PDA

View Full Version : Diapers for 5yr old?

debbo
02-16-2009, 05:08 PM
This may not be the right forum for this, but I need some help. My son turned 5 in Dec and still soaks his diaper at night. He's all potty trained otherwise, but no progress on the night thing. We've been setting a "pee timer" every hour when we're at home so he's been going regularly during the day, which is a new thing, and that hasn't helped either. He's out of the size 5 overnights. What else can I buy for him. He's about 40lbs and the Goodnights won't work since he's soaking wet in the morning. Also, will this resolve itself or is there something else I can be doing?

Thanks!

MaiseyDog
02-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Can't help with the "will it resolve itself" part as I haven't gotten there yet, but I do know that Huggies Overnights goes up to size 6. I have heard they are hard to find, but they are out there.

http://www.amazon.com/Huggies-Overnites-Diapers-23-Count-Packages/dp/B001G8YSHQ/ref=pd_bbs_5?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1234819048&sr=8-5

liz
02-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Hang in there. My son is also 5, and still has occasional nighttime "accidents" . He uses the goodnights, and they seem to work for him fine. Make sure your son goes to the bathroom right before bed, and limit fluids before bed (i'm sure you already know this). I used to check my son's sleep diaper after the last bathroom trip, because he would pull it up, and sometimes the top edge of the diaper would be folded under and he would sometimes leak. But most important of all, he will outgrow it. My pediatrician told me he doesn't even bring up the topic of bedtime wetting until the child still does it after 6 years of age. He explained that the bladder may be still too immature at this age, so the sensation of "waking up to go pee" may take a liitle while longer to happen. It also doesn't help that my son sleeps like the dead (seriously, he has fallen out of bed at night while sleeping, and hasn't moved a muscle). good luck

aa2mama
02-16-2009, 05:45 PM
We still have leaks occasionally, but we have found UnderJams to be more absorbent than Goodnights or Pull-Ups.

emschwar
02-16-2009, 05:48 PM
We use nighttime pullups or underjams, which ever is cheaper :)

Melanie
02-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Have you tried a chiropractor? I've known people who've had success with that for night-wetting.

Pennylane
02-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Have you tried Diaper Doubles? It is like a maxi pad for children and fits right inside the diaper or pullup. They sell them at Food Lion where I live.

Ann

jamesmom
02-16-2009, 06:02 PM
DS uses either Underjams or Huggies Overnights.

eska
02-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Just asked our pediatrician about this, and he said that 25% of 5 year old still wet themselves at night, and that's perfectly normal. I've heard there are size 6 Huggies at Walmart. Also, instead of Diaper Doublers, I bought the cheapest sanitary pads for women and put them inside the diaper. They were about $3 for a pack of 20, the Diaper Doublers were quite a bit more and looked pretty much the same.

HTH

Esther

kbud
02-16-2009, 07:22 PM
My 5 year old dd is still soaked in the morning as well. For now she still fits in the pull ups and most nights they hold up. I was using the diaper doublers from Publix but they aren't carrying them anymore. I can't find the Huggies overnight pull ups in a 5T size. I suspect we'll be in the same boat soon since she is almost outgrowing the pullups. The maxi pads are a good idea. I'm glad to hear the underjams absorb more. Our Dr. wasn't concerned about it either. Good luck.

Indianamom2
02-16-2009, 07:38 PM
I have a very tall (45+ inch) and thus heavy (43lb) 4.5 year old daughter in the same boat.

We have been using the smallest size of Pampers Underjams (I think they go up to 65 lbs. in the small size) with good success. Every once in a while, she leaks, but it's rare. (We have had fabulous luck with every line of Pampers, for what it's worth.)

Hope that helps. They are around $10 a pack (maybe 27 in the small size) at Walmart.

Christina

kellij
02-16-2009, 08:26 PM
My son that is 4 has the same thing going on. We use the size 6 pull ups with Diego on them. They are 40 lbs and up. We pretty much try to limit the drinks within a couple of hours of bed time, then we have him go to the potty right before he falls asleep. Also, it really helps if they wake up in the middle of the night to have them potty, even if they don't think they need to. Otherwise, we're just hoping it will kick in! :)

debbo
02-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. Nice to know we're in good company! I didn't know about Underjams. I'll have to check into that. I know we always used the nighttime Pull-Ups since the other ones didn't hold enough. The size 5 Overnights seem to hold enough but I'll have to find the size 6 since the 5's are so tight now. The Pull-Ups were nice because he could put them on himself. Now with the Overnights we have to put them on and if we make him go again before sleeping time we have to put it back on. We do make him go before bedtime and he doesn't drink before bedtime really. I thought making him go all day long would help but he's still consistently soaked EVERY night. Oh well...this too shall pass, right?

Anyway, thanks everyone!

mykidsmom
02-16-2009, 11:40 PM
my 4 yr old wears pull ups at night and I found that when she was soaked in the morning it was because she made her morning pee in the pull up rather then getting up to use the bathroom. Maybe your son is "soaked" because he is making his big first pee of the day in his diaper.

belovedgandp
02-16-2009, 11:43 PM
My 5 year old is in the same boat. He does have 5-7 days between wet nights.

We do regular diapers - Huggies size 6 from Costco. He hasn't leaked out of those for months.

It can be a pain when he does get up in the middle of the night (about every third night). He can take his diaper off, but can't get it back on. Fortunately, he wakes DH.

all together ooky
02-17-2009, 12:15 AM
We use Pampers Underjams. But just recently she's been getting up to go potty in the night and waking up in the morning dry. She just turned 5.

urquie
02-17-2009, 02:23 AM
Also, it really helps if they wake up in the middle of the night to have them potty, even if they don't think they need to. :)
:yeahthat:

we take 4 3/4 yr old dd potty every night, right before we go to bed. she's always groggy, pees a lot and rarely remembers anything the next day.