PDA

View Full Version : Mudoom organization?

KrisM
02-18-2009, 11:10 AM
We just painted our mudroom and I want to make it more organized than it was (which was nothing, really). It's fairly small with a lot of doors, so I'm not sure what I can do.

We have:
---------door-
|................d
d............... r
o................|
o................|
r-door--door-

- The corner with 2 walls is about 36 inches per side, so not big.
- The door on the left at the bottom of the picture is a pocket door. The rest are swing doors.
- The door on the bottom on the left is the closet.

The closet is the only closet we have down here. It's about 1/2 full with our stuff and we leave room for guests coats. I put our out-of-season stuff up in our bedroom.

We had hooks on the 2 walls that make the corner. I had 2 rows of 3 hooks on each wall. It got a bit crowded in the corners, but mostly our everyday coats and backpacks and snowpants had a home.

What I want:
My husband needs a place to put his briefcase.
Kids need places for backpacks.
I want to hang our coats.
I'd like to be able to store gloves, hats, etc by person easily.
Shoes need to be somewhere other than piled in the closet :).

I'm thinking of moving the rod in the closet up a few inches and adding some shelves below. I'd put bins on the shelves for hats, gloves, etc. One bin per person. Then, I'd keep the 2 rows of hooks on the walls and maybe add a higher shelve for a briefcase, my purse, etc. Not sure what to do about shoes.

We walk through this room many times a day - the other doors are laundry room, garage and basement. I'd love to have it neat looking with a place for things.

Anyone have a system they love or ideas to share?

I love the locker system, but we don't have the room for it :(.