PDA

View Full Version : Do you keep a local line phone?

KBecks
02-17-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm thinking of maybe dumping our local line and replacing with a cell. The only reason I keep it is for 911 being able to locate us. Do you keep a land line?

niccig
02-17-2009, 06:36 PM
We have to as our cell coverage is very spotty, and that's all the carriers. Damn canyon hills. My ILs don't have a land line, they get great reception, but they have to remember to always have their phones charged.

kayte
02-17-2009, 06:38 PM
We just got rid of our land line. We had Vonage previously and it let us look online and see how many minutes we actually used it --it came out to be a lot more than more minutes on our cells.

infomama
02-17-2009, 06:39 PM
That is exactly why I kept the land line...911. $16/month is a small price to pay for the assurance that police or EMS could locate us in case of an emergency. Cell 911 calls can be routed to a central call center and dropped before reaching the proper agency. Not a chance I am willing to take when we need help.

SnuggleBuggles
02-17-2009, 06:40 PM
We use our land line. I am not totally convinced on the safety of cell phones even though I use mine. I just wouldn't want to use it all the time. Plus, I like to keep my cell number private (only friends and family have it). I wouldn't want to be getting solicitations and other calls on my cell.

Beth

Mommy Of A Little Angel
02-17-2009, 06:42 PM
We keep a land line because we have an alarm system so it's required. If not for that, we probably wouldn't (though we'd probably go back to Vonage if that we the case because we had great cheap service with them!)

Ceepa
02-17-2009, 06:43 PM
We're keeping our land line. We aren't the best about charging (or locating) our cell when we need it.

WatchingThemGrow
02-17-2009, 06:46 PM
We keep our cells in a certain spot at night- when we have to call 911 for random things -you know, drunk neighbor flips his car at 3:30 am right by our driveway, that sort of stuff. We've never lost a call to 911 and we do call a lot. Coverage is great in our house/area, and DH is amazing at charging our phones.

writermama
02-17-2009, 07:03 PM
we keep a land line for both the 911 thing as well as the emergency access thing.

Sure there's no guarantee that in an emergency the land circuits won't be busy, too ... but it gives us one more thing to try if we're desperately trying to get a call out or if power is out for a prolonged time and we can't recharge cells. We also keep at least one phone in the house with a cord so it will work in a power outage.

On edit: IIRC, the phone companies are required by law to give you a line just for 911 if you request it. I beleive it is free, or if not, very low cost. It might be a good idea to have as a back-up if you switch to cells for all of your normal calling.

3blackcats
02-17-2009, 07:07 PM
I don't know how to answer. We have a land line in the fact that we have a phone that stays at home. But, it's VoIP service through our cable company. So, it's not the typical land line, but it does stay in the house.

tarahsolazy
02-17-2009, 07:07 PM
I have a land line, its required for my job. I'd probably have one anyway, I don't like talking on my cell, I always feel like its going to cut off. I have a cheap Tracfone, though, so I'd bet we're paying less with a cheap landline and cheap cell phones than many with full service cell phone/data/text packages are.

hbridge
02-17-2009, 07:24 PM
We had a regional emergency that resulted in almost two weeks with no home phone and that was enough for me to realize I will NEVER give up my land line. I HATED that people would call me on my cell wherever I was. At the time I was trying to get information regarding damage and trying to schedule contractors, insurance, ect; my phone was constantly ringing and since I'm not very good at letting the phone ring or go to voice mail without at least checking it; it was aweful for me. I need to be able to get away from the phone! I have a cell phone for an emergency or if my immediately family needs to reach me, I have given the number to very few people and I like it that way. When I'm out and about I like to focus my attention on what I'm doing, not be interupted by the phone.

This may be just me, but when the electrician called me while DC was screaming in the dentists office I realized just how much I missed my home phone with answering machine attached!

Also, there are times that you may need to give personal information (SS#, Credit Card Info, account numbers, ect) over the phone; are you comfortable doing that with your cell phone?

sariana
02-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Parents magazine just had an article about saving money and such. They mentioned the 911 thing but pointed out that in some areas, 911 will work whether you have local phone service or not. You just have to keep a phone plugged into a wall jack (just an old "corded" phone will do), and you can dial 911 in an emergency. I don't know how to find out whether that service exists in your area, though.

We keep a land line because DH needs cell minutes for work. I make all local calls and toll-free calls on the land line. It just went up to $20 from $16, though, so it is not such a great deal. They have a 60-call service for $8, but I don't know if that includes incoming calls. I wouldn't want to hit our 60 limit because of all the wrong numbers and people telling me my auto warranty is about to expire.

scoop22
02-17-2009, 07:33 PM
we have a land line b/c we have poor service where we live. i would still keep a landline no matter what i don't have a good reason. i just can't imagine not having one.

MamaKath
02-17-2009, 09:17 PM
I do but only for the alarm system. I scaled back service awhile ago and need to cut to the complete minimum but haven't yet. Even when I call the police for problems with the neighbors and such, it is usually from the cell phone.

infocrazy
02-17-2009, 09:29 PM
We still have a landline. If I am home, I will use that over my cell. Ours is through our cable and is $20 a month flat rate. My cell forever needs to be charged.

The main reason though, aside from 911, is for when we have sitters/family there. I feel more comfortable leaving a land line than a cell, especially since I would like to have my cell with me.

brismom
02-17-2009, 09:33 PM
we have a land line although we hardly use it. I need it for peace of mind. When 9/11 happened I was in NY and the cell phones were not working and the only way to really get in touch with my family was through a land line that was enough to convince me to always have a land line

rlu
02-18-2009, 02:53 AM
One word - earthquakes. If we lose power beyond a day or two, the cell phones will need to be recharged but the land lines will work. DH has a car charger for his cell phone, but that assumes we'll have enough gas to run the engine (gas pumps are electrical, aren't they?) The aftermath of Katrina combined with memories of Loma Prieta is sufficient to justify the <$20 a month for the land line.

strollerqueen
02-18-2009, 05:51 AM
I was re-wiring the kitchen phone jack yesterday (long story, don't ask.) I didn't do it right, so I had to do a long phone call with my insurance agent today on my cell. It was awful! I was walking around the house like I usually do, and he kept dropping out. Not good when getting rate quotes. Then, with the kids yelling, I could barely hear him. The reception is so much better on the land line.

klwa
02-18-2009, 07:30 AM
We've kept our land line. Our cell service, with almost all carriers, is very spotty once you get to our house. Now, if you want to go out on the front porch & talk, go for it. But, sitting in the house? NO! My dad, the techno-phobe that he is, has dropped his land line & gone with just his cell. I still catch myself trying to call the phone number that was "mine" from birth when I want to talk to him & have to remind myself to call his cell. It's also annoying when I'm staying with him because I HAVE to keep my phone with me at all times. And my SIL can never remember my number, so if Daddy happens to be gone, she can't get up with me.

maestramommy
02-18-2009, 07:49 AM
We do because no matter which cell plan we choose it would still be more expensive than the land line, and like any other plan sometimes there are holes, which is very annoying. In the past we also had it because of possible power failure. Now we have fiber optic, so although we have a battery backup, that's also at risk.

WatchingThemGrow
02-18-2009, 09:00 AM
I forgot to mention earlier that our town/schools/etc. has an emergency message system where they will send out a call if you have your number registered- like when heavy rains were flooding the creek banks and approaching houses, we got a call from the police saying to check your cars and property and prepare to evacuate if needed.

IIRC, most cell phones have the ability to track your location, right?

KBecks
02-18-2009, 09:06 AM
I'm thinking of keeping the cell in the house ALL THE TIME. And using it as the "house phone", not taking it with me on the go. I have a Tracfone that is my "mobile phone". I almost never use it, it's my emergency road phone and I have a hard time remembering to keep it charged.

But I'm thinking of having a cell phone at home that would stay at home, I'd probably get a little tray to keep it in. Our reception at home is good and my land line is full of static. We are paying over $400/year for it and I make very few phone calls on our home phone. The 911 service is the only thing I want that is important, and I think I should look into the basic 911 only use of a phone, because I can leave a phone plugged in for just that if that is how it works.

KBecks
02-18-2009, 09:07 AM
Dave asked if we can keep our home phone # and transfer it to cell. I don't know. The kids haven't learned the phone # yet.

I might have to check into cable or other phone providers to see if that's a better deal or service.

carolinamama
02-18-2009, 09:30 AM
Too scared to give it up for the safety factor - 911 and all. Also, if I leave my kids with a sitter, it shouldn't be her responsibility to maintain a personal cell for emergency calls at our house, nor would I feel comfortable in that situation.

Melaine
02-18-2009, 09:51 AM
We each have cell phones, no land line. We haven't had one since we moved into this house four years ago. I can't say I miss it, in general. There are a few occasions where I wish we had it. There are times when I am afraid I won't be able to find my cell phone. Also, my 17 year sister would babysit a lot more often, but I won't let her stay here with the kids with no phone and she doesn't have a cell phone (and I don't want to leave mine, obviously).

secchick
02-18-2009, 10:09 AM
We kept our land line because it is nice to have a phone that works when the power is out for up to two weeks after a hurricane and not having to stress about cell phone charge. I also keep it because even if your cell has power, you usually can't get a call in or out and can only text message in those circumstances anyway. I also have an alarm system that requires it. Last of all, I do keep it for 911 and emergency access as well. I don't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon. I know there are plans that provide limited access, 25 local calls/month or something like that that I used in college to save $$ that are very cheap. I would at least have a plan like that.

C99
02-18-2009, 10:17 AM
911 is why we keep a landline. Also, DS1 is learning how to use the phone. He simply won't have access to a cell phone if we're out of the house or impaired in some way and unable to get to the phone.

Moneypenny
02-18-2009, 10:23 AM
We do keep a land line for the 911 service and because it's actually cheaper for us. We have digital phone so all calls in our state are included in the $20/month fee (we have a lot of family and friends that are in-state but long-distance so it's great to be able to make all the calls we want for just $20).

We then have Tracfone for our cell phones and I think we paid $100/each for the phone and about 1000 minutes that are good for over a year. We will come no where near using 1000 minutes. I hate cell phones and resent anyone who calls me on mine unless it is an emergency.

alexsmommy
02-18-2009, 10:47 AM
911 is why we keep a landline. Also, DS1 is learning how to use the phone. He simply won't have access to a cell phone if we're out of the house or impaired in some way and unable to get to the phone.

Yes, mostly for the kids in an emergency. My teenage DSD does not have a cell yet, but even still, I don't trust her to keep it where she can access and always have it charged once she does get one. For some reason DH still has long distance on it which I feel we can drop, but he likes the access. We did lose power for four days last summer and we both had to remember to take our chargers to work and charge the cells. I think he liked that he could call his family from home even if the electricty was off.
I think we'll always have a land line, but I'm hoping we'll drop to only the most basic service once my DSD "earns" a cell phone (which means can go more than two months without losing her housekeys. Sigh). Then we'll look at getting the kids those transitional cell phones that just call us and 911 in middle school and transition to a regular cell phone in high school.

TonFirst
02-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Yes, we keep a land line. It is the ONLY way to guarantee that a 911 call will go to my city's 911 dispatch center, and not to the county dispatch center.

Plus, since our house flooded last week (dishwasher betrayal) we haven't had any incoming phone service - only outgoing - so we've been using only our cells while we wait for repairs. I never remember to keep my phone on me and it is a pain when I'm upstairs and the phone rings in the kitchen downstairs. It is indeed handy to have a phone in every room.

Octobermommy
02-18-2009, 04:52 PM
We have a land line. Even though we don't use it too often I like to make calls with sensitive information with our corded phone. One of my friends was shocked they still make corded phones and even more shocked we had one!

KrisM
02-18-2009, 05:13 PM
We have a land line. My mom babysits at times and she doesn't have a cell phone. So, I'd have to leave mine with her in case she needed to call 911 or something and then I wouldn't have one.

And, DS does not have and I don't want him to have a cell phone either. He does know how to call dad, grandma and 911 on the regular phone and I don't want him to have to find a cell phone to do that. Mine tends to be in the car, not the house.

ThreeofUs
02-18-2009, 05:43 PM
We keep b/c electricity goes out often here, and so cell phone charging is at risk, as well as for the 9-1-1 concerns. Also, I must say that we could use the land line in blackouts (whatever the duration) when cells were overwhelmed or non-functional.

alexsmommy
02-18-2009, 06:02 PM
We have a land line. Even though we don't use it too often I like to make calls with sensitive information with our corded phone. One of my friends was shocked they still make corded phones and even more shocked we had one!

We just lost our corded phone with a basment redo and I plan on replacing the kitchen phone with a corded phone. I like being able to call out with no power. I guess I saw too many horror movies as a teen where the crazed killer comes during a storm when the power is out lol.