PDA

View Full Version : Question about yeast/thrush/diflucan

Melaine
02-18-2009, 03:09 PM
My friend has a two week old little boy and she started taking diflucan for a yeast issue with breastfeeding....he also has it (yeast, thrush,). Anyway, she said since she started taking it on Monday her DS is much more fussy and seems to be moaning even in his sleep. She feels like maybe he is more gassy due to the meds....anyone have experience with this? Her Dr. told her that DS wouldn't be reacting to the drug but I find that incredibly hard to believe. She said she was wondering if she should hold off BFing for awhile, which I said I didn't think so. Any advice? TIA!

srhs
02-18-2009, 03:57 PM
My experience with thrush is that if you need the Rx to get rid of it, you need the Rx.
If DC has the thrush too, isn't gas one of the symptoms of thrush itself? Is he being treated as well? I know the usual course is oral nystatin, although I think the efficacy is debatable. She may want to read about the fun Gentian Violet option.

Jack Newman's tips: http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/Candida-Protocol.asp

Also, I personally never hesitated to treat tummy aches with Gripe Juice or with Mylicon. Yes, I looked for the source of the prob, but I was all for relief for him too. Personal preference, I know.

Melaine
02-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Thanks! I didn't realize gas was a symptom. I did tell her about Mylicon and she said she was doing it already.
I'm not sure whether her son is being treated or not. It was really hard to have the conversation because my phone was stuck on speaker phone and my children were screaming like maniacs.
Anyway, I will send her that link to take a look at. Thanks!!!

srhs
02-18-2009, 04:10 PM
Thanks! I didn't realize gas was a symptom.
Okay, I started to worry I made that up. So I looked on kellymom, and it linked me to here: http://breastfeeding.hypermart.net/thrush.html which does list gas as a symptom.
I also read elsewhere gas in the tummy would increase while the yeast was dying off.
GL to your friend!

Melaine
02-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Thanks, much srhs! And congrats on your pregnancy!