PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning with vinegar question

Octobermommy
02-17-2009, 02:48 PM
What do you put in the vinegar/water to make it smell good. We are going to be selling our house and I know I will be cleaning just before people come to look at the house and I don't want it to smell like vinegar. Also what percentage of vinegar to water do you use?

brittone2
02-17-2009, 03:04 PM
I add essential oils if I want some fragrance.

I like citrus-y scents like lime, tangerine, etc. especially in the summer.

In the winter I use peppermint a lot.

Lavendar is great year round as well.

Tea tree oil has a very "clean" or disinfectant type of smell and adds extra germ killing properties, but it may not be what you are looking for pre-company arriving.

You can buy essential oils at health food stores, Whole Foods, etc.

eta: if you are using essential oils vs. fragrance oils, they aren't synthetic so you don't have the issues w/ phthalates like you do in most "scented" products.

SnuggleBuggles
02-17-2009, 03:10 PM
I don't add anything. The smell of vinegar goes away pretty quickly after it dries so it is no biggie to me. I don't use vinegar to clean many things though (I use peppermint scented castille soap) so it might be that it doesn't bother me since I don't use it a ton (glass, mirrors, stainless steel, windows).

Beth

JTsMom
02-17-2009, 04:49 PM
I add essential oils if I want some fragrance.

I like citrus-y scents like lime, tangerine, etc. especially in the summer.

In the winter I use peppermint a lot.

Lavendar is great year round as well.

Tea tree oil has a very "clean" or disinfectant type of smell and adds extra germ killing properties, but it may not be what you are looking for pre-company arriving.

You can buy essential oils at health food stores, Whole Foods, etc.

eta: if you are using essential oils vs. fragrance oils, they aren't synthetic so you don't have the issues w/ phthalates like you do in most "scented" products.

:yeahthat: I use about a 50/50 mix, but I think that is a bit more vinegar than typically rec'd. When the vinegar dries, it stops smelling vinegar-y. I'll also second the castille soap- I've just started cleaning with it and really like it.

Octobermommy
02-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Thanks everyone, where do you get the castille soap? I love the smell of peppermint.

brittone2
02-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks everyone, where do you get the castille soap? I love the smell of peppermint.

If you have Trader Joe's, they have a very affordable peppermint Castille soap. It runs like $3 or so if I remember right??

If you don't have Trader Joe's, health food stores or places like Whole Foods often carry Dr. Bronner's castille soap (comes in a very big container!). It is very concentrated and can be diluted. If you buy an unscented version, you can always add whatever essential oils you want to it.

elektra
02-17-2009, 08:05 PM
I have found that peppermint masks the vinegar scent pretty well. I usually do 50/50 vinegar/water, maybe a tad more water. I will add a few drops of lavendar too sometimes.

DrSally
02-17-2009, 08:44 PM
If you have Trader Joe's, they have a very affordable peppermint Castille soap. It runs like $3 or so if I remember right??

If you don't have Trader Joe's, health food stores or places like Whole Foods often carry Dr. Bronner's castille soap (comes in a very big container!). It is very concentrated and can be diluted. If you buy an unscented version, you can always add whatever essential oils you want to it.

:yeahthat:
I bought mine at TJ's based on recommendations here. I put a little with distilled water in my soap foamer. They also had the Dr. Bronner's at TJ's too.