PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend a good rocker/glider that reclines

L'sMommy
02-15-2009, 09:07 AM
I had no idea what to get before DS was born so right now we have a plain rocking chair which belonged to DS's great-great grandmother. DS is a month old and gets up every 30 minutes in the middle of the night. DH doesn't want to keep him in our room in the PNP so the baby sleeps in the crib. He has no problem going to sleep in the crib but he wakes up every 30 minutes for different reasons. SO, I need to get a rocker/glider that reclines so I can catch a snooze in there in the middle of the night so I'm not constantly going from our room back to the nursery to tend to him. Please give me your suggestions. I know this will be a pricey purchase so I would prefer something that can be used as regular furniture down the road.

WatchingThemGrow
02-15-2009, 09:16 AM
We have a multiposition Dutailier that reclines, rocks, etc. and it is fabulous. When we were picking it out, we also saw their living room line -the AvantGlide models which seem like they would transition into other rooms. Ours will live in the kids' rooms for many years through 3 kids, so we didn't plan on moving it into other living areas or get the AvantGlide models. Highly recommend the Dutailier brand though. Dreamily comfortable.

joyful mommy
02-15-2009, 12:38 PM
Ditto on the Dutalier multi-position glider/recliner. We love ours and so do friends who visit with their little ones! One of my friends long lamented not getting one when her first was born and especially liked to glide in ours.

We also purchased the gliding ottoman with nursing stool attachment (can't recall the correct name of that) -- basically it slides out into a little incline and locks the ottoman in place. Particularly if you'll be catching winks in the glider you will appreciate the ottoman accessory.

Perhaps DH would consider allowing the baby in for just a few months until things settle down. Ours were each in our room for 4-6 months then moved into the nursery and crib. Just a thought. I recommend the glider either way. It's wonderful for feeding, sleeping, soothing, reading books together (for a long time!), and as they grow they'll play in it too (especially a DS). :-)

prego08
02-16-2009, 01:55 AM
We were very close to getting a "Best Chair" - they have many models that both glide and recline...and they look like regular chairs that aren't necessarily nursing chairs! A good chairs is definitely worth the money!

Here's their site - I think they sell through local baby stores: http://www.bestchairs.com/bcpublic/productCatalog.do?catalogType=JU&option=category&selectedCategory=RC

We ended up getting a great deal on the Luca glider by Monte, so we went with that. Great glider, but doesn't recline.

Good luck!

hblock72
02-17-2009, 07:54 PM
I'm also looking for a Dutwiler glider for the nursey I'm in the process of setting up. Wife and I found one we like at BRU. Just wondering if they can be found cheaper elsewhere? Thanks.

joyful mommy
02-17-2009, 09:24 PM
Check greatbeginningsonline.com You may find a better deal there. We've found their CS and shipping to be very good and timely. Check for coupon codes first too -- check around. Also compare shipping. Should be free shipping at GB online but probably is at other places as well. Not sure where you're located, but their brick and mortar location has lots of gliders and other furniture for babies and kids to choose from. You could pick it out there and still have it shipped.

We purchased the multiposition recliner dutalier model and the matching nursing gliding ottoman. Both have withstood a lot of wear from our two DSs. This set will probably eventually move to another bedroom or to our family room (matches furniture OK there) in the future but we're not ready to move it out of their room yet.

Good luck.

vejemom
02-20-2009, 08:51 PM
We have the glider recliner from Poshtots. It was pretty pricey, but is insanely comfortable. It is totally upholstered like a regular chair, so depending on the fabric you choose it could be used as a living room chair later down the line. The recline mechanism is hidden between the cushion and the arm. THe only complaint I have is that I had hoped it would glide while reclined, but I don't think any of them actually do that. DH is really into modern design and wasn't thrilled with the design at first. After he fell asleep in it one night, he totally changed his tune and now calls it the "best thing we've bought for the baby."

WatchingThemGrow
02-20-2009, 10:32 PM
We have the glider recliner from Poshtots. ...THe only complaint I have is that I had hoped it would glide while reclined, but I don't think any of them actually do that.

Our Dutailier does glide while reclined. It doesn't glide while locked (obviously), but while reclined, yes.

The ottoman does not glide when the nursing stool is pulled out, and that is the only way to lock it.

Both DC and I (5 mos pg) can all sit in the model we have because it is so big. They're ON me, but there is room for them. It is great to be able to read to them in it.

Highly recommend the PBK touch lamp as a complimentary piece. Very convenient.