PDA

View Full Version : Dental Trauma

mamalia
02-17-2009, 02:05 PM
On Sunday night, 4yo DD tripped at the mall and split her lip on the marble floor. She complained of a sore front tooth and refused to eat dinner that night so I left a message with her dentist. We did some internet research, including some very helpful past threads on the BBB. And also talked to some nurse friends. Everyone said to watch for grey, and any blood, but since it was only her baby teeth there wasn't much we could do besides put ice on the gum line. So when the dentist called back yesterday to see Kailie I refused the appointment thinking it wasn't necessary because there was no blood. I thought it was just bruised from the impact. But after a day of smoothies only. I was getting worried, so I finally thought to check the back of her front tooth. There was a blood spot under the skin back there! I feel like the worst mommy. :( I talked with the dental office this morning and explained everything. She's scheduled to see the dentist tomorrow (her dentist is in surgery all day today). So anyway I'm writing to confess, and hopefully help another mommy to know to check the back gumline too.

Also if anyone has any advice, prayers, or reccs on soft food ideas please send them our way.

jse107
02-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Just wanted to send a hug your way! I have personally been reponsible for killing DS's front tooth and chipping both front teeth (not terrible, but there). Good thing they're only his baby teeth!

1st incident--just over 2YO, running around and wrestling with me, ran into my bent knee full speed. 3 weeks later it turned gray. Turned back white after about a year.

2nd incident--6 mos. after the first. Playing with bubbles in the bathtub. Fell forward and chipped tooth on tub.

3rd incident--Didn't slide chair in far enough and DS ran into. Chip on other front tooth.

4th incident--last summer. Ran into pole on playground at school. 1 week later, tooth that recovered gray again.

So, don't feel too bad! Dentist told me it happens all the time and basically all the info. you already have!

mamalia
02-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks Jen, you're so sweet! It is so good to hear BTDT advice. My DH keeps telling me, it's not my fault, and to hear you say you are personally responsible makes me laugh...you so are not. So, why oh why does my mama guilt make me think of all the stuff I could have done differently? sigh. We're off to get smoothies and stock up on soft cold foods.
Thanks again, Malia

JTsMom
02-17-2009, 05:08 PM
I just wanted to say I'm sure you are a wonderful mommy. Even moms can't know everything about everything! I don't have a dental story to share, but I can pretty much guarantee every single one of us has a few bad mommy guilt trips under our belts. Hope she's feeling better soon.:hug:

mamalia
02-18-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks JTsMom! If I knew how to do the hug smiley I would be inserting that here. :)

I went back to look for my post because I wanted to update it with info from the dentist, that way if anyone ever does a search for dental trauma info they'd have professional advice too.

The blood on the back of the tooth was gone and the tooth wasn't moving. But DD really was not cooperating so the dentist could not do much but look inside. She said that there were two possibilities to explain the soreness:
1) DD has a contusion to the tooth. It may have even moved a little. The soreness will last about two weeks.
2) DD has a nerve fracture (I think she called it a fracture, DD was screaming by this point). Here the impact did damage to the nerve and could result in infection (look for a grey bubble on the gumline) or even damage to the growth of future permanent teeth.

The only way to truly rule out scenario two is to do an xray. DD would not cooperate today, but we are hoping that she will cooperate next week once her lip is feeling a little better. In the meantime she's supposed to eat soft foods (smoothies, milkshakes, yogurt, applesauce) and avoid reinjury to the area. DD has been gargling with just salt and warm water since her fall. But I think tonight we will try to brush her teeth since she's been willing to chew small bites of soft things like mac & cheese, cereal bars, and cheese sandwiches.