PDA

View Full Version : Would you go? Update- I'm going!!!

gatorsmom
02-17-2009, 01:32 AM
Just wanted to thank everyone here for the support. I'm not sure i'd be going if you hadn't all convinced me. My dad and I are going to Las Vegas in a few weeks and will be staying at the Bellagio!!! We weren't able to use DH's 3-free-nights deal but my dad loves to gamble has an account that the Bellagio's Reservation manager looked at and was willing to comp us the room for 3 nights! Woo hoo! I'm so excited. Mommy's getting some free-time, mommy's getting some free time! You know, the anticipation of the trip will probably be just as much fun as the trip itself.

thx again!

----------------------------------------------------------

So, I"ve been complaining that I really need some alone time. DH has been traveling ALOT and leaving me with the kids. And don't get me wrong, I love my family and wouldn't change a thing. Also, I know this time in my life is just a passing moment. The kids will be in school in a few years and I"ll have plenty of me time then. But at the moment, I"m feeling burnt out and I think I would be a better mother and wife if I had a little me time.

DH is all for this. I think he sees how tightly wound I've become. He's encouraged me to take a little trip somewhere. I had planned on visiting a friend in another city for a few days (she doesn't have children) but due to work and some other things she says I can't come visit til August. Then yesterday, DH handed me a brochure from the Bellagio in Las Vegas for a free, 3-night stay there. I have frequent flyer miles from my working days and so the trip would be pretty inexpensive except for any money I spend there. I"m not a gambler- just don't feel the urge at all- so I'd be going for the shopping and food and sightseeing. He would stay home with the kids and get our part time nanny to help him (she would take care of the babies) maybe an extra day while I"m gone. So, I think i"d feel safe with the 2 of them taking care of the kids.

Would you go alone? I thought about asking my dad. Since my mom died, he loves to travel (especially to Las Vegas) and really enjoys going with others. He'd probably even get his own room. But it would be nice eating with someone else while I'm there (I enjoy sightseeing alone but hate eating alone). I love spending time with my dad- he's got a great, Bob Hope-type sense of humor and is a very positive person. Or, I could ask some other girlfriends although I think I'd really like to have the freedom of being alone. Or with my dad. Especially since I don't see him as often as I like.

What would you do? It's great to daydream about this but I'm afraid I'd end up sitting in a hotel wondering what the heck I"m doing so far from my family and being afraid something would happen to the children.

IDcam
02-17-2009, 01:39 AM
Sounds like you'll have a great time with your dad. I say go for it. I don't think you'll feel as guilty leaving your loved ones to spend time with someone else you love. :)

tiapam
02-17-2009, 01:40 AM
As long as that is somewhere you want to go, I would go with your dad. I doubt you will regret spending this time with him. And you could probably split up with him for a few alone hours (spa??) more easily than with girlfriends. HTH.

kransden
02-17-2009, 01:46 AM
What date are we going? :D
Seriously, go and have a great time. Take your dad, or just go by yourself. I have a friend that took me to Vegas and there is so much to see there, it's a great place to be by yourself. Be wicked and order room service ;).

tylersmama
02-17-2009, 03:14 AM
Go! Take your dad, or even by yourself. I'm not a big gambler, but there's a lot of fun stuff you can do there without gambling. I'm sure the Bellagio has an awesome pool area if the weather is warm enough and it would be totally relaxing (and cheap!) just to lay in the sun by the pool. There are lots of sightseeing excursions you can do from Vegas, too...Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, etc. Or as mentioned, just hang out, order room service, and treat yourself to some spa treatments!

jgenie
02-17-2009, 05:16 AM
I'm so jealous! Go, and enjoy yourself for all of us that wish we could go! Take your Dad with you - you'll enjoy having the company and he'll understand if feel like vegging a bit on your own.

dhano923
02-17-2009, 05:23 AM
Id' either go by myself or go with someone. I like traveling alone. Last month, I took a week off from work and went to Malaysia to visit some family. Kids stayed home with DH and I had one of the best vacations ever alone.

veronica
02-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Go-your post sounds like my situation. DH has a week off coming soon and has encourage me to go with my mom and spend the week at a beach in Fla. I probably won't do it, since we don't have a spare dime but your trip sounds fantastic and your father sounds great to go with. your dad would likely love to spend time with his daughter as well!

mytwosons
02-17-2009, 07:31 AM
Book it!

Lisa, I haven't read the other replies, but go back and read your post. To me, it's quite clear what you want to do.

I didn't get a chance to read more than the start of your other post, but I certainly NEEDED time alone. Every Sunday you could find me scoping out the local Marshall's and/or TJMaxx and/or Target. It wasn't about anything more than being by myself and not having to pay attention to anyone or what they were saying. You so deserve and need that.

Enjoy your trip!

wellyes
02-17-2009, 07:49 AM
Go go go & NO guilt! I think this trip will be a great thing for you. And your dad.

And I want to say it's very nice of your DH to set this up for you. My husband has a theory that it's the mom's primary instinct to put the kids first, and the dad's to put the family's first......... in other words, to make sure the marriage & his wife's mental health don't suffer from her urge to put the children's needs ahead of her own all the time. That obviously doesn't apply to all famlies, but I think there is a gem of truth to it. And I also think all the psychological evidence points to having some "me" time once in a while absolutely makes you a better parent.

Vegas WHOO!

Ceepa
02-17-2009, 07:51 AM
I probably wouldn't go to Vegas by myself for three days because I would start to think about DH and DC too much in my downtime, but I would totally go with my dad! As an adult I tagged along on a couple of my dad's business trips. We had so much fun. I think he really appreciated the company and I loved having some time with my dad since he's getting older.

maestramommy
02-17-2009, 08:10 AM
Oh I would! I'm not a gambler either, but with the sightseeing and eating, it'd be a real treat. And sleeping in a nice hotel too! My only qualm would be leaving Dh behind because in our case he works pretty hard too. But if he had something lined up for himself before or after then I'd be out the door!

I probably would NOT go with my dad. Not unless I could bring my mom along. I'd rather go with a GF or alone.

LBW
02-17-2009, 08:38 AM
I wouldn't go on the specific trip you describe b/c Las Vegas isn't my thing. BUT, I would go away on my own. So, if you're interested in LV, then GO! A long weekend is no time at all.

In January I spent a week in another state taking a weaving class. It was heaven. Five days off from the house, dogs, kids, husband, and work. A couple of friends had told me a week was too long, but it wasn't at all. I probably could have been away two weeks before I really started to miss everyone enough to interfere with my fun.

Mamma2004
02-17-2009, 08:39 AM
Lisa, it sounds like the ideal situation so please GO and enjoy time without responsibilities! It would be such a special trip to share with your dad; I don't think you would regret it for a moment.

Let us know what you decide - I am excited for you!

KrisM
02-17-2009, 08:42 AM
Even though Las Vegas isn't my thing, I'd still go. I'd probably go alone, just because I crave some time for just myself and I don't want to share :). But, I travelled a lot when I worked and it was usually by myself so I am quite comfortable doing things and eating at nice places alone.

Go. Either alone or with your dad. Either way will be a great time! How awesome of your DH!

ahrimie
02-17-2009, 08:46 AM
Yeah, I'd totally go with your dad!!! Or at least some girlfriends. Sounds like your family will be well taken care of while you're away so I wouldn't worry and let your hair loose a bit. I'm feeling a bit frazzled lately too and wondering what I can do to get recharged too.

WatchingThemGrow
02-17-2009, 08:51 AM
My friend with kids 6,4 and twin 2yo's just went away two weeks ago. She was SO smiley and well-rested when I saw her after the trip. You KNOW it felt GREAT to her to spend some time away and with her parents. We always want to be better mothers, and what more could help???

Two more things to convince you 1) Fashion Show Mall (http://www.thefashionshow.com/html/events.asp) with live fashion shows all day long (I think this is something YOU, in particular, would enjoy, right?)
and 2) TWO Zappos Outlets (http://www.zappos.com/lv_outlet.zhtml) right there in Vegas (this IS your thing, right?)

Can we help you book your flights?

JTsMom
02-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Vegas isn't my thing, so I might choose something else, but I 150% agree that it's important to take time for yourself, in whatever form it works for you.

Before DH started his current job with the insane commute, I used to take a few hours every Wednesday to go out and do whatever- scrapbook, shop, read, whatever I wanted, as long as it wasn't "work" related- no shopping for household supplies, no returning things, etc. DH did the same. It made us both so much more relaxed, and gave us a lot more patience. I would love to start that up again.

ILoveLucy
02-17-2009, 09:06 AM
What a sweet husband. Go, take your dad, and have a great trip. Not only do you need this, you will always enjoy the memories you'll make with your dad doing something one-on-one like this.

3blackcats
02-17-2009, 09:14 AM
I think it sounds like a great opportunity. I would love to go with my dad! But then, I'm pretty much a carbon copy of my dad :)

hellokitty
02-17-2009, 09:17 AM
I think that either way, alone or with your dad, it will be nice for you to get away! Definitely take advantage of your DH's offer!

deenass
02-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Don't miss the opportunity to spend quality adult time with your dad - you will never regret it!

Years ago, DH wanted to drive 1/2 across the country for a car convention, I didn't have any vacation time at work and really didn't want him to drive that far alone. He ended up asking his mom to go with him - they had a blast. She died quite suddenly a few months after the trip. HE was SO grateful to have spent that time with her.

If you feel like your family will be well taken care of (and it sounds like they will be) take some time for yourself, re-group (enjoy a spa treatment or two!) You will be amazed at how good it feels to come home to them.

SnuggleBuggles
02-17-2009, 10:08 AM
I didn't read the replies but I would go in a heartbeat. As soon as ds2 is weaned I am headed on some trip by myself...and feel no guilt about it. :) Go and enjoy! Even if you just chill in your awesome room watching TV and ordering room service I bet it would be nice. :)

Bets

caleymama
02-17-2009, 10:14 AM
As long as that is somewhere you want to go, I would go with your dad. I doubt you will regret spending this time with him. And you could probably split up with him for a few alone hours (spa??) more easily than with girlfriends. HTH.

:yeahthat: Your kids will be just fine in the care of your DH and the nanny. I love the idea of inviting your Dad along. I also think you would do just great on your own too. Either way, GO!

mommylamb
02-17-2009, 10:17 AM
If you go by yourself, make sure to treat yourself to some nice spa treatments... that sounds like heaven. And, wow, your DH deserves a round of applause. Good for him.

I've traveled on my own before, and I tend to get lonely, but for a few nights I could see doing it. Or, go with your dad. Sounds like fun. I'm not a gambler either, but I'd love to see one of the cirque de solei shows (could have just totally spelled that wrong)

vludmilla
02-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Personally, I would go alone but I've taken vacations alone before and I know that I like the solitude. For some people being alone for three days would not be refreshing so I guess it depends on your personality. I really love not be pinned down to anyone else's plans and I like not having to be "on" and making conversation. I like the introspection that, for me, naturally follows being alone for long stretches.
Have fun however you go---you deserve it!

pb&j
02-17-2009, 10:36 AM
I'd go alone, but I enjoy traveling alone and used to do it frequently, and I see my dad several times per week. In your case, sounds like having some time with your dad would be great. Either way, do it!

almostamom
02-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Lisa, I think you will have a wonderful time with your dad and create some memories that you will treasure for years to come. If I were you, I'd go call him right now and invite him. I can only imagine how happy he'd be to receive that call.

Linda

stefani
02-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Go! That sounds wonderful. I think it will be great to go with your Dad and have some quality time with yourself as well as with him.

I used to take separate vacation from DH (he was boyfriend then) and it was great! I miss that now as after DS we tend to do family vacation of with DS (without the other spouse).

ha98ed14
02-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Go with your Dad! Sounds like fun and he will distract you from worrying. I wouldn't go to Vegas alone. But if you have to go alone, go to a health spa where the ladies have to pamper you and talk to you. Then they can distract you.

JMS
02-17-2009, 12:44 PM
I think going with your Dad is a great idea. He sounds like a fun person and you get along great. And, hopefully this won't come out sounding the wrong way, but how many more chances are you going to get in life to spend a couple days with just your dad? I think you'll cherish the memories. The kids will be fine :)

srhs
02-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Minnesota to Nevada in Feb after a long gloomy winter? YES! Don't underestimate the benefit that sun will give you! Can you tell I live somewhere cold and dreary too?
I suspect you will come back refreshed and pumped to see your DH and kids!

LarsMal
02-17-2009, 12:54 PM
I'd go to a local Motel 6 if it meant three days by myself!!! Vegas sounds MUCH better!

Go- enjoy yourself- and RELAX! The idea of being alone sounds good, but I'd probably get bored or lonely after a day. It sounds like you and your dad would have fun together. I'm sure he'd love to be included, too. Like a pp said, you'd be able to get away for some alone time easier if you had your dad with you vs a friend.

HAVE FUN!!!!!

(Oh, and go across the street to Paris and get a delicious crepe at La Creperie. yuuuummmm....)

elektra
02-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Go Gatorsdad! I think you should definitely go. The alternative is staying home but still needing that break, right? It seems like the perfect opportunity has presented itself.
Either go with your dad or 1 girlfriend that is travel-compatible. And what I mean by that is someone who can also be self sufficient, is on your same page in regards to eating and drinking and being flexible. If this also describes your dad, then all the better!
Personally I would not want to deal with a group dynamic of 3+ girls. The trip should be about you!

AnnieW625
02-17-2009, 01:52 PM
I don't have 4 children under 6, but if I did I think I would go on a trip by myself.

Tondi G
02-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Vegas can be a lonely place to visit solo... I would go, but I would invite your Dad along for sure! My Dh was there for a tournament in November. It was the first time he had spent a night away from his family ALONE. He said he felt lonely in the room all by himself... luckily he had others to spend time with for meals and such!

If you fancy a buffet, my DH and his teammates had the buffet at the Paris Hotel and said it was wonderful. There are so many restaurants etc to try in Vegas though! Go, get yourself a spa treatment.... go to bed when you want to, wake up when you want to! ENJOY!!!!

anamika
02-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Hope you've booked the tickets by now.

Don't miss the opportunity to spend quality adult time with your dad - you will never regret it!

:yeahthat:
Before my mom died, my parents made the long trip here to visit us. Just yesterday DH was saying that he is so glad we were able to spend time with her - "One less regret" was how he phrased it.

JenaW
02-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Take me with you!!!

Seriously, I would not hesitate at all....well, okay maybe a minute or two to make sure the kids are taken care of. Go...There is NO WAY you can regret this. Seriously. I think spending the time with your dad sounds nice too. All of us need time alone to recharge and you will come home so much happier and refreshed!

J

TonFirst
02-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Yes and YES. Go and enjoy yourself! It sounds like you have a fantastic husband, and def take your dad - if he likes Vegas, he'll be fine on his own while you hit the spa.

MamaKath
02-17-2009, 09:13 PM
I would go and bring your dad! It sounds like it would be a great trip and he wouldn't let you sit on your duff moping. Have a great time!!!

DrSally
02-17-2009, 09:59 PM
Hmm, If you go with your dad, maybe it would be easier to get away for some "you" time and get together in the late afternoon/evening for dinner and a show? That's harder with girlfriends, who might want to hang out all the time. Once I get done bfing (or around 18 months when she won't need to nurse as much), I would love to get away for a weekend. I think it would feel weird, too, though. In all of 3 years, DH has been alone with DS a total of 3 days when I had to come home for my dad's funeral.

Asianmommy
02-17-2009, 11:30 PM
Go with your dad or with a girlfriend--just go & have a great time!

gatorsmom
02-25-2009, 02:37 AM
Thank you for all the great support. I'm really looking forward to it!

salsah
02-25-2009, 02:45 AM
that is great! are going with your dad?

have fun, relax, recharge and enjoy!

maestramommy
02-25-2009, 07:49 AM
Way to go!!! Have fun! :cheerleader1:

elephantmeg
02-25-2009, 08:18 AM
whoot! Have a blast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ceepa
02-25-2009, 08:37 AM
This is such a feel good story, Lisa. Have fun with your dad! :D

JTsMom
02-25-2009, 08:39 AM
Good for you Lisa! I hope you have an amazing time. :D

KrisM
02-25-2009, 08:56 AM
So glad you're going!!

Have some fun for all of us!

sadie427
02-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Have a great time! And if it's not too too hot, take a drive to one of the the hiking areas near there--I can't remember the name right now, they can tell you in your hotel, but it's really pretty.

DrSally
02-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Have a great time! And if it's not too too hot, take a drive to one of the the hiking areas near there--I can't remember the name right now, they can tell you in your hotel, but it's really pretty.

Yeah! I actually preferred the hiking/national parks in the area. Def visit Hoover dam as it's super close. Zion Nation Park, Bryce nation park, etc. are all great and can be done in a few hours. If you need a break from the glitz, those are options. You only have a limited amount of time though. Enjoy!!