PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist WWYD about new items for sale at a large profit?

veronica
02-19-2009, 09:51 AM
I saw a post on my local craigslist that had a ton of brand new items listed for sale. ALL OF THEM- were available at Target's toy clearance for 75% off and the prices on CL are almost retail. they have the star wars didj, rose petal cottage, board games, and even the large pony thing, etc. all from very high prices.

I am interested in one of their items but wonder if I should call them on it? Should I say "Oh, well I would really like XX and stalked my target to find it, along with most of the items you listed, when they were 75% off. Would you accept XX?" The retail price of the item I like is $90, target sold it for $23 or so, they are selling for $70 on CL and I would offer $40. Certainly my offer is much lower than their listing but I know they would make money on it.....any opinions?

KBecks
02-19-2009, 09:53 AM
You can offer but it's up to them what to sell for. They can set any price.

KrisM
02-19-2009, 09:58 AM
You can offer, but be prepared for a no. They'll probably tell you that if you saw it at Target for $23 then you should go get it at Target for $23.

egoldber
02-19-2009, 09:58 AM
You can always offer. They can always choose not to accept. :)

WatchingThemGrow
02-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Oh, this irks me. There is a lady I've seen and a family too, just running around to each kids' clearance/gear sections, throwing things in their cart, then listing them on CL for 2-3x what they were in the store. They repost them every other day. It just makes me sad that other people could've come across the items in the store and been happy buying them at a reduced price.

KrisM
02-19-2009, 10:23 AM
I keep thinking about this. How do you know she got them at 75% off? The same toys were at 50% off before that. Maybe she got it at 50% and paid $45.

If she did pay $23 and you offer $40, sure that's a profit, but it's less than half of her asking price. If you didn't know that it an item that went ot 75% off, would you still offer $40? Is that what it's worth to you?

Maybe she spends hours a day hitting Targets to resell these at a profit so she can feed her family.

I, personally, sell things on ebay and Amazon. Most of the year, it's ebay. I do buy at garage sales, salvation army, goodwill, etc and resell for a profit on ebay. During the holidays, I buy new toys at various stores and resell them for a profit. I generally spend 3/4 of my day hitting stores and looking for those hard-to-find toys. I do this so that I can continue to be a SAHM with my kids. I don't make a fortune, but I do make enough to supplement my DH's income to allow me to stay home. Is this terribly wrong of me? I don't think so.

mommylamb
02-19-2009, 10:24 AM
I think I'd just leave it alone and buy the toys at Target or elsewhere.

MelissaTC
02-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Oh, this irks me. There is a lady I've seen and a family too, just running around to each kids' clearance/gear sections, throwing things in their cart, then listing them on CL for 2-3x what they were in the store. They repost them every other day. It just makes me sad that other people could've come across the items in the store and been happy buying them at a reduced price.

It is a little annoying but at the same time, things will sell at prices people are willing to pay. Look at ebay. It makes a lot of money for some people. If they are willing to drive around to various stores and go through the hassle of scouting out the goods, I see no problem with them profiting from it. JMO...

Melaine
02-19-2009, 10:27 AM
I do this, buy at clearance and resell for a profit. I have no problem doing it, and don't care when others do it either. People are more than welcome to make me offers and I sometimes take them, sometimes not. It's a basic principle of business: buy low, sell high. I spend a LOT of time shopping deals and make money off that time. I stay home with my kids so I have time to drive around town looking for deals, other people may not have the time or luck that I do, but this is an income to me, and I look at it like a job.
I never buy anything without doing the price research online, so I expect others to do so too. I am not trying to trick anyone, and I am still always selling below retail. People have the option of buying, or not buying.

o_mom
02-19-2009, 10:37 AM
I agree - you can offer, but be prepared to not get it. I also agree that you have no idea what they paid - it could have been 50% off, in which case your offer of less than half of retail is not going to be reasonable. I don't think there is any reason to be mad at people who get a good deal and are trying to make money on it - I certainly don't get mad at Target for selling stuff at 3-4 times their cost.

kijip
02-19-2009, 10:39 AM
You can offer, but be prepared for a no. They'll probably tell you that if you saw it at Target for $23 then you should go get it at Target for $23.

Yup. If it is no longer available to you at that low clearance price then it's irrelevant what it may or may not have sold for on clearance.