PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! Please help me pick a stroller.

reikimama
02-11-2009, 03:40 PM
I have been researching strollers for days, and still can't decide what to go with. Here is our situation: I have a 3 month old, and a 4 years old. I need help deciding on a stroller that would best fit our needs:

Dh and I are both similar in height, so adjustable handle is not necessary
Will be using the stroller for trail walks, camping, hiking, beaches, sidewalks, as well as the city
Need to be able to attach a board for the older dd
Need to be maneuverable, easy to handle, stable, not too heavy
Decent size easily accessible basket
Doesn't need to fold super small, I have plenty of trunk space

So far I have looked at the BOB, MB and Bumbleride. I liked the handling and maneuverability of all these strollers. I don't like that the basket on the BOB is pretty much useless, and it also seems quite long. I liked the bumbleride the best I think. Does anyone own this stroller, any pros and cons I should know about? Are there any other AT strollers that I should look at? What kind of boards do people use with this type of strollers? I would prefer something that is easy to put on and take off. Does the addition of the board affect the stroller's handling?

Thanks so much for any help! :)

edurnemk
02-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Look at the Baby Jogger City Elite. I'm not sure if you can attach a toddler board, though, but their website lists all the available accessories.
I have the UPPAbaby Vista, it has foam wheels, not air, but handles pretty well on grass and snow, I haven't tried it on sand. They sell a toddler board, and pretty soon a rumble seat. The basket is huge!
Oh, and the Bugaboo Cameleon or the Frog, also fit your description but it's more pricey.

tnrnchick74
02-11-2009, 04:31 PM
I would also suggest the Uppababy Vista. I don't have one, but have several friends who do and it is a good compromise between a BOB

edurnemk
02-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Oh, another AT stroller that takes a toddler board is the Valco, and the Easy Walker

WatchingThemGrow
02-11-2009, 04:56 PM
How heavy is your 4 yo? I know toddler boards have a weight limit.

reikimama
02-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone! My 4 year old is 37 pounds, she is tall and skinny. She has a problem with her feet, and her legs hurt on long walks. We are getting her orthotics, hopefully that will help, but I'd like to have an option for her to hitch a ride if she needs to. What about letting her sit on the footrest, l read on some other threads that some moms do that?

I'll go to the store and check out the Uppa Baby Vista, and the baby jogger. I don't think there is any store around here where I can try out the Valco though. I heard it's not as easy to push as say the BOB.

As far as the ease of pushing and maneuverability goes, what is #1 AT stroller?

AnnieW625
02-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Definitely check out the Uppa Baby Vista, the basket is huge and if you aren't a jogger but walk a lot this stroller does well for walking. We've been using it for our nightly 2 mile + walks with DD since she refuses to use our jogger now (straps are tight on her) We just bought a used 07 and are very happy with it. We plan on getting a buggy board for our Vista once #2 comes. Check out the website for weight limits but I can't see a 4 yo not being able to use it. The new 09 models have a 50lb weight limit so if you ever need to push your #1 around it will work although be heavy.

reikimama
02-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Thank you so much everyone for great advise! I went to the stroller store yesterday and tried out the Uppa Baby Vista. I must say, both Dh and I loved it! Are there any negatives I should know about? Looks like this might be the stroller for us! Does anyone know if the 2008 model accepts the piggyback board? What about the rumble seat? Now I need to find a good deal on one. They are so expensive here in Canada - $899 with taxes for the 2009 model! Plus extra for the car seat adapter and the piggy back board. Is there any way to buy this without the bassinet for less? My younger dd is almost 4 months old, and I can't see us using the bassinet much.

edurnemk
02-13-2009, 12:28 AM
Thank you so much everyone for great advise! I went to the stroller store yesterday and tried out the Uppa Baby Vista. I must say, both Dh and I loved it! Are there any negatives I should know about? Looks like this might be the stroller for us! Does anyone know if the 2008 model accepts the piggyback board? What about the rumble seat? Now I need to find a good deal on one. They are so expensive here in Canada - $899 with taxes for the 2009 model! Plus extra for the car seat adapter and the piggy back board. Is there any way to buy this without the bassinet for less? My younger dd is almost 4 months old, and I can't see us using the bassinet much.

My only complaint is the lack of a fully upright seat position, but my DS is used to that now and will pull himself forward by the bumper bar to look out. I really enjoy looking at him and having him sit so high (we even use it instead of yucky restaurant highchairs since he sits at table level).

I know the rumble seat will fit the 2009, but will probably need and adapter for the 2008. The piggyback board does fit the 2008.

I used the bassinet for late night outings until DS was about 10 months old (I kept him beside me all the time or put it on the floor at friends' houses, so he wasn't at risk of climbing out), we walk everywhere, including nearby restaurants and friends' houses, so it was great to be able to lay him down to sleep in the bassinet, and walk there, have dinner, and walk back without moving him. But I can see how it would not be useful for a more suburban lifestyle. You'd probably need to call UPPAbaby and ask if they'll sell it to you without the bassinet.