PDA

View Full Version : Need advice/tips in traveling with a toddler and infant(6mos)

kusumat
02-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Both will have their own carseat on the flight. I still don't know how to manage in taking both carseats and kids moving around the airport till boarding even Dh will be there too. Any advice?

Also, how to handle the earpain for an infant when the plane taking off and landing if she will be in the carseat?

TIA!

C99
02-18-2009, 05:16 PM
I traveled with 3 kids by myself last winter. It sounds daunting, but it's really not that bad. The worst part is going through the security line, but they have special lanes for families now. When I travel w/ the kids now, I only bring 1 carseat for the plane b/c DD and DS1 are fine w/ just the lap belt on a plane. That said, when we did travel with more than 1 carseat, I'd put 1 carseat in the stroller, hang the other one on the back of the stroller or hand carry, wear the baby and have the other 2 kids hold my hand or the stroller handle. Give myself plenty of time to get to the gate, get a gate check stub for the stroller, ply them with snacks at the gate and on the plane.

For take-off and landing, I do suckers for toddlers & older and water bottle for the baby. Truthfully, only my oldest child ever got a seat as an infant. I did lap babies with the other two because I could nurse them on the way up/down.

deannanb
02-19-2009, 08:20 AM
look under the travel section here - lots of great advice! (some postings are old, but they still apply to what you are going to do)

tylenol for baby - it does help!
I'm off to get a crying baby - or I'd write more -

mbbailey
02-19-2009, 09:44 AM
look under the travel section here - lots of great advice! (some postings are old, but they still apply to what you are going to do)

tylenol for baby - it does help!
I'm off to get a crying baby - or I'd write more -

hi. did you do your tylenol an hour before take off? my friend recommended benadryl but i have to ask doc about that.

maestramommy
02-19-2009, 09:45 AM
We used our Mac for getting the carseats through security, and we checked it at the gate. The kids we wore, but Dora is now able to walk on her own. On our last trip to CA we actually left the stroller at home and carried the carseats ourselves. It was a bit of a hassle, but it was very nice not to have to worry about the stroller since we never really use it.

Our carry ons are limited to a backpack for Dh and diaper bag and purse for me. We carry what we need for everyone in those two bags.

hillview
02-19-2009, 09:52 AM
It will be fine! We travel a lot with our 2. You can take both carseats easily. Security will be a hassle but fine. Take a stroller, put the babyseat with baby (or a bag) in that if it holds it safely. You can carry the baby in a sling or leave the baby in the seat. Bring a bottle for take off AND landing -- that helps the ears (pacis can sometimes also work but not for my kids).
/hillary

mbbailey
02-19-2009, 11:12 AM
does anyone have suggestions for take off and landing for kids just off the bottle? tia