PDA

View Full Version : Help me review my stroller stash :)

willow33
02-11-2009, 08:13 PM
I'm feeling the need to buy another stroller although I'm not entirely sure I really need one :)

I have two boys, ages 6 & almost 4 who won't be in a stroller anymore and I'm due with baby #3 in April.

This is what I have:

MBUD (2003 or 2004) - will try to sell it as don't need a double anymore
Sit 'n stand - hated this thing from day one and will also sell it
Really old Combi Perfect Match single stroller that will be sold at a yard sale in spring
Mac Triumph (older model maybe 04 or 05) but in decent shape - not sure if the newer Triumphs are better, etc...
Brand new Red Castle Whizz (no carrycot though)
Mac Easy Traveller for our Graco Safeseat

Do I need anything else? I guess I'm worried that if I decide to put the baby into a stroller without using the carseat that I can't use the Whizz because it doesn't lay flat enough.

Thoughts?

WatchingThemGrow
02-11-2009, 08:16 PM
How soon can you use the Whizz? It seems like in no time at all, they're fine to go into the Triumph...3 mos?

strollerqueen
02-12-2009, 02:57 AM
You need a reversible for the baby.

edurnemk
02-12-2009, 04:10 PM
I would get something with a flat recline for the first months. And I agree with Strollerqueen, reversible is better IMO. I'm not very familiar with the Whizz, but can't you purchase a carrycot for it? That way you don't have to get another stroller and can use the carrycot around the house, for overnights, etc.

In my case in particular I wouldn't have survived with just the car seat frame, because DS hated the being in the car seat (and it's not good for them to stay there too long).

Of course if you aren't planning on walking much with the baby the first 3 months, and just doing quick trips, you may be able to get by with your stash. But I, personally, would get the carrycot, or a stroller with full recline.

bubbaray
02-12-2009, 04:14 PM
If I were buying a new stroller now for a newborn, I'd get a Peg Perego Switch. Its a P3 that reverses. I love love love my P3 and making it reversible is the only thing I'd want to add.

strollerqueen
02-12-2009, 04:44 PM
ITA! It's a fabulous stroller!

AnnieW625
02-12-2009, 05:06 PM
I didn't have a reverseable stroller with #1 when she was an infant because I had a used Pliko P3 and most of the time I'd just recline the seat all the way and pull the canopy back (we really only used the stroller indoors) and it worked out okay. Financially I didn't want to or could spend the $400 plus dollars on a Venezia then, but wish I had been able to. We started using an 06 Mac Triumph at 3mos with #1 and we've been very happy with it. For #2 though I decided I wanted something with reversable handles and thought the P3 Switch was okay, but rather plasticky and for the same price or so ended up with a used Vista that I like so far (can't wait to use the bassinet with #2!).

willow33
02-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks everyone!! I would buy a carrycot for the Whizz, but they are no longer sold here in the US. I found one on craigslist, but I was the 2nd inquiry on it :(

I've been reading through all these threads and I really like the idea of the UPPAbaby Vista. It looks like I can still get a 2008 for a little cheaper than a 2009, but it's still so expensive. I checked craigslist and ebay and no luck. Anyone know the best place online to buy a vista either with a coupon code or cash back?

Also...since I'm in MA....do they sell strollers at the UPPAbaby factory/store in Rockland, MA? Would they be at a discount?

ETA: If you had to choose between the Peg Perego Switch and Uppababy Vista...which would you choose? I realize they are different, but I just checked out the Switch and it looks really nice too!!

kate2128
02-12-2009, 05:59 PM
I think they do sell stuff at the showroom, you could always call or email to make sure. They were super helpful to me when I was emailing them a bunch of questions before I bought my Vista. It's a great stroller. I love it! I bought the 2009 because it will take the rumbleseat to accommodate a toddler, which I need. I bought mine from Baby Earth using the live.com cashback of 8%. I know comfort 1st has 10% through live.com and every so often I see that CSNbaby has 13%.

edurnemk
02-13-2009, 12:34 AM
ETA: If you had to choose between the Peg Perego Switch and Uppababy Vista...which would you choose? I realize they are different, but I just checked out the Switch and it looks really nice too!!

For my current lifestyle, (Chicago, urban life) I'd stick with the Vista. But If I lived in a more suburban setting, definitely the Switch. (I'm trying to justify the need for a lighter and more indoorsy stroller, so I can get a Switch, LOL, I love my Vista but I would love to have them both!), Of course the Vista seems sturdier and has very few plastic parts in comparison, and it takes a rumble seat in addition to the board - not an issue for you if this is your last baby.

bubbaray
02-13-2009, 01:03 AM
Definitely the Switch. I'm a Peg girl. I just love love LOVE Pegs and their fabrics in particular. Don't be put off by it feeling "plasticky" -- its supposed to be that way, its part of the design/suspension. Makes the "ride" for the child very smooth.

GL!

heatherlynn
02-13-2009, 08:41 AM
Thanks everyone!! I would buy a carrycot for the Whizz, but they are no longer sold here in the US. I found one on craigslist, but I was the 2nd inquiry on it :(

I think there are a couple of people on Swap selling Whizz bassinets. You could post an ISO. Also, maybe try Mamabargains - they may still have some.

willow33
02-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Okay...one more question...I promise!

I found a carrycot to buy, but now I'm having doubts because I fell in love with the Vista. There is a huge $$ diff though between just buying the carrycot (about $75 shipped) or buying a new Vista ($550 for a 2008).

Thoughts? I like my Whizz (although I haven't actually used it yet) but is it much bigger than the Vista?

edurnemk
02-13-2009, 05:08 PM
I love my Vista, but I honestly think if you have the Whizz, it's overkill, because they're both the same kind of stroller. Although if you're set on getting the Vista, maybe you could sell the Whizz?

(I know this has absolutely nothing to do with this post or this board but I'm more of the green-living-not-buying-stuff-you-don't-really-need mindset, this video illustrates this concept very well: www.storyofstuff.com if you have 20 minutes to watch it.)