PDA

View Full Version : boys power outdoor ride-on toy

jrn90
02-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Finally got DS to let us sell his toddler fire-engine bed, in exchange promised him a powered ride on toy for the spring- any suggestions? he is 4 - 43 inches tall, 40 lbs- any suggestions would be appreciated- he has his eye on the Fisher Price one that turns into a dinosaur? anyone have this? thanks

kboyle
02-15-2009, 03:46 PM
our garage is like a Power Wheel parking lot in the summer, lol. we have 3 vehicles & 2 atvs. since he's already 4, i'd suggest getting one of the 2-seater type like the Escalades or one of the Jeeps, i think they also have an F150 that's a 2seater (they also make a 1 seater F150). that way he can play/ride it for a longer time, plus if you have friends over it's much easier to share since they can both ride.

we have:
Power Wheel Grave Digger Monster Truck, 2 seater, holds 150lbs (most 1-seaters only hold 65lbs or so)
Step 2 Bee (looks like a VW Bug), 1 seater
Power Wheels Big Jake Dump Truck, 1 seater, our slowest power wheel
Kawasaki & Spiderman atv/quads...made for the 3 and under crowd

Grave digger is our most used PW, even the 10/12yos that come over love to drive it around, lol.

We also have 'real' 4-wheelers so i'm sure our power wheels will be outgrown soon, since we have a 50cc 4 wheeler that the boys can drive & a 50cc dirt bike w/ training wheels that we're introducing this summer. my SIL has gotten Charlie & Max a power wheel at their 3rd bdays, so i'm sure we'll have another one next year for Ernie. when people come over in the summer they laugh because we have so many ride-ons parked in the garage (along with mine & Dh's 4wheelers, plus his tractor) that we have no room for my car to park :( luckily we dh parks them all in the shed & the back of our 5th wheel camper in the winter that i can park in the garage, if not, those things would be on craigslist asap!

GraceH
02-18-2009, 12:54 AM
fwiw - they were clearencing a bunch of power ride ons at Kmart when I was there the other day - just an FYI

gatorsmom
02-18-2009, 01:28 AM
Our boys have the John Deere Gator and Jeep Hurricane. I'm pretty sure he got the Jeep Hurricane from TRU, at least I"ve seen them there. The boys got it for their birthdays last summer, and Gator is about 45#s right now. The JDGator is nice in that it has an area on the back to carry stuff. I think they are both 2 seaters.

I will say, though, that DH took the high gear out of them to make them slower. It only drives in low gear now, and I feel MUCH safer with that. What they don't know, won't hurt them, kwim?

MizMojoLaveau
02-21-2009, 09:52 AM
Been lurking for so long but your question brounght me out! I did pretty extensive research on this just before Christmas before settling on the Peg Perego Polaris Sportsman X2 (can have 2 riders). We needed something larger than the peg perego john deere etractor we had as DS was growing out of it (after getting at least 2 good years of use). For the little extra money of this model, you get a high weight limit (esp since your DS is already 40 lbs.) and it is bigger for taller kiddos. Though we haven't used it for 2 riders (except DS + small dog), it would be capable. I am really a fan of the peg perego ride ons. Can't speak to their CS, as I have not had need to call them for a thing! I was worried about the TRex one with all the extra moving parts to break (I saw it IRL and think it's smaller, too).