PDA

View Full Version : girly gift for 3 year old?

skohng
02-17-2009, 06:21 PM
I have two boys so I am so lost when it comes to girly girl toys.

What's a good gift for a turning-3-year-old girl?

Thanks!

citymama
02-17-2009, 07:02 PM
Does it have to be girly-girl? As a mom to an almost 3 yr old girl, I would say that gender-neutral gifts like musical instruments, CDs and books are always appreciated. If she is a real girly-girl, then dress-up clothes (twirly skirts, fairy wings) can be fun. Girls also love dresses - a size 3 Gymboree dress might be a nice gift.

DD recently got this pink Princess camera as a gift and LOOOOVED it: http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Princess-Toys-Talk-Camera/dp/B00009KWTF/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1234911632&sr=8-3

That's a great price, incidentally, because I've seen them elsewhere closer to $15. HTH!

maiaann
02-17-2009, 07:03 PM
A baby doll maybe? Books, legos, a disney movie, dress up clothes...

Who is the gift for?

My DD received lots of dolls & stuffed animals as gifts from age 2 on, and now at age 7, she still loves playing with them.

citymama
02-17-2009, 07:04 PM
A baby doll maybe? Books, legos, a disney movie, dress up clothes...

Who is the gift for?

My DD received lots of dolls & stuffed animals as gifts from age 2 on, and now at age 7, she still loves playing with them.

This is funny. My DD got no less than 3 dolls for her 2nd birthday - all from people with sons! She may be a rare breed for a 3 yr old girl, but she detests dolls. Give her a stuffed animal and she's in heaven, but dolls in our house get thrown into the closet!

brittone2
02-17-2009, 07:58 PM
more gender neutral:
agreeing w/ PPs...can't go wrong w/ a CD, musical instruments (Remo Drum?)
Books
Duplo
Magnatiles
a first game like Memory (Eeboo has some pretty "Memory" type games
Books
maybe some playsilks?
unit blocks (can buy the Melissa and Doug unpainted unit blocks pretty affordably, and some AC Moore or Michaels stores have them, and you can use a 40% off coupon to buy them)
Wooden cutting or playfood?
something fun from etsy like wool felt playfood or fabric playfood (we have some great ice cream cones from thechenillechef)

More girly:
tutu or pettiskirt or other dressup stuff
fairy wings
doll stroller (Maclaren makes a cute and affordable one)
doll if she's into them
hair accessories

fivi2
02-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Also agreeing w/pps - my 3 yos aren't really into girly things :)

Brittone had some great ideas. Other games we like are Candyland Castle and Go Away Monsters, but both are almost too easy for them. We bought Cranium Cariboo, but haven't played it yet - it gets good reviews. And they love Elefun even though it isn't a thinking game. some reviews say it breaks easily, but ours have been fine.

Also good are those magnetic dress up dolls. Melissa and Doug make them among others. Be aware that those are a popular gift - we have several sets. Lacing beads, puzzlesm magnetic drawing boards, art supplies. Also the snap and style dolls.

our biggest loves are duplos, trains, cars, and blocks though!

eta: and to slightly disagree with pp, please do not give baby dolls or stuffed animals unless the parent asks for them! I can't tell you how many dolls and animals we have! (not including the things like dollhouse dolls, snap and style, polly pockets, etc - just baby dolls - we have a ton!)

mommyapb
02-17-2009, 09:15 PM
My almost 3 yr old dd is a girly girl. (Everyday I have to explain why we can not wear dress up clothing out & about.)

I ran across this shirt (looking for DD's bday) & DD insisted we get it for one of her friend's bday: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_list_2&listing_id=21160587&ga_search_query=rhinestone+crown+shirt&ga_search_type=tag_title

It was cute & a nice "girly" gift that should get lots of use. I paired it w/ a pettiskirt as a gift but you could certainly just give the shirt.

HTH
Amelia
DD 3/06
DS due 3/09

sarahsthreads
02-17-2009, 11:32 PM
If you do something like fairy wings as a PP suggested, you could add this magic wand and crown set from etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=19799011

Cute and girly and works for fairies, magicians, princesses, etc. - whatever DD1 feels like dressing up as that day. :)

And I have to echo the "no dolls" plea. So. Many. Dolls. I'm afraid they might all gang up on us one day and take over the house...

Sarah :)

citymama
02-18-2009, 03:25 AM
I ran across this shirt (looking for DD's bday) & DD insisted we get it for one of her friend's bday: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_list_2&listing_id=21160587&ga_search_query=rhinestone+crown+shirt&ga_search_type=tag_title

It was cute & a nice "girly" gift that should get lots of use. I paired it w/ a pettiskirt as a gift but you could certainly just give the shirt.

HTH
Amelia
DD 3/06
DS due 3/09

Wow, that is cute!

Hey Amelia, if I remember correctly, our girls both turn 3 the same day - so early happy birthday to her, and congrats on the impending new arrival!

mommyapb
02-27-2009, 10:00 PM
Happy Birthday to your lil one too...can't believe how quickly 3 yrs has gone!

Amelia
DD 3/06
DS due 3/09