PDA

View Full Version : so who's had a colonoscopy??

kochh2
02-18-2009, 05:44 PM
well, after losing about 25 lbs, and battling IBS for toooo many months, my GI doc has decided its finally time to "take a look".... i am still nursing my 22 month old, and i begin my prep tomorrow... someone, please give it to me straight... how bad is it, really?? prep included!! I'm terrified!!! I will also have endoscopy at the same time, if that helps...
I am using magnesium citrate and dulcolax for prep, per the GI doc...

:( Holly

tnrnchick74
02-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Make the mag citrate REALLY cold and down it in as few swigs as you can. The ducolox is fine. Make sure you have some moist paper wipes instead of plain TP for prep night. Your butt will be sore. Make sure to drink LOTS of fluid as you are doing your prep as it will dehydrate you. Usually its clear fluid diet after a certain point - no red jello or popcicles.

The next day, you should be given a urine preg test; and IV will be started; and they will give you meds through your IV before they begin. Most places use a great cocktail so you don't even remember the procedure.

You will feel bloated and gassy for the next 12 hours - fart, fart, fart. Don't eat anything greasy or terribly spicy. You will feel great in about 4 hours (no grogginess), but you are still impaired for about 8 hours so no driving and make sure to have some help with the kiddos.

The upper scope is a piece of cake.

schums
02-18-2009, 06:01 PM
My dad just had one (like on Monday). He's had 4 or 5 total. According to him, the worst part is the "prep". He HATES the stuff you have to drink, and you really have to stay by a bathroom all the time, which means he can't really leave the house.

The procedure itself, you're knocked out for (or at least in a "twilight" sleep), so it's not bad at all. When he's discharged, Dad always goes out for a HUGE breakfast. Come to think of it, so did my mom, so there must not be any lasting GI issues. I think the thought of the procedure (they're putting WHAT WHERE?) is much worse than the actual event.

Good luck! Hope you get some answers.

SnuggleBuggles
02-18-2009, 06:14 PM
B/c of my dh's cancer he has to have these yearly for life. He has had 7 or 8 now. There are several different preps out there and he favors the ones where you have to drink the least amount of the solution. He would tell you the worst things are the hunger and the taste of the drink. He would highly recommend the Special K protein water.

My dh has always been more awake than is being described so far. He can tell you about what they saw and talked about during. He is sleepy when he gets out but I can easily talk to him and he fills me in on the results before the Dr. gets there.

We always go out to eat as soon as it is done. Scheduling first thing Monday morning is his pick.

GL!

Beth

Rainbows&Roses
02-18-2009, 06:49 PM
The procedure is EASY. The prep was one of the worst experiences of my life, but I gag really easy and the stuff I had to drink was just disgusting. I couldn't even drink it all.

Good luck!

happy2bamom
02-18-2009, 07:25 PM
I agree with PP. The prep is the worst part and the only part that I remember. They use great drugs for the actual procedure, so I don't remember a thing. The prep part is difficult and nasty. Keep the stuff cold, swig it down as quickly as possible and stay close to the toilet. You won't get much sleep the night before the precedure, b/c you'll be on the toilet.

Good luck! Oh yeah, plan on staying at home ALL day the day of the procedure too. You'll fart like you have never farted before!

brittone2
02-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Just a big :hug: Holly.

stonecali
02-18-2009, 07:48 PM
I have had about 7 colonoscopies because I have ulcerative colitis. I have tried so many different preps. The prep is horrible.

My latest one I used the Mag Citrate or whatever - it was by far the best!!! My dr. told me to mix it in gatorade and I could barely taste it (believe me when I say that.... because 4 times I had different preps and they were so bad I ended up throwing it up - twice I used pills but it was a lot of horse pills!). So, at least (IMHO) you are doing the best prep.

Two very important words: Baby Wipes
One more word for your consideration: Desitin

The actual procedure is SOOOOOO easy. You are knocked out before they even "do" anything to you. Sometimes I have woken up during the procedure but try to just close my eyes and go back to sleep.

And like the PPs said, you will have gas for a while afterward because the scoping actually gets air up there. I always go out for a big huge breakfast afterward.... I never had to wait (although I don't have IBD so I can eat whatever I want, it's the stress that makes me flare up!)

GOOD LUCK! I have another one coming up this summer. JOYOUS.

P.S. I was breastfeeding DS during my last one.... my pediatrician said to pump and dump for about 12 hours after getting the procedure.

ccather
02-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Another Ulcerative Colitis person here too. Hate the prep and can honestly say that my last round was not that bad. Mostly because I'm in remission right now, so I wasn't fighting a flare and instigating a colon flush.

I was surprised with what my doc let me do for the prep. I did a whole bottle of Miralax (236g-ish I think was the size) 7 doses every 15 minutes in 2 hours. I got to put it in Hawaiian punch! Red punch! I checked my prep paper fifty times to make sure that I could use the red one! I could NOT taste the stuff at all! Got sick of chugging Hawaiian Punch by the last dose. But it went down and out with no problem! And I have major gag issues with the golytely and the fleet prep kit #1. But *no* issues with this prep! I'd say I loved it, but that's getting carried away a bit :)

I knew a guy that stayed awake during the procedure itself. If you can take it, you'd avoid any issues with pumping. I'm happy to have them knock me out for the procedure.

Good Luck!

Laurel
02-18-2009, 08:37 PM
You've gotten great advice so far- please make sure someone is around to pamper you and take care of DC the day of the procedure! Try to read a good book or watch a movie between trips to the toilet ;)

I will agree the prep is bad, but, as a nursing mom, the worst part for me was the hunger!

Tinkerbell313
02-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Maybe its too late since your exam is tomorrow...but, for others, I suggest watching and minimizing what you eat a week before the test. That way, you are not by the bathroom as much. At least it worked for me. My body had emptied out lots on its own and there wasn't much for the citrate to empty. Made it lots easier...especially the drive to the appointment (no accidents)

Laurel
02-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Maybe its too late since your exam is tomorrow...but, for others, I suggest watching and minimizing what you eat a week before the test. That way, you are not by the bathroom as much. At least it worked for me. My body had emptied out lots on its own and there wasn't much for the citrate to empty. Made it lots easier...especially the drive to the appointment (no accidents)

Yes, I forgot to add this in my PP. This really helps!

brittone2
02-18-2009, 11:01 PM
I knew a guy that stayed awake during the procedure itself. If you can take it, you'd avoid any issues with pumping. I'm happy to have them knock me out for the procedure.

Good Luck!

Yeah, no personal experience on this other than knowing what my mom and dad went through with their procedures. But, my original Hypnobirthing teacher did her colonoscopy with hypnosis only. Not sure if I'd be brave enough to do that, but she said it went fine.

MMMommy
02-18-2009, 11:40 PM
It's been over 10 years since I've had an endoscopy/colonoscopy. I had both done at the same time. For me, the hard part was not being able to eat solid food the day before. I was starving. But that's just me b/c I obsess about food when I can't have it. I forgot the exact requirements, but the day before the procedure, I recall having to drink large amounts of the prescribed liquid, having to have an enema, and also not being able to actually eat solid foods. But in terms of the procedures (both the endoscopy and the colonoscopy), I felt no pain or discomfort b/c I was completely asleep. So no pain, no discomfort. I recall feeling gaseous after waking up (embarrassingly gaseous, if you know what I mean), but I think that is all standard procedure.

caheinz
02-19-2009, 02:01 AM
I've had the procedure while nursing. As I recall, I called the anesthesia department and received confirmation that what I would get would be fine. (No pump'n'dump.) Keep in mind that they're the ones who will know what the meds are -- I wouldn't call the ped until you find out what's in the cocktail.

I haven't had a prep that I could keep down yet. But I'll be getting them on a regular basis, so maybe I'll find one eventually.

kochh2
02-19-2009, 07:45 PM
well, just a big huge thank you for the honest truths from all of the veterans on here LOL!! i didn't have cold mag citrate tonight.. GROSS!!! i will put it in the fridge ffor tomorrow... and i will warn DH about the um, noise to expect afterarwards!! the hunger hasn't been bad today, partly b/c i am not often hungry... i'm thinking maybe i have gastroparesis or something... not sure, we'll see tomorrow!! i'm looking forward to a nice deep NAP!! i doubt i'll have the guts (heheh) to come back right away and post my "how i did" story... but please keep me in your thoughts tomorrow !!!

MMMommy
02-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Good luck tomorrow, and don't feel anxious. The procedure itself is painless, and you shouldn't feel a thing.

kijip
02-20-2009, 03:30 AM
:hug: I have BTDT more than once. It's not fun, but it is over soon enough. Others have given good prep advice. All I will add is to have your favorite snack or meal ready for once it is over. I was flipping starving each time.