PDA

View Full Version : Rocker versus glider

Mommy_Mea
02-16-2009, 03:04 PM
I am in the process of furnishing my nursery, and just was offered a very nice rocker. It is just like an armchair, fully upholstered, just with a rocker on the bottom.

I had been looking for a glider, based on the assumption that that movement was better.

From experienced Moms out there - does it matter? Is a glider really better than a rocking chair? Or do you just want something comfortable that can move?

Thanks!

hellokitty1
02-16-2009, 03:48 PM
I definitely think a glider is better than a rocker if movement is important to you. A rocker tends to take way more effort than a glider and a glider tends to just glide front and back rather than leaning like a rocker.

JMHO.

Gena
02-16-2009, 08:19 PM
I think it's a matter of personal opinion. Many people love their gliders and others have rockers they adore.

We had my great-grandmother's rocker in the nursery and I would not have traded it for anything. It's very comfortable, rocks smoothly, and takes no more effort than my friends' gliders. It's still in my son's room and he likes to sit and read in it. Plus I love the fact that my son is the fifth generation to rock in it.

gobadgers
02-16-2009, 08:23 PM
I was worried about pinched fingers and toes under rockers, especially when child #2 and/or #3 come along. I suppose its possible to get a pinched finger in a glider too though, and since then we've gotten a couple rocking toys anyway...

C99
02-16-2009, 11:09 PM
I've had an upholstered rocker since DS1 was born and we love it! We had a glider briefly as well after DS2 was born, but the rocker is way more comfortable and the motion's been enough to get our 3 kids to sleep, so I am happy with it.

We've never had anyone get their fingers/toes pinched on the rocker.

Mommy_Mea
02-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Thanks everyone! I went and "test drove" the rocker last night to see how easy the motion was, and it was easy enough. And I love the way it looks, and it was very comfortable, so I think I am sold on the free rocker!

waite02
05-07-2009, 12:32 PM
I've been agonizing over the same debate. I hope I can bring this back to the front and possibly get a followup question answered. I have the rocking chair that my mother rocked me. And she has offered to have it fully restored. It doesn't seem like anyone uses them anymore, so I'd really like to hear more from people who are currently using them. And my followup question then becomes, what did you do with your feet? Did you have any sort of foot stool or nursing stool or ottoman? I don't understand why you can't buy a rocking footstool that would be so perfect but there doesn't seem to be much of a market for such an item. So Any information would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.