PDA

View Full Version : New Mom-Still can't decide

aims74
02-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Hi all,
I have read a lot of the posts on here about stroller decisions, etc. and I still can't decide on which one to get.

We live in the suburbs on DC and I like to walk a lot-about 2 miles through the neighborhood per day. And, I go to the mall often. I am a new mom and due in June.

I was thinking last night, what do I need a stroller for? Going out walking, trips to the mall, and times when we may go to the zoo, park or a local fair.

So, I am leaning towards the baby city mini, the Inglesina Zippy or the Zooper Waltz or Hula.

Any suggestions? I want something that is lightweight, but a good quality stroller...and I think the child snack bar is a good thing to have, but am I totally off on that? It is why I was leaning away from the MacLaren.

I had thought about just getting a snap and go along with something like a MacLaren Triumph or Inglesina Swift. But, the child snack tray or nap bar seems kind of important.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Amy

AnnieW625
02-10-2009, 06:41 PM
I rec. Maclaren to everyone. We've had our Triumph as DD's main stroller since she was 3mos old and I got fed up with a used PP Pliko I had. We love that stroller, except I don't think it's very good for long walks; we opted for a jogger for that. We travel with our Triumph and are not afraid to gate check it. The only downside is that the Triumph only had a one position recline, where as the Quest, and the Techno have better reclines. I also love the fold on this thing!

We never had a snack bar with our daughter and we didn't miss it at all, but I think I read on this board that an after market company makes a snack bar that will work on Mac's so don't give up on MAC's just because of that!

I also tested out the Inglesina Zippy recently and liked it, but in the end it was just too plasticky for me. I thought the sturdiness of the MAC frame better. The one handed fold was nice, but it wasn't as compact as the MAC (you'll get highly addicted to that compact fold if you get one).

We ended up getting a used 2007 UppaBaby Vista off craigslist and it handles our 2 mile walks quite well (we had to ditch the jogger recently because DD hates the straps and became a houdini and figured out how to get out of them and stand up mid walk; never ever had this issue with the MAC or now the Vista). The basket is huge, it comes with a bassinett, takes a toddler board, and it is indeed a very well made stroller. It is heavy, but so far I think it's worth it.

Good luck!

salsah
02-10-2009, 07:07 PM
you might be fine with just one stroller but if your budget allows, you may like to have two strollers; one for walks around the neighborhood and one for the car.
lightweight and good quality means maclaren, imo. but of course that means making some sacrifices. for a newborn, you definitely need a full recline or a bassinet option, that is something that you can not sacrafice. i don't think that you can put a newborn in a triumph or a swift. maybe a quest or a techno which also have the adjustable leg rests.
the mini and zippy are nice. the zippy is a little more full-featured and it isn't tippy. great canopy and fold. comes w/ bumper bar, snack tray, foot muff, and a toddler step which will come in handy if you have more children. another option is the p3 or the switch. they are similar to the zippy. the switch is the same as the p3 but with a reversible seat. those are good choices for suburban lifestyles (constantly in and out of the car, used mostly on smooth surfaces). a little heavier but also nice, especially for long walks around the neighborhood, is the bjce. you'll love the fold and it isn't too big for everyday use in the car too.

AnnieW625
02-12-2009, 05:12 PM
i don't think that you can put a newborn in a triumph or a swift. maybe a quest or a techno which also have the adjustable leg rests.

The Triumph is good from three months, but the Quest and the Techno can be used from birth. The Quest still only has a three or four position recline so it won't be a full recline like the Techno. Not sure about the Swift. I do agree that the one downside of the MAC strollers is that they are tipppy when the baby/child isn't in them, but overall it's still hasn't made me be fed up with my stroller.

kate2128
02-12-2009, 06:11 PM
We live in the suburbs of DC, too! If your budget allows, I think you'll probably want something with bigger/air filled tires for walking around the neighborhood. Walking two miles through the neigborhood with a newborn in a Mac would be way too bumpy, I would think. I have a Mac Quest and I think they say suitable from 3 months because of the lack of full recline. I wouldn't want to put a newborn in it. I bought it as my lightweight stroller to replace my Maclaren Volo, but I'm actually wanting something a little more plush and reversible for my baby. I really don't like not being able to see her, since I have an Uppababy Vista as my main stroller. I'm looking at the Peg Perego Pliko Switch and the Uno and a few others. Just need to take my dh out to the store this weekend so I can make a decision!

For our first baby we lived in a very suburban area and had a jogger for walks around the neighborhood and a lightweight stroller for using when we went out. It was a great system for us.

alirebco
02-12-2009, 07:14 PM
In your situation, I would do the Baby Jogger City Mini. But, you might also want a snap no go for the mall and in your car.