PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone run into this problem before?

rgavelis
02-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Went to the mall play area today so that my kid could run around because it's still a little cold outside. He's having a good time, making friends and being good (as much as a 2 YO can be good). Anyway, a little girl comes up to him and wants to sit in the same play ambulance that he is. I tell him that he needs to move over and share with her. When he doesn't move fast enough, she gets mad, takes his hand and then proceeds to use it to hit herself in the face. She then runs off to her mom to tell her that my son hit her. Her mom was too busy on the cell phone to notice and the little girl walks off to another car in the play area. I was pretty furious by the whole thing because I knew she was completely lying.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation and what did you do?

npace19147
02-16-2009, 06:50 PM
I feel kind of sorry for that little girl, it sounds like she's acting out trying to get some attention. I haven't been in that situation but if I were and the mom actually got up to intervene I would explain what I saw happened and then remove ourselves from the situation if necessary to defuse things.

MamaMolly
02-16-2009, 06:54 PM
:eek: poor kid. I imagine mom is often too busy on the phone, and behavior such as this is a result. I think I'd keep your DC far away from her, and if she comes up I'd move my DC away from her. You don't want your child to start copying that kind of behavior!

I wonder what her mom would have said if she'd clued in? Weird!

jacksmomtobe
02-17-2009, 12:05 AM
What an unbelievable situation! You must have been a bit shocked when it happened. I probably would have just left the area to avoid a scene or definitely kept my child away from her. I know not fair since your child was not the one who caused the problem. I really developed a dislike of those type of play areas because there always seemed to be so many people not watching their kids and what they were doing. And of course those kids were the ones doing things they shouldn't be doing.

deborah_r
02-17-2009, 03:07 AM
That is bizarre. I guess I would have just prepared myself to tell the mom what really happened if she came over.

Between this and Liz's post about mall play area dramatics, I am happy we spend hardly any time at the mall. Mall play areas seem to bring out The Crazy!

JTsMom
02-17-2009, 08:52 AM
I feel kind of sorry for that little girl, it sounds like she's acting out trying to get some attention. I haven't been in that situation but if I were and the mom actually got up to intervene I would explain what I saw happened and then remove ourselves from the situation if necessary to defuse things.
:yeahthat: It strikes me as a sign that she's really desperate for some attention or something. I'm sorry you guys had to deal with that. I have no idea what I would have done- probably picked my jaw up off the floor and left! There's something about those play areas!

Melanie
02-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Uh no, that's a bit strange. I'm glad you were watching!

hillview
02-17-2009, 12:17 PM
That sounds like an older sibling thing. I remember my sister saying I had hit her when I hadn't. It get attention and often a reaction.
/hillary

DrSally
02-17-2009, 12:43 PM
weird. If her mom was paying attention, she prob knew that her DD does this. I would explain it to my DC as he would prob be totally confused and upset.