PDA

View Full Version : 18 Month check up what 2 expect???

Nooknookmom
02-18-2009, 05:23 PM
I am just now getting around to DD's 18 mo ck up b/c we delayed vaxes. So we're going in today at 2:45. I did not vax her w/ MMR and still do not want to b/c I am scared of it.

I am not sure if we missed any other vaxes. Anyone out there remember what goes on at 18 months?

TIA

mommylamb
02-18-2009, 05:33 PM
We had the last in the Hep A and the last in the Hep B series at DS's 18 month check. That was it for vaxes, but we have stayed on schedule, so the MMR was at his 15 month. DS has never had an adverse reaction to any of them (and I think the MMR/autism link-- and this is just me, please don't flame me-- is a bunch of hooha).

lorinick
02-18-2009, 05:40 PM
We got the MMR shot at the 18mt check up which we did last week. I delayed the MMR shot he should have gotten it at 12 mts. We also got the Hep A abd B as well. So three all toghether. NO problems and I'm happy to say he is talking more and more everyday. I was afraid of that shot too, but I was just as scared not to get it.

Nooknookmom
02-18-2009, 05:45 PM
We had the last in the Hep A and the last in the Hep B series at DS's 18 month check. That was it for vaxes, but we have stayed on schedule, so the MMR was at his 15 month. DS has never had an adverse reaction to any of them (and I think the MMR/autism link-- and this is just me, please don't flame me-- is a bunch of hooha).

No flaming, lol! I am just a big chicken b/c of all the hoopla going around. Thanks for the info :)

Nooknookmom
02-18-2009, 05:47 PM
We got the MMR shot at the 18mt check up which we did last week. I delayed the MMR shot he should have gotten it at 12 mts. We also got the Hep A abd B as well. So three all toghether. NO problems and I'm happy to say he is talking more and more everyday. I was afraid of that shot too, but I was just as scared not to get it.

My mom keeps reminding me that she had Measles & Rubella(sp?) and it was AWFUL and that I shoud get her the shot. This was back in the 30's or 40's and it was prevelant.

**Ugh** I don't know what to do. Maybe if I wait a little longer I'll feel more comfortable.

ETA: Glad you guys are so quick to reply THANK YOU!!!

brittone2
02-18-2009, 05:55 PM
My mom keeps reminding me that she had Measles & Rubella(sp?) and it was AWFUL and that I shoud get her the shot. This was back in the 30's or 40's and it was prevelant.

**Ugh** I don't know what to do. Maybe if I wait a little longer I'll feel more comfortable.

FWIW, rubella in childhood is actually considered a pretty mild illness. Was she older when she had it, or is she remembering that incorrectly.

Measles is definitely not a picnic and can be serious, obviously, but Rubella is generally considered pretty mild in childhood. The risk is obviously if one contracts it while pregnant.

egoldber
02-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Perhaps she had mumps and not rubella? Mumps is really very wretched. My mom to this day talks about how awful it was when my older sister had mumps. (My sister is now 50. ;) )

brittone2
02-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Perhaps she had mumps and not rubella? Mumps is really very wretched. My mom to this day talks about how awful it was when my older sister had mumps. (My sister is now 50. ;) )

BUt then again, there's a huge percentage of subclinical cases...I think I remember seeing estimates of 25-30% even? Those still result in immunity.

caheinz
02-18-2009, 06:19 PM

What are you afraid of?

Just a week or two ago, it came out that the actual data in the original study to link MMR to autism was not just cherry-picked or unethically collected, but outright falsified. The medical records for the 12 kids in the study don't match the descriptions in the paper at all. The vast majority of the kids had symptoms showing up before (or long after) the shot, not right after, as the paper reported.

The main author is under investigation now...

egoldber
02-18-2009, 07:56 PM
BUt then again, there's a huge percentage of subclinical cases...I think I remember seeing estimates of 25-30% even? Those still result in immunity.

Could be. :) I was just throwing mumps out as an alternative. I think a lot of people get the various components of the MMR confused.

brittone2
02-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Could be. :) I was just throwing mumps out as an alternative. I think a lot of people get the various components of the MMR confused.

Sorry...I didn't mean to come across as dismissive. :hug: Mumps is no fun, I'm sure. What was interesting to me was that during the outbreak in 2006, the media kept saying it was generally a "fairly mild viral illness" that "rarely leads to complications" and "causes jaw and salivary gland swelling" because there was nothing they could do about the outbreak, and most of the people in the outbreak were vaccinated.

But when there is an outbreak with unvaccinated people, mumps turns into a horrible disease, kwim?

I'm not discounting the fact that mumps *can* lead to severe complications (sterility, encephalitis, deafness, etc.), but it was interesting to see the coverage/spin whatever you want to call it of how minimized the disease was when there wasn't much they could do to control the outbreak, kwim? So to keep everyone calm, it was framed as a relatively "mild" disease.

for example:
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Story?id=1817842&page=1

I remember hearing many similar reports at the time in the media.

mommylamb
02-18-2009, 09:51 PM
No flaming, lol! I am just a big chicken b/c of all the hoopla going around. Thanks for the info :)

If it makes you feel any better, my DS cried for maybe 20 seconds, and then was fine. Absolutely no change in behavior what so ever.

Nooknookmom
02-19-2009, 12:55 AM
Well we ended up getting 4 out of 5 remaining vax. I left the MMR for her 2 year ck up. So far not even a fever, yay!

She said "oweeee!" and then squealed for a while though. Did better than I would've! Thanks again for the reassurance!