PDA

View Full Version : Craigs List question...

tmarie
02-18-2009, 01:04 PM
I want to sell a few items on CL (stroller, baby swing, bassinet), but have no experience with it.
What are the safest forms of payment?
Is it safe to provide an email address or does CL provide a form of communication?
Any other safety tips?

I've sold small items on ebay, so meeting up with a person in the area is a little weird for me. Just wanted to find out how this works. :)

tmarie
dd#1 5/05
dd#2 6/08

ohiomom1121
02-18-2009, 01:10 PM
You could still list them on ebay, but Local Pick-up only. I've done that before with no problems. Then the person just had to come to my house to pick up the items. I sold a treadmill and a tricycle this way and both were easy transactions. One paid with paypal and one brought cash. :)

IDcam
02-18-2009, 01:20 PM
I utilize Craigslist's anonymous email feature (it hides your email but still sends messages to it). I always ask for cash. I've had many flakes make appointments and not show up so I don't give out my address unless the person sounds serious and I have some type of contact info for him/her as well. But as many flakes as I've dealt with on Craigslist I've also had many great transactions too (even for big ticket items like my Madonna tickets and Precor treadmill recently). Sounds like you have items you can put in your car/truck to meet with the buyer. If you don't want to give out your address I suggest meeting the person in a public area. Good luck!

kijip
02-18-2009, 01:20 PM
What are the safest forms of payment? Cash. Take nothing, nothing, nothing besides cash.

Is it safe to provide an email address or does CL provide a form of communication? Craigslist provides an anony email that comes to your email but once you respond to someone's email they have your email. Don't respond to weird sounding messages.

Any other safety tips?

Meet at a local Starbucks etc if you feel better or just have them come to your house when someone is there with you. Make sure they give a phone number and that they give you the times they can come (rather than emailing out a list of times you will be home, which in reverse is a list of times no one is at your house). I have mostly had people come here (no time to go out and meet someone who might flake.) Never had an issue in 5 years of buying and selling on CL.

tmarie
02-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Thank you!!

IDcam
02-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Craigslist provides an anony email that comes to your email but once you respond to someone's email they have your email. Don't respond to weird sounding messages.

Yes, this one's important. Don't respond unless you're ok with the other person having your email address!

o_mom
02-18-2009, 02:55 PM
I set up a Yahoo account just for selling on CL - that way no spam, etc. I only give out my cell # and only after someone has confirmed a time. Be smart about setting up a time - pick times when someone else will be home or a busy time in the neighborhood and you pick from a list of times they give you. Sometimes things are just too big or bulky, but if you can meet at a Starbucks or something that is even better. Also look at the person responding with a critical eye - I'll take the woman responding with an email address of the local city government over the guy with a hotmail account that is trying to lowball or is fishing for info. Put "cash only" on the ad so there is no question and be prepared for them to show up with less and try to talk you down right then, or that they need change (item is $25 and they only have 2-$20's.. so will you take $20 for it, etc.).

DebbieJ
02-18-2009, 03:06 PM
What are the safest forms of payment? Cash. Take nothing, nothing, nothing besides cash.

Is it safe to provide an email address or does CL provide a form of communication? Craigslist provides an anony email that comes to your email but once you respond to someone's email they have your email. Don't respond to weird sounding messages.

Any other safety tips?

Meet at a local Starbucks etc if you feel better or just have them come to your house when someone is there with you. Make sure they give a phone number and that they give you the times they can come (rather than emailing out a list of times you will be home, which in reverse is a list of times no one is at your house). I have mostly had people come here (no time to go out and meet someone who might flake.) Never had an issue in 5 years of buying and selling on CL.

^^This. I take cash only, use CL's email system, and meet in public locations only. I had two people come to my house when I was selling larger furniture items that I couldn't transport. I have never had a problem.

vonfirmath
02-18-2009, 03:12 PM
I set up a Yahoo account just for selling on CL - that way no spam, etc. I only give out my cell # and only after someone has confirmed a time. Be smart about setting up a time - pick times when someone else will be home or a busy time in the neighborhood and you pick from a list of times they give you. Sometimes things are just too big or bulky, but if you can meet at a Starbucks or something that is even better. Also look at the person responding with a critical eye - I'll take the woman responding with an email address of the local city government over the guy with a hotmail account that is trying to lowball or is fishing for info. Put "cash only" on the ad so there is no question and be prepared for them to show up with less and try to talk you down right then, or that they need change (item is $25 and they only have 2-$20's.. so will you take $20 for it, etc.).

Interesting. As a buyer, when purchasing, I figure if I don't have exact change, that I have to pay more and I don't expect change.

If someone came with 2 $20 bills for a $25 item, I would say "No, but I'll take $40 for it as well"

And I would not be inclined to let them "go out and get correct change" -- they could have done that before coming if they respected my time. They knew what the price was.

Melaine
02-18-2009, 03:14 PM
ITA with everything said by pps. I use craigslist ALL the time (sold something today) and it is a great way to make some money and clear out unneeded stuff. I prefer selling things in a large lot to make it worthwhile for me and the buyer. You might want to list all your items together at a "deal" price and raise it if you break it up ($50 for all three or $20 each). Cash only, and for most items I try to meet in a public place. I have had several "repeat customers" who buy clothing as my girls outgrow it. Once I have met them a time or two I feel comfortable having them come to my house. I've actually had playdates with a couple of them too! I have had a couple of no-shows but 99% of the time very good experiences. I've enjoyed meeting other parents in the area, too.
I actually make the majority of my money to buy the girls clothing and toys from selling stuff on craigslist. I often buy things at yard sales and thrift store and sell them for more on CL.

3blackcats
02-18-2009, 03:18 PM
I agree with everything above.

-I have a gmail address I only use for Craigslist transactions.
-Cash only in all my adds
-I always meet in a public place unless the item is too big. If they have to come to my house, I always make sure my husband is home. I feel the fewer people who have my address the better.
-I will only give out my cell or my work phone number when I have someone who seems generally interested.

Good luck!

KrisM
02-18-2009, 03:19 PM
I just sold my first thing on CL today! I've sold tons on ebay and amazon, so this was new to me. Love it!

I'm actually meeting her at her house, since I'm heading that way tomorrow anyway. I think it'll be just fine. It's the sweetpeace baby swing and it's fairly big to move around. I love that I'll just get cash in my pocket for it.

Thanks for the tips, too.

Melaine
02-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Just wanted to add, that CL really allows me to shop bargains the way I want to. When I see something that is a deal, I buy it now, think about it later. If I decide it's not the perfect gift and we don't need it, I just put it on CL and sell it there for a little or profit, or at least break even. This pretty much allows me the joy of shopping and the money I make finances the stuff I really want to buy for the girls.

o_mom
02-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Interesting. As a buyer, when purchasing, I figure if I don't have exact change, that I have to pay more and I don't expect change.

If someone came with 2 $20 bills for a $25 item, I would say "No, but I'll take $40 for it as well"

And I would not be inclined to let them "go out and get correct change" -- they could have done that before coming if they respected my time. They knew what the price was.

Oh, yes, total PITB, but it's out there. I have people who offer less once they are there figuring that you will be more likely to take the cash you can get right then vs. not getting anything or having to relist. I have made change if I had it, or if I do decide to take less for something once they see it (I noticed a small tear in an item after the person came to look at it, so I came down accordingly, for example). I just wanted the OP to be prepared that not everyone is so respectful. :)

Melaine
02-18-2009, 03:58 PM
I have had people give me more than listed price when they didn't have change though ;-)

C99
02-18-2009, 05:25 PM
I've sold a bunch of stuff on CL. IME, it's not so good for clothing, but YMMV. CL offers an option for anonymizing your e-mail address so that interested parties e-mail you via a placeholder and then you can decide whether to respond directly or not. I take photos of the items, post them, write an accurate description and set a price. When setting my prices, I look around CL and see what other sellers are offering for similar items. Depending on my objective in listing the item (do I want to make $$ or do I merely want it out of my house?), I tend to undercut the lowest price on CL for similar items. I think it's important not to fall into the fallacy of sunk costs -- just because you spent $300 for your crib doesn't mean it's worth $300 (or even $100) to anyone else -- when you list your stuff, but again YMMV. I only accept cash for items and if it's a big thing or a male buyer, I make sure my DH is home or it's daylight when the person comes to look at the item.