaver for me.
Just do what you have to to make life easiest for you!!!
Good luck.

Momof3Labs
02-17-2009, 11:30 PM
Melanie,

Double huh? If you read the thread, you'll see that the OP mentioned getting a twin nursing pillow. Melaine's post was simply in response to that. I'm sorry that bf'ing didn't work out for you and your friend, but that doesn't mean that it won't work for someone else.

caheinz
02-18-2009, 01:26 AM
Melanie,

Yet another: huh?

My twins were home with me for the first 4 months. They breastfed just fine, thank you, and only had an occasional bottle of EBM during that time (when I was out).

I'm just keeping up with them now that I'm back at work, but they still haven't used up my freezer stash...

And our ped has been thrilled with their growth and development.