PDA

View Full Version : American made strollers or American Companies

Sugar Magnolia
02-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Dh and I were talking about which stroller to get for the new one and he asked me if there are any strollers made in America or any companies that are American owned.
I told him I can't think of any (maybe Graco is owned).
With the economy the way it is he wants to try and keep our money here.

Anyone know?

Carrots
02-12-2009, 10:56 AM
I know Uppababy is an American company. They are headquartered in MA, but I am not sure where the strollers are made. Here is their website: http://uppababy.com/about-us/our-goal.php

I also like to support US companies (especially small ones. I shop locally a lot).

salsah
02-12-2009, 01:04 PM
i might be wrong but i don't think that there are any strollers made in america. most of them are made in china (w/ only a few exceptions made in europe) there are some american companies that make nice strollers such as baby jogger, uppababy, and teutonia is now owned by an american company.

Piglet
02-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Here is an alternative - buy a used stroller of any type. You would be supporting a local person that might be in need of some money these days and saving some money yourself!

strollerqueen
02-12-2009, 02:21 PM
The only stroller made in America is the Berg Runabout.

strollerqueen
02-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Here it is: http://www.bergdesign.net/runabout.htm

Piglet
02-12-2009, 02:39 PM
The only stroller made in America is the Berg Runabout.

That looks handy for Octo-mom - at least she can buy American when it comes time for stroller shopping (ugghhhh)!

bubbaray
02-12-2009, 02:42 PM
I've seen those in Canada -- being used by what I presume to be daycares.

Sugar Magnolia
02-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks everyone! I was pretty sure there were no choices, but I wanted to make sure.

As for buying used, we live in a small Midwest town. There is nothing here used or new!

strollerqueen
02-12-2009, 03:28 PM
That looks handy for Octo-mom - at least she can buy American when it comes time for stroller shopping (ugghhhh)!

LOL! Wonder if they will donate, or who will? So far the donations I've heard of is one year of free nanny service, and build a bears with each child's name on them.

marge234
02-28-2009, 01:34 PM
Can't help with strollers but I've been looking for gear that's not made in China. Can't avoid it altogether but here are a couple of places to check:
http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/babygear.html
http://www.hoohobbers.com/

strollerqueen
02-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Cool links, thank you for posting them! In this global economic climate, it is hard to know where your dollars are going. For instance, Dorel Juevenile Group is an American company, but they have a sister company in Europe. They bought out the dutch brands Quinny and Maxi Cosi, and the French BebeConfort. But all of their strollers are made in China, LOL! Graco was bought out by Rubbermaid, who also bought out Teutonia, a German stroller company whose strollers are made in Poland. At least Mountain Buggy is easy. A NZ company who makes their wonderful strollers in NZ and employs NZ people and is unfortunately having big money problems.

marge234
02-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Is there some central location that lists where different strollers are made? There are so many choices and narrowing down to NZ, Europe, Canada would make my surfing a lot easier.

PeppyParents
02-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Hi,

UPPAbaby, Baby Jogger, BOB, and Bumbleride are all American-owned stroller companies that do manufacture overseas.

Their net profits stay in the US, and they pay American workers for the administrative operations, which I think is about the best one can realistically do with a stroller purchase (i.e., vs purchasing from a non-USA manufacturer that also manufactures elsewhere, or an international company with a US arm).

Now, I believe there are plenty of other good companies with great products regardless of where they are based, but if trying to support an American company is a goal, then the list gets pretty short!

MontrealMum
02-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Not strictly a stroller, but Chariot trailers/carriers are Canadian owned and made in Alberta :canada:

kijip
02-28-2009, 10:14 PM
As for buying used, we live in a small Midwest town. There is nothing here used or new!

You can buy used strollers online through swap groups and the like. I have bought two strollers that way and it worked out really well.

strollerqueen
03-01-2009, 04:11 AM
Is there some central location that lists where different strollers are made? There are so many choices and narrowing down to NZ, Europe, Canada would make my surfing a lot easier.

The list of strollers NOT made in Asia is very short. You've seen a few mentioned here. There is also Emmaljunga in Sweden, Stokke and Brio, also in Scandinavia, (Brio is having big money problems) the higher end models of Peg Perego and Inglesina are made in Italy (the lower end models are made in China), there are a couple of German companies that make big prams,like Gesslein and Hartan, but they are not sold over here. I definitely have a soft spot in my heart for Mountain Buggy. They have been really struggling to stay in NZ and not move to China. But labor and production costs are so much higher in the West that they may be forced to go that route. So sad. They were even featured on the NZ postal stamps as an "icon" of that country.

Sugar Magnolia
03-01-2009, 12:26 PM
We have a Chariot that we LOVE. And a MBUD. I am thinking I may just buy new skins for the MB and an infant sling for the Chariot.

I really don't *need* anything new.

Thanks for everyones advice!

meme9300
03-02-2009, 01:36 PM
I'd like to put in a recommendation for HOOHOBBERS!! Their products are awesome. They don't make strollers but honestly all of the items I have of that brand are stellar in both quality and design. I especially loved their infant rocker for my LO...it really helped his reflux. PLUS...all of their stuff folds up REALLY SMALL when you are done.

www.hoohobbers.com

MamaBear
03-02-2009, 02:02 PM
The list of strollers NOT made in Asia is very short. You've seen a few mentioned here. There is also Emmaljunga in Sweden, Stokke and Brio, also in Scandinavia, (Brio is having big money problems) the higher end models of Peg Perego and Inglesina are made in Italy (the lower end models are made in China), there are a couple of German companies that make big prams,like Gesslein and Hartan, but they are not sold over here. I definitely have a soft spot in my heart for Mountain Buggy. They have been really struggling to stay in NZ and not move to China. But labor and production costs are so much higher in the West that they may be forced to go that route. So sad. They were even featured on the NZ postal stamps as an "icon" of that country.

I believe the Odder Vognen (http://www.oddervognen.dk/) prams are still made in Denmark. Huge but gorgeous! Have a nifty toddler seat option, too. Alas, I've seen them only in Denmark.

AnnieW625
03-02-2009, 02:28 PM
As of 2006 Graco snugrides, and Evenflo Triumph 5 seat we have were both made in the USA of imported parts (same as Britax). Not too sure if this is still the same, but I thought I did see something last week that said the Evenflo seats are still made in the USA; it might have been the product infor page for the Triumph Advance on the BRUS or Traget webpage. The seats they were selling in the store were marked on the box Made in China though or the box was marked incorrectly a couple of months back. I guess during this poor economy I am really trying to keep my $$$ in the USA or with American companies at least.