PDA

View Full Version : Runners or Tri gals with large chests??

JenaW
02-17-2009, 03:13 PM
I haven't been on the boards much this week as I have spent all my online time looking for supportive triathlon wear for my 34F's. (Oh, and I have been hiding after starting all of the hoopla with my abortion posts...sorry for that). Yes, I am training for another triathlon. I did a super sprint last year while about 7 weeks pregnant, and I just bit the bullet and registered for the Iron Girl this summer. I guess "big girls" don't do triathlons becasue I am having the hardest time finding something to contain these things while I attempt to swim, bike, and run. The sad thing is, I am not that big in the rest of me. Due to my insane amount of training I have all but lost all of my 5-baby weight, and at 5ft 7in, and 158 pounds (actually 156.8 this am but I was a bit dehydrated I think), I think I look pretty darn hot for a woman who has been pregnant 9 times and birthed 5 babies in 6 years! (Am I allowed to say that out loud??) Seriously though....I certainly can't run in a speedo, and despite the fact that I have lost a lot of weight, and am getting more toned by the day, I still HAVE been pregnant 9 times, which means I do not have, nor will I ever have, a flat abdomen. So I can not picture myself doing the race (or working out or going ANYWHERE in public) with a sports bra and lycra shorts. Well, actually I CAN picture it, and that is the problem, it is NOT a pretty picture.

So.....(now to the question) I know several of you on here run or do triathlons. Do any of you have large chests too? If so, can you recommend something to race in? When I workout, even when I do bricks, I obviously change from my speedo into something dry. I usually end up wearing a sports bra with another non-cotton top with a built-in bra (yes I need two) and then a tee shirt over top of it to bike and run. However, the race is only a sprint (1/2 mile swim, 25k bike, 5k run) so I don't want to take the time to change. So I need something tight and quick dry (for the swim) but supportive enough to run in. I have been told that I should try to find something one piece (i.e. not plan on wearing a second sports bra underneath another top) to prevent skin chaffing. But I am not sure if this is possible as none of the tri tops I have already tried are nearly supportive enough.

Any ideas???

fivi2
02-17-2009, 03:37 PM
I don't do triathalons or anything of the sort, but I do have a large chest (also a 34F). The only sports bra that even comes close is the Enell (I believe Title nine sells it as the Last Resort Bra). You will not move. In fact, you will feel very constricted until you get used to it.

But it is impossible to take on and off quickly (a billion hook and eye closures up the front - at least I think that is what they are called). I have no idea what it would be like in the water or how it would dry. But it is the best sports bra out there - by far.

You can look at Title nine (sells women's athletic gear, they have a website) and they have other choices, see if anything else looks good. But the enell is amazing.

pb&j
02-17-2009, 03:52 PM
I wouldn't worry about chafing - it's still a pretty short race. Just lube up with BodyGlide before the bike, and you should be good.

I ran a marathon while DS was still nursing. I trained and ran in a great bra by Champion, that is unfortunately no longer available. It was similar to http://www.championusa.com/Champion/Products/Women-Champion/Women_ShopByCategory-Champion/Women_SportsBras-Champion/Women_SportsBras_HighSupport-Champion/CH1697.aspx
I am currently nursing DD who is 3 mos old - the girls are HUGE (34E/F) right now, so I am stuffing them in to that same old bra, and layering another on top of it, and the combo is doing fine. The downside is that it looks a little more "lingerie" than "sports bra" - I would never wear it w/o something on top.

Maybe you could try a good bra under a speedo or tri top/tank?

GL!

lizajane
02-17-2009, 03:56 PM
i would definitely check out title nine. www.titlenine.com i think! as PP mentioned, they have "the last resort bra" and some others that they advertise for large "girls."

as for race day, what about a one piece tank/lycra shorts? you could just keep the sports bra on underneath and do the entire race in it. i know DH wears "Tri shorts" when he races that he can swim in and bike and run. i am sure they have a women's version.

i will google what i am thinking of.

(even thought i am small chested... and currently very out of shape... but just because i love a hot mama athlete! go you!! whoo hoo!!)

these look awesome! pricey... but maybe you could check ebay for these brands? i googled women's tri suit
http://www.teamestrogen.com/product/apparel/one-piece-suits/c0-c1-c23-p1.html

Corie
02-17-2009, 05:20 PM
Jera,

How in the world do you have time to train for a triathlon?

I am very impressed! I think I need your time management skills. :)

Sorry...off topic.

tylersmama
02-17-2009, 06:22 PM
When I did my first tri in summer '07, I was just starting to come down from my peak bra size of 38F, and actually was probably right around the same size as you overall. I was REALLY worried about the boobage issue. You have a couple of options. What I ended up doing was buying a Zoot tri-tank and shorts. The Zoot had a built-in bra, and while I was sure it would never ever be supportive enough, when I actually went to REI, tried it on, and jumped around and ran in place in the fitting room, it shocked me by working! I think because, similar to you, the rest of me wasn't that big, so buying a size that fit the rest of me meant that the bra was tight enough to contain the girls. Had that not worked, I would have probably worn the same tank and shorts, just with an additional sports bra underneath. If you go that route, make absolutely sure that the sports bra is made from a good wicking material that will dry quickly. I wear the Moving Comfort Fiona bra and LOVE it (bonus, the straps can be undone for nursing access!). I know a lot of people love the Enells, but I'm not sure what kind of material they're made out of.

My personal opinion on the tri-suits is NO WAY. They're really not very attractive, and hard to get in/out of for bathroom breaks. They are definitely supportive, though. One of my friends who did my first tri with me (I've now done 7!) wore a tri-suit with a sports bra underneath. I personally would NOT go the regular one-piece swimsuit with sports bra route unless money was a limiting factor and you can't afford to buy tri-specific stuff. The swimsuit is not going to give you any support at all and the crotch won't dry out very fast, which could lead to discomfort later.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have questions!

Thatchermom
02-17-2009, 08:25 PM
I am SO not a runner, but at my moms group last week someone who is was sharing her own tips n tricks and she showed the group something called a JaneStrap. I couldn't fathom what it was for until she demonstrated jumping up and down with and without. It looked fabulous and easy to use! She said she used it running marathons on top of her sports bra and under her shirt, I don't know much about how things are for a tri or whether it would help you or not. I just thought it was such a neat idea! You can find them at janestrap.com

jenmcadams
02-17-2009, 09:01 PM
My personal opinion on the tri-suits is NO WAY. They're really not very attractive, and hard to get in/out of for bathroom breaks.

I've never been well endowed as far as "the girls" go -- even when nursing, I topped out a larger C max at my biggest, but I've done a ton of tris and want to echo this. I know some people who love them, but they never seemed practical to me.

I normally wear a tri-top that looks like a sports bra with tri shorts under my wetsuit for the swim and when I was in better shape pre-baby, I'd just wear that the whole time. Now, I throw on a wicking shirt or a sleeveless bike jersey for the bike and wear that through the run. I would think you could do something similar -- wear a tri top and/or sports bra with tri shorts for the swim and then throw on a short/jersey at the swim-->bike transition and wear that for the rest of the race.

Edited to Add: There are a number of good online places to order tri clothing from ... I also used to love www.trinewbies.com for questions like this. There are some great folks on their discussion boards and they might have some good suggestions on where to shop for tri clothing...it's been a few years since I shopped for anything new, so I'm not the best at specific suggestions

squimp
02-17-2009, 09:36 PM
I used to wear a lycra-heavy sports bra under my swimsuit. I couldn't run in a speedo either. I think I also did bike shorts and sports bra for the swim, then threw a tank over this not so lovely ensemble at the start of the bike. I was never dry after the swim. My biggest problem with chafing is on my inner thighs, so the bike shorts are key.

But it's been a few years!

tylersmama
02-17-2009, 09:52 PM
Actually, true bike shorts are usually a bad idea, since the chamois will never dry out after the swim, which can lead to lots of yuck and chafing. Tri shorts have a light chamois that dries quickly, so you have some padding for the bike, but don't have to run in something that feels like a wet diaper. I'm usually totally dry (except for sweat!) by a few miles into the bike.

squimp
02-18-2009, 12:41 AM
Actually, true bike shorts are usually a bad idea, since the chamois will never dry out after the swim, which can lead to lots of yuck and chafing. Tri shorts have a light chamois that dries quickly, so you have some padding for the bike, but don't have to run in something that feels like a wet diaper. I'm usually totally dry (except for sweat!) by a few miles into the bike.

Oh I didn't mean bike shorts with the padding, sorry - just lycra shorts. I never liked that padding although many did. And I also sweat too much to ever be truly dry.

tylersmama
02-18-2009, 12:46 AM
Ah, gotcha! I don't own any plain lycra shorts so I just went straight for the tri shorts so I could have at least a little padding for the bike!

JenaW
02-18-2009, 11:16 AM
I don't do triathalons or anything of the sort, but I do have a large chest (also a 34F). The only sports bra that even comes close is the Enell (I believe Title nine sells it as the Last Resort Bra). You will not move. In fact, you will feel very constricted until you get used to it.

But it is impossible to take on and off quickly (a billion hook and eye closures up the front - at least I think that is what they are called). I have no idea what it would be like in the water or how it would dry. But it is the best sports bra out there - by far.

You can look at Title nine (sells women's athletic gear, they have a website) and they have other choices, see if anything else looks good. But the enell is amazing.

Thanks for the recommendation. I have looked at Title9 and actually do have one of their bras for running. But I don't think the hooks would work with the tri, as it would get wet in the water and probably not dry off well while I bike and run. Also, I am worried the hooks would be uncomfortable with another compression top over it. Thanks though :)

JenaW
02-18-2009, 11:21 AM
I wouldn't worry about chafing - it's still a pretty short race. Just lube up with BodyGlide before the bike, and you should be good.

Maybe you could try a good bra under a speedo or tri top/tank?

GL!

I have never used Body Glide but heard a lot about it. Do I just rub it everywhere or only places that are likely to chafe? Under arms? Inner thighs? Luckily this is a short distance. I did do my first tri (which was just 15 minutes each of swim, bike, run) with just a speedo and then pulled a pair of running shorts over top of it for the bike and run. Obviously 15 minutes was not long enough for anything to dry, but also not long enough for chafing or anything else. I also had a much smaller chest (I was a few weeks pregnant but had weaned A by then so the girls were much smaller than they are now) so the run (which was actually mostly a walk that day) was doable in a speedo then. It definitely would not be now. I have a champion bra that I wear now that gives great support but even though it is synthetic, it is not wicking. After my runs now (I wear it under another compression top with a built-in bra and a regular tee) it stays soaked just from my sweat and is very uncomfortable. I can't imagine how it would be swimming in it.

JenaW
02-18-2009, 11:24 AM
i would definitely check out title nine. www.titlenine.com i think! as PP mentioned, they have "the last resort bra" and some others that they advertise for large "girls."

as for race day, what about a one piece tank/lycra shorts? you could just keep the sports bra on underneath and do the entire race in it. i know DH wears "Tri shorts" when he races that he can swim in and bike and run. i am sure they have a women's version.

i will google what i am thinking of.

(even thought i am small chested... and currently very out of shape... but just because i love a hot mama athlete! go you!! whoo hoo!!)

these look awesome! pricey... but maybe you could check ebay for these brands? i googled women's tri suit
http://www.teamestrogen.com/product/apparel/one-piece-suits/c0-c1-c23-p1.html

I ma afraid you would see every one of my lumps and rolls in these?!? Also, I am worried about pee breaks. Several people have recommended them though. I am hoping for a cheaper two piece option though. They do have numerous pairs of tri shorts that have a smaller, faster drying pad. I jsut need to figure out what will work on top. Thanks for the link. I love teamestrogen's site and some of their stuff! I just wish it were a bit les spricey.

JenaW
02-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Jera,

How in the world do you have time to train for a triathlon?

I am very impressed! I think I need your time management skills. :)

Sorry...off topic.

My secret - I am selfish. The gym is my "ME" time. I try to get there at least 4 times during the week, and DH and I usually go together on the weekends. On sat and/or Sun we take the kids swimming after we workout. During the week, I drop off whomever has preschool and take the rest to the gym. On T/Th, I only get about an hour to work out (and often have to forgo my shower until I get home, feed the girls lunch, and get them down for a nap) but on M, W, and F, I can usually get the full two hours in (2h is the childwatch limit). (It varies because Natalie has OT on Wed, so we need to forgo naps to do to the gym, so I often skip this day, and Fri I often take the little girls to mass at C's school. He gets excited to show off all his sisters and he gets to sit with us, which he likes). I often get interrupted during my workouts to nurse Hailey, but this is the only place I can leave her as she won't take a bottle or nuk. I use the time to work out (swim, bike and/or run depending on the day - I usually try ot get two in, as well as some weight room times), soak in the hot tub, read a book/newspaper, shower without kids, etc. It is so much more for my sanity than anything else. I often feel guilty that I am "wasting" the entire morning when I could be spending it WITH my kids. But I find that I am much happier and actually look forward to spending the afternoon with them after I work out. And the kids really seem to enjoy the childwatch. The gals there are awesome and keep them entertained, so as long as they are not fighting me to go I don't feel TOO awful. The tri training is simply because I needed a goal to work towards, otherwise I would just putz along on the treadmill and not get anything accomplished. Also, I must admit, everything else at home takes a back seat to this. I am a HORRIBLE house cleaner. DH finally got me a cleaning lady who comes every other week. I wish she came every day! I TRY to broom under the table after meals and run the vacuum downstairs a few times a week, but that is the extent of my cleaning, other than a mad rush the night before they come to clean. I do love to cook, so we still eat well. I got a new crockpot for Christmas and I use that a lot too. If DH has an early day, we will often meet at the gym together around 5. Then I feed the kids dinner before we go and DH and I have sandwiches when we come home.

JenaW
02-18-2009, 11:42 AM
When I did my first tri in summer '07, I was just starting to come down from my peak bra size of 38F, and actually was probably right around the same size as you overall. I was REALLY worried about the boobage issue. You have a couple of options. What I ended up doing was buying a Zoot tri-tank and shorts. The Zoot had a built-in bra, and while I was sure it would never ever be supportive enough, when I actually went to REI, tried it on, and jumped around and ran in place in the fitting room, it shocked me by working! I think because, similar to you, the rest of me wasn't that big, so buying a size that fit the rest of me meant that the bra was tight enough to contain the girls. Had that not worked, I would have probably worn the same tank and shorts, just with an additional sports bra underneath. If you go that route, make absolutely sure that the sports bra is made from a good wicking material that will dry quickly. I wear the Moving Comfort Fiona bra and LOVE it (bonus, the straps can be undone for nursing access!). I know a lot of people love the Enells, but I'm not sure what kind of material they're made out of.

My personal opinion on the tri-suits is NO WAY. They're really not very attractive, and hard to get in/out of for bathroom breaks. They are definitely supportive, though. One of my friends who did my first tri with me (I've now done 7!) wore a tri-suit with a sports bra underneath. I personally would NOT go the regular one-piece swimsuit with sports bra route unless money was a limiting factor and you can't afford to buy tri-specific stuff. The swimsuit is not going to give you any support at all and the crotch won't dry out very fast, which could lead to discomfort later.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have questions!

7?! WOW! What distances? I would like to do an Oly next year, and MAYBE a HIM before I die, but I think even that would be pushing my limits. I'll stick to my sprints for now.

I have been eyeing several Zoots. That is good to know that they may work. Was it long? I have a fairly long torso and I want to make sure the shirt is long enough to cover my belly (and my back while on the bike). Swimoutlet.com has some on clearance, but limited sizes left. Their return policy is ok though, so I may just order and try some. They have a zoot bra top that I am wondering if it will work under a wet suit for the swim and then I can throw on a bike jersey for the bike/run if it is supportive enough. They also have a girls4sport supradry top with a built in bra that is on the longer side and comments that say it works well for swimming and dries fast on land. Maybe that will work over the zoot trifit bra top?? I wish we still lived near an REI so I could actually try some of this stuff first. Dicks just does not cut it here.

JenaW
02-18-2009, 11:43 AM
I am SO not a runner, but at my moms group last week someone who is was sharing her own tips n tricks and she showed the group something called a JaneStrap. I couldn't fathom what it was for until she demonstrated jumping up and down with and without. It looked fabulous and easy to use! She said she used it running marathons on top of her sports bra and under her shirt, I don't know much about how things are for a tri or whether it would help you or not. I just thought it was such a neat idea! You can find them at janestrap.com

Never head of that but it looks interesting? I'll definitely look into it some more. Thanks

JenaW
02-18-2009, 11:47 AM
I normally wear a tri-top that looks like a sports bra with tri shorts under my wetsuit for the swim and when I was in better shape pre-baby, I'd just wear that the whole time. Now, I throw on a wicking shirt or a sleeveless bike jersey for the bike and wear that through the run. I would think you could do something similar -- wear a tri top and/or sports bra with tri shorts for the swim and then throw on a short/jersey at the swim-->bike transition and wear that for the rest of the race.

Edited to Add: There are a number of good online places to order tri clothing from ... I also used to love www.trinewbies.com for questions like this. There are some great folks on their discussion boards and they might have some good suggestions on where to shop for tri clothing...it's been a few years since I shopped for anything new, so I'm not the best at specific suggestions

I forgot about the wet suit. The tri is in Oneida Lake in Syracuse in late July, so not sure of the water temp. If I CAN wear a wetsuit, I guess I would be silly not to, and that would certainly work. Just wear the bra top and shorts and then throw on a shirt in T1. Thanks!

I actually did look on trinewbies, and beginnertriathlete, and a few others. I did see a few posts with the same questions but not a lot of helfpul answers, although I have gotten a ton of other helpful info from those sites. Some can get overwhelming because there is SO much info! But they are a great resource. Thanks! Thanks for our advice too. BTDT stuff is so helpful, especially from moms I trust.

JenaW
02-18-2009, 11:48 AM
I was never dry after the swim. My biggest problem with chafing is on my inner thighs, so the bike shorts are key.

But it's been a few years!

That's my worry becasue my bra now is lycra heavy, but remains soaked with sweat after a run. I can't imagine it after a swim!

JenaW
02-18-2009, 11:50 AM

DH and I did a 20 mile ride at the lake last year and I jumped into the water when we stopped because I was so hot. (It was a very ambitious ride as I was only a few weeks postpartum, hadn't been on the bike regularly in a while, and was pulling the baby in her car seat in the trailer!0. OMG what a mistake. I did feel like I was wearing a diaper for the rest of the ride. What made it worse is that I think I had a mam cloth pad on too (made for a nice cushy ride BEFORE I jumped in the water, but pretty bad afterwards!). I will not make that mistake again!

JenaW
02-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Thanks to all of you for the replies and advice. I knew I could get some help here. Now I need to detach my kids from the TV, where they have been more than happy to camp out while I ignored them on the computer. We made some english muffin bread this am and I asked them not to jump around so the bread would rise and not fall. So now I think some running and jumping is in order to flush out the Dora and Diego-induced mind-numbness.

To those of you who think you could never do this, my advice is give it a try (or a tri!). I can not tell you how incredible it was to finish my first tri (and I specifically picked an easy one so I would not fail). I am so excited about doing the Iron Girl, because I think it SOUNDS sexy. I am also looking forward to racing with my DH and 5 kids cheering me on! My kids loved watching the last one and keep asking when I am doing another one. I love seeing the look on people's faces when the realize they are all mine. It makes me feel like what I have accomplished is so much more than it really is. I am trying to get Sharyn (SASM) to register with me. She has already done a marathon, so anyone who can run (or even run and walk) 26.2 miles can DEFINITELY do a sprint distance triathlon. I can not even IMAGINE running that far. I am hoping just to be able to run my 3 miles, and know if I have to walk some of it, it won't be the end of the world.

Thanks ahain!

J

tylersmama
02-18-2009, 03:22 PM
I have never used Body Glide but heard a lot about it. Do I just rub it everywhere or only places that are likely to chafe?If you know you have areas that tend to chafe, use it there. I typically only use it for wetsuit swims for kneepits and elbows, ankles and neck.

7?! WOW! What distances? I would like to do an Oly next year, and MAYBE a HIM before I die, but I think even that would be pushing my limits. I'll stick to my sprints for now.

I have been eyeing several Zoots. That is good to know that they may work. Was it long? I have a fairly long torso and I want to make sure the shirt is long enough to cover my belly (and my back while on the bike). Um, I think we may be body doubles. :p I also have a long torso and had a hard time with tops exposing my belly (and all my stretch marks). The Zoot top worked pretty well for me. I had the Zoot trifit tropic tank, and was very happy with it, at least until I lost more weight and it wasn't supportive anymore and couldn't find the color I wanted in a size down. Fashion's important, too! :loveeyes: I bought a Pearl Izumi tank last summer on clearance that works well support-wise, but is borderline for length.

I did two sprints the first season, then three sprints and an oly last year. I also did another oly that got cancelled while I was on the bike thanks to lightning. I'm hoping for a half in the fall, but I had knee surgery in October and am not sure my knee will be ready for that much biking. I'm definitely doing two olys and two sprints this summer, and I'm training for an April half-marathon right now. Hi, my name is Gaye and I am a race-aholic. :waving4:

hillaryb
02-19-2009, 01:42 PM
So glad to know there are other tri gals out there on the BBB!

I did my first 2 sprints last summer and hope to do 3-4 this year, including the Chicago Tri sprint. I want to work up to the CT Triple Challenge in a few years (super sprint, sprint and Oly dist over 2 days, just under HIM total).

My girls are smaller so I got away with a sports-bra-like swim top and bike shorts, with a cycling jersy on top for the bike/run.

My problem is that I'm short, 5' 1", so I'm having trouble finding a responablly priced bike and wet suit to fit me. Any ideas? The wet suits for my C/W/H measurements are usually for someone slim and 5' 8". I don't want to trip over my wet suit cuffs on the beach!

JenaW
02-19-2009, 05:49 PM
I did two sprints the first season, then three sprints and an oly last year. I also did another oly that got cancelled while I was on the bike thanks to lightning. I'm hoping for a half in the fall, but I had knee surgery in October and am not sure my knee will be ready for that much biking. I'm definitely doing two olys and two sprints this summer, and I'm training for an April half-marathon right now. Hi, my name is Gaye and I am a race-aholic. :waving4:

They ARE addicting. I am impressed you have done 7! You go girl!

J

JenaW
02-19-2009, 05:52 PM
So glad to know there are other tri gals out there on the BBB!

I did my first 2 sprints last summer and hope to do 3-4 this year, including the Chicago Tri sprint. I want to work up to the CT Triple Challenge in a few years (super sprint, sprint and Oly dist over 2 days, just under HIM total).

My girls are smaller so I got away with a sports-bra-like swim top and bike shorts, with a cycling jersy on top for the bike/run.

My problem is that I'm short, 5' 1", so I'm having trouble finding a responablly priced bike and wet suit to fit me. Any ideas? The wet suits for my C/W/H measurements are usually for someone slim and 5' 8". I don't want to trip over my wet suit cuffs on the beach!

I just went to a local running store to get fitted for new sneakers and found out they rent wet suits. They have a small number of child ones. Maybe a larger child one would work? I honestly have no clue how they are sized, as I have never used one, but just found out the IronGirl allows them if the water is under 78 degrees and they highly recommend it if the temp is right, more for buoyancy than warmth. Also, sierra trading post often has some at discount prices. They may have off sizes still availabe??
J

tylersmama
02-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Hillary, have you tried looking at a youth size suit? Or maybe at getting a suit that's too long altered? I know there are a couple of places in my town that do wetsuit alterations. Remember, too, that wetsuits are stretchy so even though it looks like it may not work for your chest and hip measurements, it may be ok. Best bet is to find a B&M store that sells them and go try some on and talk to them about options. I was lucky enough to buy my wetsuit used off of a good friend who wanted to upgrade, so I got a great deal on it.

As for the bike, all you can do is find a shop with a big inventory and go try them out. Sit on every bike you can until you find one that works for you. Depending on how you're proportioned, it may not be quite as difficult as you think. Good luck!