PDA

View Full Version : Sidewalk chalk stain --- how to get it out!

kimbe
02-17-2009, 03:44 PM
HELP!

DS got some lovely sidewalk chalk stains on his sherpa Hanna bunny jacket. (PURPLE chalk of course!)

I haven't been at it that long. Tried pretreating and washing in cold water. (Hasn't been in the dryer yet!) Now I rubbed some borax on the stain and it is soaking in cold water. I am not optimistic.
Next on my list is castile soap.

What else can I try. Has anyone had any success???

TIA

Tondi G
02-17-2009, 04:03 PM
Give Oxiclean a try. Use HOT HOT water to activate the stuff and soak overnight... then dump the whole bucket into the washer and wash as usual!

Melaine
02-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Chalk STAINS?!?! Now that just doesn't seem right....

DebbieJ
02-17-2009, 04:55 PM

That's what I was thinking. Chalk is water soluble. Are you sure it isn't something else?

writermama
02-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Ah yes, the dreaded chalk stains. There are a few of the dark colors of sidewalk chalk that have stained some of DD's favorite hanna capris. Grrr.

Crayola has good stain tips (alas for my poor capris, they had already been through washer and dryer so they didn't seem to work).

http://www.crayola.com/canwehelp/staintips/

kimbe
02-17-2009, 07:33 PM

I know, that is what I was thinking as I watched the purple chalk get all over his jacket....it's chalk...it will come out! NOPE! Grrr!

Thanks for the tips. I am going to try the oxyclean and I am gonna take a look at the crayola page --- it was crayola chalk!

EllasMum
02-17-2009, 08:01 PM
I don't know if this will work, but hand sanitizer works like a charm for removing ink/marker/paint stains in fabrics. Just rub a little directly onto the stain and wash as usual in your laundry.

Good luck!