PDA

View Full Version : Flu :(- update...maybe not!

SnuggleBuggles
02-14-2009, 12:33 AM
Update- Possibly never mind. He did wake up a few times last night but maybe he was just cold?? We did give him more Motrin at 5am and he woke up at 8ish. He's as happy as can be and looks fine. I guess we'll have to see what happens at 11-12 when the Motrin wears off.

Ds1 came down with a fever and fatigue 8 days ago. It wasn' getting better (well, it did slightly but then got worse again) so I finally took him to the Dr.. Dx? Flu. He *got* the flu mist but I know that even with the vax he could still catch it. Luckily his case was pretty mild. We don't have the official flu diagnosis because he also had an ear infection and a possible case of strep throat. We opted not to do the culture for the flu but I kind of wish we had now.

It's a bit after bedtime now for ds2 (14m old). He was happy and wonderful all day today. However, he just woke up about 30 minutes ago screaming. He looks like he is coming down with something. :( I did not get the flu shot for him...and am kicking myself now. I debated long and hard about it and I don't know what made me not get it. I think it just got bumped because of the gazillion other shots he needed at the time plus he was sick for a few weeks with a stomach bug and ear infection. It just seemed like it would be too much for his little system. Plus, I think it is Japan that only vaccinates school aged kids for the flu and that is really effective at protecting the babies and elderly. I could be imagining that study though. Oh, and there was the whole gamble on whether this year's vax would be a match for the strain. Dh was so sick last year with the flu and he had the vax so I am just not convinced on the shot.

He could have strep throat or the flu. Either way he seemed miserable. He's quiet now but he seemed restless when I put him back down.

I still don't know if I made the right choice on the flu shot. I just wish the poor baby felt better. :(

Beth

tylersmama
02-14-2009, 01:50 AM
Aw, poor little guys. I hope they're feeling better soon. I had the flu (the REAL flu, cultured and confirmed, that is) exactly once, and it was the most miserable disease ever. I was a grad assistant at the time, and our team doctor banned me from work for two weeks. I remember going to blockbuster to get a bunch of movies to watch, but being too miserable to be able to concentrate on the tv. Yuck. And, if it makes you feel better, the one and only time I had the flu was the year I got the flu shot.

:hug: to your little guys!

SnuggleBuggles
02-14-2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks, Gaye. :) Did Tyler's illness turn out to be anything? I think you said he had a fever going on too recently.

Beth

tylersmama
02-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Nope, never really amounted to anything. Well, we've both been kind of snotty and coughing since oh, Christmas, but other than that, nada. Weird, huh?