PDA

View Full Version : Sunscreen for 9month old?

slworld
02-19-2009, 01:59 AM
We will be travelling this summer and I was wondering if it is safe to use sunscreen on my 9month old and if yes could you please recommend a good brand (preferably without too many chemicals).

Thanks

poppy
02-19-2009, 02:24 AM
I asked our pedi this question recently--he didn't name a brand but gave us a couple of rules. Only put it on if the baby will be out all day (a little sun, not necessary, good Vit. D exposure) and none on the face. A hat to shield the baby's face.

I use Cali Baby for shampoo. I would think this is a good brand for sunscreen too. I haven't used it personally though.

Here's the link:

http://www.californiababy.com/no-fragrance-spf-30-sunscreen-lotion-2-9-oz.html

elaineandmichaelsmommy
02-19-2009, 02:35 AM
If you're going to be out for an extended period of time i would apply it. Call your ped first and see if there are any recommendations. But I'm a very fair skinned person and have always burned easily and am a little quick to use the sunscreen on my children.

Enjoy your fun in the sun.

tnrnchick74
02-19-2009, 06:29 AM
Living in FL, my ped recommended sunscreen from 4 months + if we were going to be outside more than just a quick "from the car into" trip. California Babies is one he recommended. It's kinda $$$ but you use just a little bit! I use it on my face, as my skin is very sensitive and I've had no problems!

Put it on, rub it in, and let it sit for about 15 min before you go outside. We put it on all exposed skin (face, ears, arms, legs) plus use a hat and sunglasses.

hillview
02-19-2009, 10:18 AM
CA Baby is the best. My pedi says after 6 months is safe (and before if you HAVE to be in the sun a lot). Be careful around the eyes etc. CA Baby gets slathered on across eyelids etc with no issues here!
/hillary

mommylamb
02-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Gosh, my ped said it was pretty much safe from the get go. I've always put sun screen on DS in the summer (he always wears a hat too if he'll be out in the sun).

mbbailey
02-19-2009, 11:11 AM
coppertone pure and simple water babies with spf 50. it's new and really good if your dc has sensitive skin.

hillview
02-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Oh and to add what mommylamb said, go with longsleeves and hats etc. We get the rashguards for the beach/pool (ls).
/hillary

doberbrat
02-19-2009, 01:48 PM
I called my pedi at 11mo to ask and was told NO to keep her out of the sun ;)

brittone2
02-19-2009, 01:48 PM
DS's first beach trip was when he was 2 months. I didn't want to use sunscreen that early on him, so we bought one of these:
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___66479 (affectionately called his little HazMat suit LOL). Of course, the choices as far as SPF rashguards, etc. have really expanded since then (it was 5 years ago that he was that young!). But it worked well. I also used my solarveil sling for extra protection on beach walks, etc.

With both kids, I use (and have used for a while) the CA Baby sunscreen.